Freego Martin Sport - Bafang MAX Drive

BargainBob

Just Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Newbury
Hello All,

Having recently registered on this forum, I've subsequently read many of your excellent contributions, particularly about the Bafang MAX drive. I have now in the last few days purchased a Freego Martin Sport bike.

So far, having only ridden a few miles, I am very pleased with it.

I am however puzzled that this model has neither brake sensors nor gear sensor. From what I had read, I was under the impression that at least brake sensors were required on a Bafang mid drive. Presuambly not on the MAX ??

I look forward to comments from any of you Bafang experts.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

You only need brake sensors if the motor runs on after you stop pedalling. if it does that and is a crank-drive, you need a gear sensor as well, otherwise a gear sensor is optional. It helps stop crashing your gears, and generally makes gear-changing smoother.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Going for a test ride of one on Thursday and will report back then.
I dont think a gearsensor would be needed on only 250 watts.

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
A mid drive motor with torque sensor doesn't need a break sensor. The engine should stop as soon as you stop pedaling. I think the only motor with gear sensor is the Bosch.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I believe the Greenway Max drive motor has the gearsensor fitted.

D

Deleted member 4366

A mid drive motor with torque sensor doesn't need a break sensor. The engine should stop as soon as you stop pedaling. I think the only motor with gear sensor is the Bosch.
It's nothing to do with torque sensor or not: It's simply dependent on the software in the controller and how fast it can respond to its sensors. Modern controllers have much more processing power than they used to so can be much faster.

There's a regulation in EN15194 that says that the motor must cut power within a certain distance when you stop pedalling. If it over-runs that distance, you need brake sensors, though, like a throttle, not always necessary but it's useful if you have them on any bike.

Kalkhoff with the Impulse motors use gear sensors. I don't know if it's just some or all models.

Last edited by a moderator:

BargainBob

Just Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Newbury
It's nothing to do with torque sensor or not: It's simply dependent on the software in the controller and how fast it can respond to its sensors. Modern controllers have much more processing power than they used to so can be much faster.

There's a regulation in EN15194 that says that the motor must cut power within a certain distance when you stop pedalling. If it over-runs that distance, you need brake sensors, though, like a throttle, not always necessary but it's useful if you have them on any bike.

Kalkhoff with the Impulse motors use gear sensors. I don't know if it's just some or all models.

Thank you all for the replies.

It was because of seeing a gear sensor on the Greenway that I raised the topic.

I understand from your comments about the torque sensor stopping drive when not pedalling. However when changing gear with a derailleur you are usually pedalling and often under some load.

I am quite used to riding a non assisted derailleur bike (not an expert though) and achieving quiet gear changes. Now riding the Freego, with no assistance the changes are pretty quiet but are definitely a bit noiser when assisted.

Hence my thoughts on the need for sensors.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thank you all for the replies.

It was because of seeing a gear sensor on the Greenway that I raised the topic.

I understand from your comments about the torque sensor stopping drive when not pedalling. However when changing gear with a derailleur you are usually pedalling and often under some load.

I am quite used to riding a non assisted derailleur bike (not an expert though) and achieving quiet gear changes. Now riding the Freego, with no assistance the changes are pretty quiet but are definitely a bit noiser when assisted.

Hence my thoughts on the need for sensors.
My comments in that post were about brake sensors. I'd always recommend the gear sensor on a crank-drive bike.

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
My Bosch bike has a gear sensor, but it's not 100% effective. Easing off a bit is always going to be the best thing to do.

D

Deleted member 4366

My Bosch bike has a gear sensor, but it's not 100% effective. Easing off a bit is always going to be the best thing to do.
The kalkhoff one wasn't 100% either, but the aftermarket one for the Bafang motors is a lot better. Maybe the delay is longer or the response is better.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
My Greenway has the gearsensor with the Maxdrive motor.

It used to be very effective - cutting the motor for every gear change (cutting it for too long if climbing up a hill!).

After 700 miles it probably only cuts about 75% of the time - my assumption is that this is down to stretching of the gear cable, but I just haven't got round to looking at it yet.

BargainBob

Just Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Newbury
Very interesting to read all the comments.
I guess I'll see how it performs over time and maybe add a gear sensor at the
expiration of the warranty.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Went for a test ride but on the Martin City as the Sport had gone.
Same motor and gearing though so good enough to get an idea.
Test route included a 1 in 6 hill which I managed but was out of breath at the top.
Gear change was smooth even in full assist mode so no gearsensor needed.
After that I tried a KTM Machina Force 273 and it went up the same hill twice as fast and no heavy breathing required.
I admit I was shocked at the difference and ended up buying the KTM.
Turned out it was only £250 more than the Freego so a no brained really.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Its actually for a mate who wants to ride out with me to lose some weight.
As a professional driver he wanted something legal.
I am putting my BBS02 onto a Trek 6300 tomorrow so I can go slow enough to give him a chance to keep up!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Went for a test ride but on the Martin City as the Sport had gone.
Same motor and gearing though so good enough to get an idea.
Test route included a 1 in 6 hill which I managed but was out of breath at the top.
Gear change was smooth even in full assist mode so no gearsensor needed.
After that I tried a KTM Machina Force 273 and it went up the same hill twice as fast and no heavy breathing required.
I admit I was shocked at the difference and ended up buying the KTM.
Turned out it was only £250 more than the Freego so a no brained really.
What gearing was on the bike? My second guess is factory controller programming is limiting power.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
34T-11T cassette but dont know chainring size and its not on their specs.
Easy enough to up the power but no point risking losing the warranty.

Advertisers