E- Brompton Coming Soon - Reminder

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Hey guys don't knock it.....

It's only taken a Formula 1 technician and designer to come up with what's been on the market for years. Oh the bag looks better. So he's designed a .......bag.

So you can pre-register for £200. Get your bike sometime in 2018. No idea of final price so it could be more.

Now that beats crowdfunding.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does anyone know if it's an internally geared motor? It looks very much like a direct drive, and the statement from the MD that it gives only 20 to 30% of the cycling power needed would support that. If so a bit like the original Ion motor that Sparta made for the Dutch flat conditions.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Does anyone know if it's an internally geared motor? It looks very much like a direct drive, and the statement from the MD that it gives only 20 to 30% of the cycling power needed would support that. If so a bit like the original Ion motor that Sparta made for the Dutch flat conditions.
I have tried the bike today
and it is surprisingly lightweight compared with my ebromopton. Quite a lot brompton cyclists stopped and tried it out. I wish they have a long track to see how it performs. It is a brushless narrow motor to fit brompton fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: jerrysimon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is a brushless narrow motor to fit brompton fork.
Thanks for the info, I knew that, but no-one seems to know if it's geared or direct drive. The slab sides are like the typical DD case, but it looks just about wide enough to be internally geared.

With Williams behind it I strongly suspect direct drive.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Thanks for the info, I knew that, but no-one seems to know if it's geared or direct drive. The slab sides are like the typical DD case, but it looks just about wide enough to be internally geared.

With Williams behind it I strongly suspect direct drive.
I see I haven't actually asked that question. I though direct drive is a lot heavier than geared one. Also, without the power it is harder to pedal too. Not sure if I am correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I see I haven't actually asked that question. I though direct drive is a lot heavier than geared one. Also, without the power it is harder to pedal too. Not sure if I am correct.
They can be harder, but that's related to the power, as is the weight. MD Will Butler-Adams has said it gives 20 to 30% of the cycling power needed, which makes it a low powered system since the usual e-bike normal power level is 50% of the effort. So it could be quite free running and fairly light even if a DD.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
linkd8-lifestyle-2.jpg

20" wheels (exists with 24")
12.1 kg (14 kg)
8 speed
Add the 1.4 kg xiongda motor, front or rear depending on preference. Add a lightweight battery in a bag (2.2 kg for the ciclotek leather bag one for example).

Grand total 16 kg (or 18 kg with accesories), more comfortable ride (wheels), greater gear range, as easy to carry on busses - trains -cars, take into the office etc.

Less than 1100 €...

Reactions: jonathan75

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I love how all these companies talk about adding assistance as if they are the first ones to do it or even invent it lol

Same on TV. I watched an episode of poshpawn (you can tell I am retired) the other day, as a guy was trying fund a project to build/sell electric bikes. It spoke of him as inventing an eletric bike!

This thing did 50mph. No one even seemed to recognise or acknowledge that it was illegal to ride on highways :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well it seems a heck of a lot of money for basically an underpowered folder with a small battery.
But it's a Brompton.
Sort of like that sketch about how pricey weddings are,
Bridegroom, 'Seems like a cake to me.'
Shop assistant. 'No. It's a Wedding cake.'

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
I see that people in N. Ireland will NOT be able to order the new Brompton ebike. So much for all British citizens being equal.

Reactions: mike killay
D

Deleted member 4366

I see that people in N. Ireland will NOT be able to order the new Brompton ebike. So much for all British citizens being equal.
That's because it's illegal to use an electric bicycle there.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
20" wheels (exists with 24")
12.1 kg (14 kg)
8 speed
Add the 1.4 kg xiongda motor...
Less than 1100 €...
Very nice setup - though the Terns are proper money; if anyone's got thoughts about how to do it cheaper on the donor bike front, with a light small perhaps used folder I'd be grateful.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I can see a market for a decent looking and good quality front bag with a docking plug for a front hub motor and with all the electric bits inside. Something easy to connect and not going to suffer from the numerous connections and disconnections that would kill a standard waterproof motor connector in short order.

The LCD and buttons could be attached and detached from the bars in the same way my battery powered light is. The only things that stay on the bike are the motor and its docking plug and the holder for the LCD/switch combo.

Something like those semi hard shell backpacks?

2016-new-locomotive-bag-ktm-moto-racing-backpack.jpg

Hmmm... I wonder if that is a legal use of the KTM logo :D

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Very nice setup - though the Terns are proper money; if anyone's got thoughts about how to do it cheaper on the donor bike front, with a light small perhaps used folder I'd be grateful.
Half the price of a brompton and yet good quality components, if you are going to be using it every day why skimp on the price which appears to be very good value for money. They come with Schwalbe tyres as standard for example, whereas on the cheap folders you have to take the crappy tyres of and buy your Scwalbes and install them anyway...

• Useful
D

Deleted member 4366

Brompton Donor. Q85 front wheel motor. You have to build it yourself because of the old size 16" rim. Controller in a box mounted above the front wheel. Battery on the frame tube at the back under the seat. That'll cost about £500 to convert. It'll be smooth, quiet and will have good torque for hill-climbing. Top speed about 15 mph. Total cost about £1000.

• Useful