Cycling Undercrackers

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Apologies for raising this delicate topic but...

I've now covered over 1300 miles on my Kalkhoff Pro Connect 9G and am very happy with it, one of the often stated advantages of an ebike is that one can travel to work in normal clothes without getting too hot and sweaty and needing to change/shower. This is certainly true, however I do find I experience a certain level of discomfort and an occasional sense of unease as the old clementines rattle around the saddle area like a pair of snooker balls in a prison sock.

I normally favour a fairly close fitting boxer but are there a better sort of gruds for preventing this? I'm generally of a tardy nature timekeeping wise so having to change when I arrive at work may compound the issues with me already arriving late so it would need to be something comfortable for all day wear?

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
(Am I allowed to admit that I giggled a little when I read this and the imagery created ;) ) :D

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Normal Y-fronts should be OK. Before you set off, stick your hand down and pull everything forward. The tighter they are, the less chance of things moving back. Don't go too tight though because your colleagues will wonder why you're talking in a high voice.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
D8veh,
Are you advocating pulling yourself off before mounting your bike!

Apologies to any ladies whom may be reading this thread, it really isn't necessary to do that. A simple adjustment to the waistband is all you need to do..

Reactions: Daniel Chapman

rich_r

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2017
North Yorkshire
I tend to go for a pair of cheap cycling underpants from Aldi for the commute - they're only lightly padded so you can wear them for a while off the bike without feeling odd. Not sure I'd want to wear them all day though, but they're fine for sitting on the train and the walk into the office. Then get changed when it's convenient.

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Judging by some of the Tour de France riders, they are either extremely well endowed or wearing codpieces under the lycra. They don't seem to have any bother of this sort over the 2200 miles of the Tour.

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
No help here sorry, back in '55 you were 'king, if you could spell derailleur. and if you had one you used Vaseline round the bits,.Sturmey Archer, magic thing 3 gears .Brexit a bit late for them.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Getting a comfortable saddle will make a lot of difference.

I have several pairs of cycling shorts. I use baggy style MTB ones. And I use separate padded shorts under these. I have some cheapo Chinese boxer type ones, but they're very 'snug' and aren't really my cup of tea.

I've found shorts under £20 tend to be okay, but don't breathe. Altura and Endura Humvee suit my needs nicely and Wiggle have a good current deal on the Humvee's:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-hummvee-baggy-shorts/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360246970&kpid=5360246970&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Clothing&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sNOsTxDgF_dc|pcrid|67090791662|pkw||pmt||prd|5360246970uk

The cheaper boxers are okay, but you need to go up a size to get a reasonable fit - these can be changed once you get to work to save feeling like you're waddling around in a nappy!:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Men-Cycling-Underwear-Gel-3D-Padded-Bike-Bicycle-Riding-Shorts-Pants-M-XXL-UK-/321447937926?var=&hash=item4ad7ca4786:m:mtVoX55buTrhw5fZ_miFSfA

I'm XXL size (36/38 waist) and while I can get these on (just), I should have bought XXXL.

I've just put my Brooks B17 saddle on my ebike and now don't need padding for my four mile commute.

Gaz

D

Deleted member 4366

Jump up in the air, then hoick your waist band,normally does it for us simply equipped, the 'gifted' may need to resort to other methods.
Maybe that works for you wimps down in Essex, but here in Telford, we have big ones, which need careful arrangement. I bet you have only size 8 feet too.

Reactions: Croxden

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Maybe that works for you wimps down in Essex, but here in Telford, we have big ones, which need careful arrangement. I bet you have only size 8 feet too.
Nope! I am 184 cm tall with size 10 feet ( that's 44/45 in€ ) with a chest of 4 ft, all other extensions are in proportion to the normal.

Strapping Essex lad that I am.

D

Deleted member 4366

I heard on TV that nearly everybody in Essex gets their features artificially adjusted in some way, but I never heard of foot lengthening before.

Where exactly in South Essex are you? I know that area pretty well because I spent most of my young life there. I lived in Basildon, went to school in Grays, later lived in West Thurrock, where I met my wife. My sister still lives in Pitsea.

I know every good fishing spot on the river Thames all the way from the Dartford bridge to Shewburyness, if that helps. The best was the pipe fishing at West Thurrock Power Station, which I think is now out of commission. They screened off the fish in the water inlet and diverted them back to the river down a pipe that came out of the sea wall. We used to put a keepnet across it. I had just about everything in that net including, would you believe, pipefish. The best were plaice, dover soles, cod in the winter, bass in the summer, and nearly always we got loads of prawns. Most common were flounders, spratts (in season), smelts and eels. One guy got a 4 ft conger eel out of it. I also saw a 10lb bass.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
I experience a certain level of discomfort and an occasional sense of unease as the old clementines rattle around the saddle area like a pair of snooker balls in a prison sock.
I hold you solely responsible for the ejection of coffee that ended up on my screen when I read the above. Priceless.

As for undercrackers, the padded lycra stuff is the only real option I have found that works but as you realise, you dont really want to be walking around in them. Not unless you are one of those unique individuals who likes to partake in adult infant role plays..