Rear hub greasing

Andrew Wingrove

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2017
York
www.simplicityin.training
IMG_0630.JPG IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0632.JPG i have had my rear hub grate it's gears when moving off and I was suspecting I might be missing some teeth on the gears. After opening the hub up I was happy to see all the teeth looked good, but it looked a bit dirty and dry inside. I cleaned the gears with a citrus degreaser and a toothbrush and then gave the teeth a coating of TF2 Lithium grease. The resulting improvement was significant and for the next ten miles of riding I had no noise at all and everything was smooth. The noise is now slowly appearing again. Should I have packed the gears with grease, and is Lithium grease the right one to use?

Reactions: mountainsport

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Had the same thing with my Ezee front hub. Ended up packing it 3 times, ended up with a lot more than in your 'photo. Mostly the noise has gone but I get some intermittant vibration. Cyclezee, supplied some special grease for nylon gears, can't remember what it is called I'm afraid

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
View attachment 20836 View attachment 20837 View attachment 20838 i have had my rear hub grate it's gears when moving off and I was suspecting I might be missing some teeth on the gears. After opening the hub up I was happy to see all the teeth looked good, but it looked a bit dirty and dry inside. I cleaned the gears with a citrus degreaser and a toothbrush and then gave the teeth a coating of TF2 Lithium grease. The resulting improvement was significant and for the next ten miles of riding I had no noise at all and everything was smooth. The noise is now slowly appearing again. Should I have packed the gears with grease, and is Lithium grease the right one to use?
Very good detailed pictures and explanation Andrew.

MS.

Andrew Wingrove

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2017
York
From my reading this afternoon it would seem that a product called Mollygrease is the product to use with nylon or plastic gears and us better than Lithium. Anyone want to confirm this? And should I pack it in there quite generously?

Andrew Wingrove

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2017
York
Hi d8veh, I did not take the bearings out. Considered it, but as I did not have any new bearings at the time, decided not to add to the task for the day of adding some grease. The black grunge was the original grease I found, and the white is the new Lithium I was using after giving it a clean. The bike must be a few years old. It had a e.ride logo on it before I repainted it. Are you able to identify this motor for my curiosity?

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

You can feel if they're worn/rusty by twizzling them with your fingers.

C

Cyclezee

From my reading this afternoon it would seem that a product called Mollygrease is the product to use with nylon or plastic gears and us better than Lithium. Anyone want to confirm this? And should I pack it in there quite generously?
The best one is MolyKote PG-21, but it is expensive.

Advertisers