Keeping your folded bike folded

AshleyBrayson

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Rugby UK
Do any of you have any tips for preventing a folded bike from 'flapping around' when you pick it up? It's a shame they don't come with some type of catch fitted to the frame and handlebar stem. A lot of thought has gone into how they fold but not keep them folded in transit.

Thank you

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Do any of you have any tips for preventing a folded bike from 'flapping around' when you pick it up? It's a shame they don't come with some type of catch fitted to the frame and handlebar stem. A lot of thought has gone into how they fold but not keep them folded in transit.

Thank you
I have a Ridgeback folder made by Dahon, it uses a magnet to keep the front forks stuck to the rears when folded. Maybe you could try to make up something similar. Other than that would a bungee not work?

wheeler

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As above a bungee or from Wilko for 2 or3 ££ a nylon web strap with simple spring buckle, from a local hardware store a meter or two of Double sided Velcro.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Same problem with wheelchair.. trying to lift it onto the car it tends to want to come open.. so easy to fix with a short price of webbing and 4 inches of Velcro. Made a wrap around strap that really does the job and can be wrapped around the frame when not in use. All available for a few pennies from your local market sewing stall.
Get friend, neighbour or someone in the family with a sewing machine to attach the Velcro..

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
My electric folder is too heavy to flap about but on my non-leccy folder a bungee cord does the job or a strip of self-gripping Velcro.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Yes, Dahon Magnetix best if your bike has the mounting holes in the right place.
Brompton spring clip needs drilling and thread tapping to fit.
+1 for using a bungee as cheap fix, pick one same colour as bike.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have a roll of cut to length velcro tape (like a cellotape distributor). Holds wires on frame too.

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos

Thank you
FWIW I use a reusable cable tie and piece of sponge rubber to tie together the forks on my Expresso. Makes a big difference to how I can lift it in and out of the car.