WANTED: Panasonic Crank Drive 36V Motor for older Kalkhoff ProConnect 8

Kaptain Kreman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 10, 2015
Hi,

The 36V Panasonic motor in my olderKalkhoff Pro-Connect 8 failed about 3 months ago.

I took the bike to 50 Cycles but their policy is just to replace the motor (at an estimated cost of £600!) rather than investigating the motor internally. This was more expense than I can justify to spend on this spare bike .

ElectricBikeSales in York opened up the motor for me but found that the problem was in the encapsulated circuit board so were unable to effect a repair.

Does anyone have a second-hand motor for sale (or a bike containing such a motor that is crash-damaged or has a failed battery etc)?

Alternatively is there a source of new Panasonic motors at a more reasonable cost?

If all else fails, I like the bike so much I would consider riding it without the battery if I could reduce the dead weight of the motor as well. Has anyone ever cut the motor casing leaving the bits that attach into the frame and the area around the bottom bracket so that you can still pedal and ditched the heavy bits? Is this even feasible?

Any help and advice greatfully received.

Thanks,

Chris

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As you've found these units were designed to be unrepairable, and the replacement unit prices from Panasonic are high.

None has cut away the motor casing to my knowledge, It's not worth it since the weight saving would be minimal.

But some have stripped out all the works other than the pedelec pedal shaft to use it as a normal bike. One has done that and also converted it to a front hub motor e-bike with a rack battery.

Kaptain Kreman

Feb 10, 2015
Thanks for this rapid reply.

As other people seem to have gutted the motor internals I think I shall do the same and ride it as a pedal bike whilst I wait to see if I can source a replacement motor at reasonable cost.

If I can get one then I shall fit it.

If not then I might try a Bafang BBS01 unit.

Could I use the existing 36v battery to power the bafang?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Could I use the existing 36v battery to power the bafang?
Whether its a Panasonic or Kalkhoff-BMZ battery, it should easily be up to powering a BBS01.

Fitting the BBS01 to that frame might be problematic though, the Panasonic pedalshaft assembly isn't in any way like a normal bottom bracket. Much easier to convert to a hub motor setup.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's a few on E-bay at the moment. £600 though. A couple of months ago, there was a new S-pedelec one that went for about £160.

Kaptain Kreman

Feb 10, 2015
Where are you located. I may be able to help.
Hi Emo,

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have not been online over the weekend

I live in Oakham (Rutland (East Midlands)).

I am going to the CTC New Forest Family Camping Weekend on friday and then on to Moreton-In-Marsh for the CTC Birthday Rides if that is any nearer to you.

Where are you based?

It would be fantastic if you could help me get her back on the road.

thanks,

Chris