Winter cycling jackets

Crystal_pixie

Pedelecer
May 25, 2017
Bristol
Does anyone have any recommendations for winter waterproof cycling jackets please?

I have a Proviz jacket which is great but I do find its a bit too thin for really cold days even with a couple of layers on.

Ideally visible, waterproof and windproof.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Does anyone have any recommendations for winter waterproof cycling jackets please?

I have a Proviz jacket which is great but I do find its a bit too thin for really cold days even with a couple of layers on.

Ideally visible, waterproof and windproof.
I bought the proviz reflect 360 last year, after 3 months it was in the bin. At first, I thought great customer service, great high viz, good quality. I used it for mtbing and a bramble ripped the sleeve about 4 inches (repaired with kite patch). Few weeks later fell off bike and the whole sleeve ripped off.

It's a lovely jacket if your purely cycling on roads and accept fabric is very weak. Another problem I discovered is the reflective bead only lasts for about 10-20 washes then guess what no more high viz jacket.

Anyway, just look at Gore bike wear, decent price point and very good quality. This stuff has outlasted my Castelli, Rapha and Assos clothing.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Crystal_pixie

Pedelecer
May 25, 2017
Bristol
Thanks. I will check out the Gore and Planet X ranges.

Kangooroo - I get where you are coming from but I think it might be a bit on the big side!

Showers pass was another brand that has been recommended but they do seem quite expensive.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Kangooroo - I get where you are coming from but I think it might be a bit on the big side! /QUOTE]

True, but I'm a size 12 and have a non-reflective version which I wear outdoors with woollies beneath and, although not exactly a shapely fit, it does the job and has been in use for about 6 winters so far. If it gets torn or damaged (likely on our brambly lanes) then it doesn't matter!

Reactions: Crystal_pixie

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks. I will check out the Gore and Planet X ranges.

Kangooroo - I get where you are coming from but I think it might be a bit on the big side!

Showers pass was another brand that has been recommended but they do seem quite expensive.
The Planet x are both on offer right now. Pretty good value at 70 quid as they are solidly waterproof and relatively breathable

My old Gore path jacket wasnt bad either but it was twice the price

Reactions: Crystal_pixie

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Try the adrenelin jacket from mountain warehouse. I've got the blue and hiviz yellow, nice and long, good ventilation, and did a great job at keeping the wind and rain out last winter

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Dunlop Hiviz bomber work jacket from Sports Direct. £22 waterproof and are so warm on freezing cold days you need to unzip it abit although not really breathable but I've never found that a problem.
Also the hiviz lights up like a beacon in the slightest of headlights. My first lasted a few years and I've just replaced it with another the same.
When it's not so cold, I use Altura Night Vision too which are great.

D

Deleted member 4366

The cheapo yellow reflective jackets with the black quilt lining is all you need. they cost about £10. I wore one when I commuted in the winters in temperatures down to minus ten. That's when they're most comfortable. When the temperature is anything above zero, you need to unzip them a bit to stop from over-heating. They're completely waterproof and the reflective bits light up like a beacon in car headlights.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Tried most brands in the last forty years, now use Altura night vision exclusively
I didn't rate the jacket I had from them too much. No better than my gore or planet x at any rate.

But my night vision overtousers are the business. Far superior toanything else I've ever tried . And they have outlasted about 3 jackets !

Crystal_pixie

Pedelecer
May 25, 2017
Bristol
I think another issue is that there aren't that many retailers that cater for ladies who cycle. When I went into Go Outdoors in Bristol the ladies cycling clothing range was pretty minimal and if you go into the bike shops it costs a fortune!

D

Deleted member 4366

Good for commuting but when you're creeping through a forest on a winter morn hoping to see some wildlife you may want to be less gaudy.
I don't know about that. When I wear it in the daytime, it's like an invisibility cloak: Every car wants to pull out in front of me, though at night time, it seems to scare them to death.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Thinking about this I might just give it a try - as you say you can layer it up and it wouldn't matter too much if you just got a couple of seasons out of it.
The problem with most of these things is it being breathable and flexible. I would suggest cheap and cheerful will be fine for a short casual ride, but anything else it will be uncomfortable to ride in and make you very sweaty.
you pay your money and take your choice.