Electric mountain bike for a grand?

Baldfella

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 13, 2017
Rotherham
I’m thinking of getting a second ebike on cyclescheme. Is it possible to get a decent emtb around the £1000 mark and if so where from? Don’t mind adding a bit more but not too much.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the Woosh Rio MTB is a pretty good electric mtb at around £1,000 mark.
Hydraulic brakes front (180mm) and rear (160mm), 100mm RST Omega fork with magnesium lowers, GXP crankset, 8-speed. High torque Bafang SWX0 motor, 13AH or 17AH battery.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rio-mtb

If you like crank drive bikes better, the Woosh Krieger albeit without hydraulic brakes, may be worth a look;
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?krieger

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I’m thinking of getting a second ebike on cyclescheme. Is it possible to get a decent emtb around the £1000 mark and if so where from? Don’t mind adding a bit more but not too much.
You won't get a decent/capable hardtail eMTB with factory middrive and airshocks for <£2000. Might be able to build one for lot less using BBS middrive but it doesn't have controlled torque sensing power delivery of factory drives, a must for tight single tracks.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk

Baldfella

Sep 13, 2017
Rotherham
Thanks, all good to know. I’m a total novice off road. Have an ebike but apart from front shocks it’s no emtb . I’d rather take the advice and put the extra to that I need. I only want entry level that will do the job while I find my feet but there’s no point getting something that’s not up to the job either is there ? Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Reactions: LeighPing

Rouge Rider

Pedelecer
May 14, 2017
Sunderland
That Raleigh is a shocking spec mtb....but you pay for the E part...it might actually be fantastic fun to ride and reliable for all I know.maybe an owner of one can help you decide

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
That Raleigh is a shocking spec mtb....but you pay for the E part...it might actually be fantastic fun to ride and reliable for all I know.maybe an owner of one can help you decide
Shocking compared to bikes 2-3 times the price, maybe. There aren't that many crank motor eMTB's in that price range.

Baldfella

Sep 13, 2017
Rotherham
I've just got one of these in the showroom. Very impressed with it. Kudos Eiger Mid motor bike for under £900!
https://powerbikes.uk/shop/e-bikes/kudos-eiger/
Thanks, I think I spoke to you the other day on your site. Do you think that’s the best bike to go for on price? I’ve seen a kudos mistral that looks a good bike but my knowledge is very limited. I’m just waiting for my e voucher? To come through and would be willing to put a bit to if it’s the best thing to do although I like the look of the Eiger.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
How tough is the riding going to be? The Oxygen MTB is good and they're based in Rotherham but it's more of a commuting/mtb hybrid type thing. If you don't need a proper hard core mtb that is designed for a thrashing and want to stay near £1k then the Woosh Rio and Kudos Mistral are good. If you want a more serious mtb then the Cube Acid One 400 is £1600 and the Cube Reaction Race 500 Trevermonty mentioned above is even better.

• Agree
Reactions: Powerbikes

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
Thanks, I think I spoke to you the other day on your site. Do you think that’s the best bike to go for on price? I’ve seen a kudos mistral that looks a good bike but my knowledge is very limited. I’m just waiting for my e voucher? To come through and would be willing to put a bit to if it’s the best thing to do although I like the look of the Eiger.

I remember the conversation. If you are choosing between the Mistral and the Eiger I personally can't get over the value of the Eiger. If you are wanting a slightly bigger bike with more gears then the Mistral is the one to go for. I'll throw in a set of mud guards if you went for the Mistral as you'd need them for commuting.

Richard

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
You won't get a decent/capable hardtail eMTB with factory middrive and airshocks for <£2000. Might be able to build one for lot less using BBS middrive but it doesn't have controlled torque sensing power delivery of factory drives, a must for tight single tracks.
Which is why I never used the cheapo pedelec sensor ring that came with my Bafang rear hub kit and only use the throttle. As an ex motorcyclist I disliked the feeling of not having precise control on those tight trails. Unfortunately that controlled torque sensing and the mid motors do not come cheap!

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Likely to be better brakes than entry level hydraulic Tektro on my sons bike, at least cable ones don't need bleeding every 6 months because pads start rubbing. I binned them and replaced with entry level shimanos.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I have the previous generation Oxygen MTB and it's very good. I had power connection issues that I resolved myself, but those shouldn't happen witht he current version, as its battery is half sunk into the frame. Other than that, it's served me well for c.3000 miles in a year.

I've done some light off-roading on it; bridleways and towpaths, and it's very competent. The spec is also very decent for a £1.5K machine.

Last edited: