eBikes Banned in New York City

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
After the NYPD’s high-profile crackdown on electric bikes earlier this year, many wondered how New York City’s political leadership would respond. Would the city seek to adapt to the growing popularity of e-bikes, writing them into existing rules and regulations? Or would it keep them fully illegal, allowing for police to continue seizures even as the use of e-bikes spreads?

Mayor Bill de Blasio answered that question on Thursday by announcing that the city will ramp up enforcement against e-bikes. Citing public safety concerns and complaints from neighborhood groups, he said police will begin targeting not only people who ride e-bikes, but also businesses whose employees use them for deliveries

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Reading between the lines and knowing how power crazy Americans can be,my guess is that these NY bikes would be illegal in Europe as well.
This battle has been going on or a few years. There have been several accidents in NYC involving electric bikes and pedestrians. The problem seems to be the speed Ebikes are allowed to travel in the USA. The legal speed is 20mph and of course people dongle them. So you could easily have a bike traveling silently at 25 or even 30 miles an hour and that does not mix with pedestrians. There are bound to be accidents.
IMO it’s not the speed but the fact pedestrians cannot hear them coming. The simple solution is either to restrict to 15mph as in the U.K. or better still, and something I have always advocated, is to have an ebike sound, something like the tsch tsch tsch as heard on carts in airports, that turns on as the bike reaches 15mph.
However it’s handled in NYC we in the U.K. need to take heed. Especially those riding illegal bikes that maintain assistance over the legal 15.5mph. We don’t want to lose our special status in the U.K.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
E-bikes have always been illegal in New York state and city, but enforcement has been light touch for those who ride sensibly. One of our members, Rob NYC, commuted for years in New York City on an Ezee Quando and one of the USA's two largest and most successful e-bike dealers, Nycewheels, is actually in New York!

However once in a while someone gets a bee in their bonnet about them and there's an attempt at a clamp down.

I wouldn't worry about it, they are on the losing side. There was one other US state that had a total ban on e-bikes and enforced it, that was Illinois incorporating Chicago, one of their largest cities and business centres. But they've now given in and e-bikes can now be used there. That leaves New York alone on the wrong side of history.

E motive power is the future.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Reading between the lines and knowing how power crazy Americans can be,my guess is that these NY bikes would be illegal in Europe as well.
This battle has been going on or a few years. There have been several accidents in NYC involving electric bikes and pedestrians. The problem seems to be the speed Ebikes are allowed to travel in the USA. The legal speed is 20mph and of course people dongle them. So you could easily have a bike traveling silently at 25 or even 30 miles an hour and that does not mix with pedestrians. There are bound to be accidents.
IMO it’s not the speed but the fact pedestrians cannot hear them coming. The simple solution is either to restrict to 15mph as in the U.K. or better still and something I have always advocated is to have an ebike sound, something like the tsch tsch tsch as heard on carts in airports, that turns on as the bike reaches 15mph.
However it’s handled in NYC we in the U.K. need to take heed. Especially those riding illegal bikes that maintain assistance over the legal 15.5mph. We don’t want to lose our special status in the U.K.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
If the problem is you can't hear ebikes coming we are going to be in trouble when electric cars become more common.

Sent from my MTK8382 using Tapatalk
At our local hospital I was blocked in by a car waiting for a space. I expected him to move when I got in my car but he didn't.. or so I thought.. he had moved well away but in total silence...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If the problem is you can't hear ebikes coming we are going to be in trouble when electric cars become more common.
For pedestrian safety most of then have a default sound from a speaker under the bonnet when in motion at town speeds. The popular Nissan Leaf has for example, but there is a switch on the dash which the driver can use to turn it off. There may have to be legislation to make such switches illegal and enforce the sound being on all the time at town speeds.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Over 25 km/h I use my bell. Stop for pedestrians on pedestrian crossings which puzzles them as I am the only bike to do so. I shout at those who cross without using crossings.

Oh and I don't have a motor (yet) :D trikes are not only fast and silent, they are invisible. Maybe those looking down at their cell phone see me easier?

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012

You read my mind craiggor, I was just about to post what you've just said.
Also a car is 100 times heavier than an ebike and at least three times as fast.

I hate the ones that say "F" the police which in turn make matters worse for all of us who genuinely loves and enjoy riding. Riding for me helps me mentally and most of all physically.

MS.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
IMO it’s not the speed but the fact pedestrians cannot hear them coming. The simple solution is either to restrict to 15mph as in the U.K. or better still and something I have always advocated is to have an ebike sound, something like the tsch tsch tsch as heard on carts in airports, that turns on as the bike reaches 15mph.
The safe speed for cars and bikes on Manhattan is about 15 mph. I don't think that cars even get to that speed in central New York. The squares or blocks are so small, the pedestrians take right of way anyway, the volume of traffic is so large... And the number of traffic lights so numerous.
I must disagree with you, flecc, the ambient noise is such , and Americans speak so loud, that any polite noise would not be heard
Basically Manhattan is a traffic jam, and why anyone would want to use a car there is beyond me. The garage rates are penal, and trying to get a car in off the road demands great patience.

• Agree
Reactions: Ocsid

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
For pedestrian safety most of then have a default sound from a speaker under the bonnet when in motion at town speeds. The popular Nissan Leaf has for example, but there is a switch on the dash which the driver can use to turn it off. There may have to be legislation to make such switches illegal and enforce the sound being on all the time at town speeds.
It's because of legislation that the switch is there. Devices fitted to vehicles to give audible warning of approach cannot be used in a built up area (30mph speed restriction) between the hours of 23:30 and 07:00.
As the sound is continuous up to 20mph it has to be capable of being switched off when the above conditions require.

wheeler

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's because of legislation that the switch is there. Devices fitted to vehicles to give audible warning of approach cannot be used in a built up area (30mph speed restriction) between the hours of 23:30 and 07:00.
As the sound is continuous up to 20mph it has to be capable of being switched off when the above conditions require.

wheeler
Thanks, yes I understand that, but that law may have to be changed in respect of e-car sound in the interests of overall safety. i.c.vehicles make a noise between those hours of course, so the equivalent from an e-car should be acceptable.

Trouble with the switch is that every Leaf I've come across has had the sound switched off, including on trial drives, so a zero safety factor.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland

The counter argument to this has always been the Rolls Royce, the most silent car there is and yet nobody has ever claimed they should be louder.