Riese & Muller Tinker - quality of front suspension?

gumster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 14, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Tinker has ben ordered... should arrive this week or next... unfortunately, I keep reading! ;)

Bosch has posted information about an update option for its Performance CX motors (the model that R&M has installed on its Tinker model). That update provides a mode of operation called eMTB or Flow or Direct Flow (the difference terms that I've seen that are associated with the mode); In essence, it replaced the Sport mode with one that varies continuously from Sport level to Turbo level (180-300% assistance, I believe). Eco, Tour and Turbo still remain as discrete modes.

The tinker that I ordered has the N380 hub. My riding will be primarily in city or suburbs, in traffic, with hills of varying slope. The thought of "parking" the control panel in eMTB and thus effecting automatic changes in assist as a function of the power that I provide when pedaling is conceptually seductive. I was wondering: anyone with experience with this update that would care to comment/advise?

Also... never ending questions it would seem... any experience with the BodyFloat suspension seat post? It is relatively expensive but that expense pales when compared to the cost of the bike.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Decision made: Tinker ordered. Thanks, all, for your comments; Absent an opportunity for me to try before buying, I found them helpful and reassuring.

I decided to postpone making a decision with respect to the suspension post (for other than financial reasons). I'll reconsider after receiving the bike and riding around my area. With respect to suspension posts, there appear to be several options (brands and models).
I like Suntour NCX seatpost plus it is lot cheaper than competition.

gumster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 14, 2017
Portland, Oregon
How are you getting on with your Tinker?

Sorry for the delayed response. I received mine just before I went on a 6 week vacation (Asia) and thus have not had an opportunity to ride it as much as I would have otherwise expected. I like it, but its not perfect. Brakes (hydraulic) are easy to modulate and have tremendous power. Hill climbing ability is superb. Functionality when riding in traffic in the city is terrific (primarily due to acceleration assistance when in tour or turbo modes). But... There's a "thrumming" sensation evident during the power portion of the cycling stroke (related, I think, to the belt drive... dealer/mechanic thinks it will diminish as the bike breaks in). Its heavy (knew that going in). Power delivery is somewhat uneven, especially in tour and turbo modes (suddenly accelerating more than I might anticipate). The front suspension is not as soft at its softest setting as I would wish (at 140 pounds funny dressed).

Though it is not perfect, I am glad I bought the bike.

Reactions: Ocsid

Advertisers