Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So why isn't it suicidal to upset those who hate the idea?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
TBH, I think remainers are still the minority.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I know people who live in the EU without a job are covered by our health budget and it is our current position that they should be able to remain there. The European health system is wider than the EU, covering the EEA and EFTA countries. If we opt to remain as EFTA member, there won't be any change.
But these people can only look to in or out the EU,any other possibility is fantasy....after Brexit,as it stands,they will have no Spanish healthcare support....even now it is being made difficult for them,so they see the future.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If that is the case,why are Brexiters so against another vote,
KudosDave
if you were a brexiter, you would easily understand this.
We won, you lost. Deal it it?

there is no obvious objection from the EU if we wish to retain membership of EEA or EFTA. It's a rubber stamp job because they can't stop us.
ok, but again, factually incorrect.

We're currently members of the EU. We are not a member of the EFTA. So we'd have to apply to get access to the EEA via EFTA membership

It has 4 members... Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland.

So we'd have to apply, once we've left the EU. We wouldn't be retaining membership.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We're currently members of the EU. We are not a member of the EFTA.
we are one of the founding members of EFTA.
All EU states are also members of EFTA. We have to serve notice to leave and TM is very careful, not yet revealing her position.

All EU states are also members of EFTA. We have to serve notice to leave and TM is very careful, not yet revealing her position.
Really...?

Because the guys at EFTA don't seem to agree with you.

http://www.efta.int/about-efta/the-efta-states

I think you're about 30 years out of date with your information.

The United Kingdom was a co-founder of EFTA in 1960, but ceased to be a member upon joining the European Union.

You might want to do some research.

This will help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_membership_of_the_European_Economic_Area

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Ireland votes to rejoin the UK....why would Ireland want to join with the UK when we cannot even agree amongst the already devolved nations,Ireland would add a whole new set of problems.
Maybe N.I. uniting with Ireland but that would start all the old nationalist problems,that would surely be worse than a hard border?
Be interesting how our 'inteligent' government come up with a solution????
KudosDave
The only logical solution to a hard border is no border and that would mean the island of Ireland joining into union with the current UK. .. like Bobbie Ewing waking up from a sleep from 1921 and assuming the last 95 years were a dream. That simply will not happen.
For the Northern Ireland area be joined to the current ROI , in some kind of economic unity, even if not political union, and act as a EU member, while retaining voting rights at Westminster, would be only marginally better logistically, and would be totally repugnant to a large section of the NI community. Even if it were to happen, the proximity of Scotland from multiple parts of the island of Ireland would make it very difficult to police.
To paraphrase Mr Trump, who knew Brexit could be so difficult!!! .. well actually anyone who thought about it.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
then there would be GE because the majority of parliament is already on the side of no deal = worst outcome.
.. much of this thread is obsessed with whether there will or will not be a general election in the UK and who may or may not be the PM. Can you not see that that is a sideshow?
Once out from Brexit, the world moves on, and UK clout diminishes.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I do lots of business with the Irish,lovely people,north or south of the border,great fun but you count your fingers after shaking hands,they act like they can't but they can add up!!!!
KudosDave
.. ooh who is being racist now!! I was wondering where I had acquired all those extra fingers
Don't equate slow speaking to slow witted

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
if you were a brexiter, you would easily understand this.
We won, you lost. Deal it it?
Come on Woosh,you can do better then degenerating to the 'we won,you lost,deal with it' brigade. I could be persuaded to support Brexit if Brexiteers put forward valid arguments as to why we are doing this.
Oxygen James ,clearly a Brexiter,really was hoping that Brexit would sort out the north-south wealth inequality in the UK,but I just dont see how Brexit is going to alter that and the Tories havent done anything to suggest that they intend to alter it.
It seems to me that so many Brexiters fall back on the 'We won,you lost,deal with it' rhetoric,which seems to go along with 'nothing has changed' and 'Brexit means Brexit' and 'party for everyone' and 'strong and stable' and all the other mindless dribble that exudes from this current government but they cannot come up with any good answers to what they have won.
Brexit was always about the big divide in the Tory Party,it still is and at some point that divide will be like a boil that needs lancing,but it was never about improvement in our country.
KudosDave

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
The only logical solution to a hard border is no border and that would mean the island of Ireland joining into union with the current UK. .. like Bobbie Ewing waking up from a sleep from 1921 and assuming the last 95 years were a dream. That simply will not happen.
Can`t see why not, you`ve already given the Queen the warmest of welcomes, you could have your own regional assembly, same as Stormont, Wales , Scotland, elect MP`s for Westminster with a lot more clout than in the Dail. Remember we already get a nice Block Grant which no doubt would be spread over the new Ireland, UK. Issues surrounding Brexit will fade away, we will be trading with a big new world, together. You know it makes sense.
Can`t see a downside really, even the republicans will finally have their united ireland!

Whats not to like??

• Dislike
Reactions: Danidl and robdon

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Not an expert on this but I think we are automatically members of the EEA,which we may have made an error in not giving notice to quit,although our government is insisting that when we leave the EU ,we automatically leave the EEA,that is the subject of another court case.
EFTA is an entirely seperate organisation that we have to apply to join,both Norway and Switzerland have expressed their dislike of us joining,because they dont want to be overwhelmed by a big trading partner like the UK,although the way we are going we may not stay big post Brexit,hehe.
KudosDave

• Agree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
For the Northern Ireland area be joined to the current ROI , in some kind of economic unity, even if not political union, and act as a EU member, while retaining voting rights at Westminster, would be only marginally better logistically, and would be totally repugnant to a large section of the NI community. Even if it were to happen, the proximity of Scotland from multiple parts of the island of Ireland would make it very difficult to police.
To paraphrase Mr Trump, who knew Brexit could be so difficult!!! .. well actually anyone who thought about it.
Cameron and I suspect nobody else had any idea of the far reaching consequences of Brexit....its sort of like a Rubic cube that you solve one side and it puts the others out of pattern....having said that there are people who can solve the cube in seconds.
KudosDave

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Can`t see why not, you`ve already given the Queen the warmest of welcomes, you could have your own regional assembly, same as Stormont, Wales , Scotland, elect MP`s for Westminster with a lot more clout than in the Dail. Remember we already get a nice Block Grant which no doubt would be spread over the new Ireland, UK. Issues surrounding Brexit will fade away, we will be trading with a big new world, together. You know it makes sense.
Can`t see a downside really, even the republicans will finally have their united ireland!

Whats not to like??
Simple we like being citizens, not subjects. We like having a constitution so we can bring errant police to book.
There would be an upside however, with our votes and with your votes, we could reverse the madness of Brexit and again allow the UK regain its rightful place in Europe.
Even better, as the EU has already accepted that in the (unlikely) event of a unified Ireland, there would be no lengthy acceptence period for NI to join up. I wonder would it work if the remainder of the UK then wanted to use the same mechanism.

Generations of Britons yet unborn could give thanks to the Irish for deliverence from the dark ages coming to their shore as once they did when Ireland kept the flame of Christianity alive for western Europe.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
that would mean the island of Ireland joining into union with the current UK. .. like Bobbie Ewing waking up from a sleep from 1921 and assuming the last 95 years were a dream. That simply will not happen.
Unless of course we granted Ireland the status of the lead nation of the UK with the UK parliament sitting in Dublin. The whole of Ireland would then be effectively united again. ;)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Our government is making such a mess of these negotiations that it is inevitable that any negotiated settlement will not be good for us.
So I am starting to consider the idea that we either stay in or a clean break with no EU deal may be an ok option. If we can import from Asia without any tariffs or anti-dumping duties it will make our import costs lower,so some products will reduce in price...we probably would choose to import more from Asia,Australia,New Zealand,USA and less from the EU.
It would have a damaging effect on some of our industries,just dont know how much the tariffs protect our inefficient industries.
Would be turmoil for a while.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Really...?

Because the guys at EFTA don't seem to agree with you.

http://www.efta.int/about-efta/the-efta-states

I think you're about 30 years out of date with your information.

The United Kingdom was a co-founder of EFTA in 1960, but ceased to be a member upon joining the European Union.

You might want to do some research.

This will help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_membership_of_the_European_Economic_Area
I did get EEA and EFTA memberships mixed up.
However, FYI, Norway, Switzerland, Liechenstein and Iceland have said a few months back that the UK can rejoin EFTA if we so wish.

I did get EEA and EFTA memberships mixed up.
However, FYI, Norway, Switzerland, Liechenstein and Iceland have said a few months back that the UK can rejoin EFTA if we so wish.
Ok, so you mixed up the names, but you also mixed up that we were members. We're not.

As you say we'd have to apply, and there is some discussion as to whether they would have us or not. I think Iceland seem keen, the Swiss not so much.

Plus you do realise the 4 EFTA members are in Schengen, so we'll have to have open borders with the EU... we don't currently have that, can you see us joining Shengen being something the "leave" vote would tolerate? because I can't.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Plus you do realise the 4 EFTA members are in Schengen, so we'll have to have open borders with the EU... we don't currently have that, can you see us joining Shengen being something the "leave" vote would tolerate? because I can't.
I don't think we would be obliged to join Schengen because we don't have land border with EU states except the ROI which is a special case.

Advertisers