What are my rights with faulty e-bike?

DBrown67

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2017
Leeds
I haven't even had the bike a week... a Carrera Crossfire e-bike that was bought new from Cycle Republic store last week. Need to use it on a daily basis and so far it has cut out on me twice. I've just had a 30 min. walk up a long climb home and I'm not happy!

I've lost all confidence in the thing and want my money back. In my eyes it's not fit for purpose if I'm left to walk home pushing a heavy lump of metal.

I did take it out on 0% finance (after paying some cash in store) so I think I can invoke my cooling off credit agreement. But I haven't had a chance to speak with the shop as yet... I've just got in and I'm knackered.

Brynric

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2015
Worcestershire
That's disappointing, especially if you've lost faith in the bike, but I've found the cutout isn't too much of a hinderance. Pressing the battery button usually kicks it back into life and a more fiddly solution is to re-settle the battery in its mount. Of course you can ride it without the assist but I know it's a heavy bike to ride uphill. In the longer term I found that cutouts became much rarer over time. I don't know why, it all seems quite random, but I had several cut outs in the first 100 or so Ks and very few in the next thousand.
Good luck with The store.

Reactions: egroover

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
If a product develops a fault within a week of purchase then it is assumed to be defective when sold which means you are entitled to a refund or replacement. After 28(?) days this can reduce to a free repair and after 6 months the onus will be on you to demonstrate it was faulty at the time of purchase.

I would return it to the store ASAP so you can fully exercise your rights to a refund or replacement rather than wait and get caught in the repair option and be without your bike for potentially 14-28 days.

Good luck.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

DBrown67

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2017
Leeds
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes it was bought in store, so that affects the credit agreement cooling period I believe.

I'm very disappointed in the experience to be honest. I test rode the bike in March and thought it was great. Didn't need it till now for university and managed to snag a 20% student discount. Still a lot to pay though when it lets you down almost instantly. I can ride the bike without the power but with my panniers fitted and bike locks it's ridiculously heavy uphill.

• Agree

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Quite within your rights to get a refund/and/or cancel the credit agreement.

As Brynric says, easy 1 min fix at most,

1. unlock the battery (remember to take one of the 4 keys supplied with you on all rides), and move it away from the contacts. Re-seat the battery

2. turn the power button back on the battery and then turn on the display.

Sometimes you just need to do part 2

But of course you shouldn't have to do that on any bike, so get your money back while you still can. I live with this occasional problem (had the bike over a year) because for what I paid for it (which is otherwise a fantastic bike for the money) I'm happy to do it

• Informative

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
The Sale of Goods Act should still apply regardless of how you paid for your purchase.

• Agree
Reactions: Powerbikes

signwave

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2016
Hampshire
  • Informative

Boneidle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2017
London
I had a test ride of the crossfire in my local Halfords and that cut out twice on my 10 minute test ride, the guy told me its nothing to worry about just turn it on and off. Bought something else now didn't want to take the chance

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's been said many a time on the forum that the bike isn't fit for purpose and there are 2 or 3 threads about them. There's a few buyers on here that defend the bike, generally it might be a good sound bike when it works but if it lets you down then it is no good. A much better option is a diy job with Q28C & KT controller.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
How are Halfords continuing to get away with selling this defective bike? Many have said about the easy reset, but really, on a new bike?
Wouldn't buy it with someone else's money.

Take it back mate. Get your money back and buy one from one of the suppliers on this forum. You'll get a totally different response to any problems.

DBrown67

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2017
Leeds
Went to the shop first thing this morning (without the bike as I'm working) and explained the situation. The staff member seemed OK about it and advised me to return tomorrow with the bike.

I will NOT be leaving the store with the bike though. And I've telephoned the credit company and let them know the situation. I do have a formal letter rejecting the goods and citing the Consumer Rights Act 2015 but I will only hand that to them tomorrow if they refuse the refund.

Being an intermittent fault the bike is bound to be OK when I go in tomorrow. So when they see it's fine, that could be a stumbling block. o_O

• Informative

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Can't see the matter of it being intermittent being a problem. It's a well documented and widely known fault. You are simply rejecting a faulty item. If they decline to give you a full and immediate refund, make a point of taking the names of the people you speak to (check for correct spelling is my usual ruse) and make sure you speak to someone who can make that decision.

Stores will routinely deny a problem is known or exists. I took a VW Passat in once for a known water ingress issue. Once I'd had three people assure me it was not a known fault, I offered to call up a copy of the VW Technical Services Bulletin on it. Cue a distinct change in attitude, a 'No need, can we have your keys, we'll do it now' response and an altogether better relationship afterwards.

Just stick to your guns. You are returning a faulty item for a full refund as per your legal rights under the CRA. Simples.

Gaz

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How are Halfords continuing to get away with selling this defective bike?
Halfords have shown consistent incompetence when it comes to e-bikes. They started that way with their first model, the Carrera Sparc, using the long discredited SRAM Sparc motorised wheel, then continued trying other brands that had died in the market previously.

It seems to me they are only concerned with price and profit and neither know nor care whether the bikes are any good.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Halfords have shown consistent incompetence when it comes to e-bikes. They started that way with their first model, the Carrera Sparc, using the long discredited SRAM Sparc motorised wheel, then continued trying other brands that had died in the market previously.

It seems to me they are only concerned with price and profit and neither know nor care whether the bikes are any good.
Makes me glad I converted my own. At least I know where to look when problems occur. No, wait, I haven't had any.:eek::D

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
How are Halfords continuing to get away with selling this defective bike? Many have said about the easy reset, but really, on a new bike?
Wouldn't buy it with someone else's money.

Take it back mate. Get your money back and buy one from one of the suppliers on this forum. You'll get a totally different response to any problems.
Well said that man

• Agree