Need for speed

Neil72

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 28, 2017
Chester
Hi all. I've got a pedalease across hybrid 700c. 48v 1000w model. It's got a throttle and pedal assist. Is there any way I can make it faster, for private land use obviously. Cheers guys

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will need an lcd to try and access more speed. Also a pic of the controller and its wiring may help as some controllers have a wired link which can enable a few more mph.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Neil72

Jun 28, 2017
Chester
Hi guys. No way does my bike go that fast, which I'm unhappy with. Here's a pic of the display, wiring to follow, hopefully. Thanks guys 149864276216975864640.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

Before anything, you need to tell us how fast it goes. Install a cycle computer on the rear wheel, then spin it up off the ground to see what the maximum speed is. They're normally around 28mph, but you won't get that speed on the road.

The main problem is the lack of torque. You need to feed your motor 35 to 40 amps to bring it to life, but that would need a new controller and battery.

I keep saying it, but I guess people don't hear it until after they bought their kit: They think that a 1000w kit is going to be a lot more powerful than a 250w one. In many cases it isn't. You can't go by the numbers. You have to get a motor with characteristics appropriate to your needs.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh
D

Deleted member 4366

Tescos, Halfords, any bike shop, though the bike shop ones are normally a lot more expensive than the Tesco or Ebay ones, but they're often better.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Now you have shown the controller 22a isn't much for a 1kw D/D hub, would be a different story on a 250 -500w geared with appropriate rpm. A 36v Q128c or similar hub will quite happily toot along at 19-22 mph with 22a.

An unknown fact is we don't know your motor rpm, probably more then 390rpm.
A higher amp controller will be able to get more power and torque to the hub via a battery but you will need something like a 30Q or a Sony VC5a celled battery which can deliver 90a or more ( otherwise voltage sag will be horrible) in 6p configuration like the large killer whale batteries. Then you are spending another £500 +.

Last edited:

Neil72

Jun 28, 2017
Chester
Now you have shown the controller 22a isn't much for a 1kw D/D hub, would be a different story on a 250 -500w geared with appropriate rpm. A 36v Q128c or similar hub will quite happily toot along at 19-22 mph with 22a.

An unknown fact is we don't know your motor rpm, probably more then 390rpm.
A higher amp controller will be able to get more power and torque to the hub via a battery but you will need something like a 30Q or a Sony VC5a celled battery which can deliver 90a or more ( otherwise voltage sag will be horrible) in 6p configuration like the large killer whale batteries. Then you are spending another £500 +.
I appreciate that. To be honest, its all a bit over my head. I can't spend any more. I just thought I'd possibly be able to tweak it and get more speed. I was sent instructions earlier, but I'm absolutely crap at all this stuff so don't know what im doing at all. Honest, unless it's really simple and possibly with a video, im lost. Yours sincerely, c.rap atthis

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
He has a 48 V battery so does have 1050 W on tap. A 36 V Q128C wheel would get down the road pretty smartly with that controller and battery if they are compatible.

D

Deleted member 4366

He has a 48 V battery so does have 1050 W on tap. A 36 V Q128C wheel would get down the road pretty smartly with that controller and battery if they are compatible.
They are compatible, but we need to take things one step at a time. first we need to determine whether his motor and other bits are working as they should. the cycle computer would be a good start so that we have some absolute numbers to work with.

Advertisers