New Bosch motors + better battery integration

ncpdnc

Pedelecer
May 28, 2017
Europe!
Looks smart. :cool:
I am new to these product release cycles. May I ask, what sort of timeline it usually takes OEMs to introduce the new systems and for the older systems to go down in price? :oops: (Like for example it's usually two to three months after a new release to buy a generation before for iPhones)
I am currently in the market and weight/prices are just silly especially for their 500 Wh batteries. :eek:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant buy bosch motors so price will still be high as you can only buy a new motor out of warranty if you send back the motor you have first.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: ncpdnc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Good if it's as easy to remove as the current battery setup. I guess most people remove the battery for charging?
.. I guess they do.. otherwise you need to bring power to a shed or have the bike in a room or the corridor.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gaz

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
the battery intergration is certainly different from current models,
but notice the active plus is 50nm same as current active moter
but there is a weight saving in the new moters,
I would imagine bikes with the new cset up will be quite pricey.
if it means a lower battery cost for older bosch ebikes that would be good,
or cx equipped models become cheaper.
always the way you buy something and it gets superceded quite quickly

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dealer price for a 500w bosch batt is just under 500 quid from magura, the shop i got my batt from left there invoice on it and paid 700 :mad:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all bosch parts come from magura and dealers have stock to sell at £700 there cheaper over in germany £620 i think ;)

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
A little more detail in this article.

http://ebiketips.co.uk/content/news/bosch-launch-new-active-line-motors-631

Biggest change is dropping x2.5 gearbox and going to direct drive so standard size chainrings.

I thought current Active was 50nm but appears it is 40nm so slightly less powerful than Shimano STEPs.

They still need to update controls and display for CX MTB drive when they are released. Both a exposed in crashed. Not really issue on street bike.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Good if it's as easy to remove as the current battery setup. I guess most people remove the battery for charging?
I was thinking about this.
Do most people remove the battery?
I do everything I can to AVOID removing the battery!
I don't think I'd want to buy an e-bike if I was forced to remove the battery every time it needed charging. Not if there were alternatives that avoided this anyway.

I remove it every time..summer and winter....

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I was thinking about this.
Do most people remove the battery?
I do everything I can to AVOID removing the battery!
I don't think I'd want to buy an e-bike if I was forced to remove the battery every time it needed charging. Not if there were alternatives that avoided this anyway.
Any of the bikes I have had (2), could be recharged in situ or by removing the battery pack from the bike.
Think about the practical aspects .. bikes are big items and if they are to be charged inside the home .. house or apartment then they need to be close to a power outlet or have trailing sockets accross the floor. If the bike is kept outside, in a shed or garage then power must be brought there. If the bike was to be charged outside, then the charger needs to be weather protected.. I blew one up when rain got in..
My practice now is to store the bike in the powerless shed, remove the battery and charge it indoors, it takes all of 2 seconds to remove or replace the battery

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Think about the practical aspects .. bikes are big items and if they are to be charged inside the home .. house or apartment then they need to be close to a power outlet or have trailing sockets accross the floor. If the bike is kept outside, in a shed or garage then power must be brought there. If the bike was to be charged outside, then the charger needs to be weather protected.. I blew one up when rain got in..
My practice now is to store the bike in the powerless shed, remove the battery and charge it indoors, it takes all of 2 seconds to remove or replace the battery
Think about the practical aspects. Ebikes are expensive (well ... decent ones are anyway). Most 'powerless sheds' are damp so you don't want to be keeping anything in there that you don't want to corrode and most decent sheds or garages have power!
And I bet it takes more than 2 seconds for the whole act of finding a set of keys and removing the battery.