I see your cheating then!

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
I am 60 years old technically obese and not fit.

I used a standard MTB recently whilst my e-MTB was being repaired.

It was hard work, very slow and hurt my knees. I couldn’t call it fun. I wouldn’t be able to do it on a regular basis so thank goodness for electric bikes.

On my e-MTB on the flat, generally I can’t keep up with regular mtbers and up hill there also quite a few who I can’t catch too

So even “cheating” I can blend in :)

Bertyboy

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
Sussex
Riding along tonight in eco and passed a guy that i said hello to. Heard him say ah your cheating then in a definite manner :mad:(first time this has happened to me).

Don't think he thought i'd bite n stop. Bet he wished i hadn't after i put him straight!!!!!.

Told him to look me up on strava if he thought i was cheating and have a look at some of the KOM's . times i'd got some time ago when i was in a roadie club.
In effect KOM's mean very little, but I'm sure i was having a hell of a lot more fun than him on my e-bike and if he wanted to remain a luddite that was up too him, but i wasn't cheating anyone.

He was shell shocked and said nothing.

Having a bad day at work doesn't help;)

Bertyboy

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
Sussex
It gets under my skin when people say I'm cheating. Partly because I know how much effort I've put in that day, but also because I just think it's rude. I'd never think of shouting that at someone. I actually believe they think that they are just being funny, but it touches a nerve so I guess that somewhere inside me I'm feeling like a cheat, which is stupid. But even on my non ebike, still get haters! This last Sunday I waited (on a designated bike route/bridleway) for a gang of older walkers to come past. Not one thank you. The last ones didn't even want to move over to pass me as I waited. One old boy slapped me on the shoulder somewhat aggressively, and said I should be walking, it's better for me! Trouble is I never think of a smart comment at the time.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
The last time someone said to me "your cheating", I took pity on him and handed him my last bag of apostrophes.

• :D
Reactions: Warwick and flecc

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
As per my previous post... I just say to anyone when they say I am cheating. "not if you have a disability" (which I don't).

It shuts them up straight away, and makes them feel bad.....

Like you say, what gives strangers the right to criticise what you are doing.... this line just shuts it down every time.

Apologies again to any one who has a disability, no offence meant.

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
About a year ago some one said ,ere have a go on that,that being an electrick mtb .Oh go on then thinking it would be a gimick.Well i only went 50 yards and that was all i needed bloody brilliant i want one i thought.A year later 1000 miles on my own and love it.Yes i know a 1000 miles isnt a lot but they are pleasure miles when im not doing other hobies. So i couldnt give a hoot if some short sighted people dont like there only secretly jealous.

Reactions: tommie

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
About a year ago some one said ,ere have a go on that,that being an electrick mtb .Oh go on then thinking it would be a gimick.Well i only went 50 yards and that was all i needed bloody brilliant i want one i thought.A year later 1000 miles on my own and love it.Yes i know a 1000 miles isnt a lot but they are pleasure miles when im not doing other hobies. So i couldnt give a hoot if some short sighted people dont like there only secretly jealous.
I wouldn't worry about how many miles you do, just what your happy with.:)

Related Articles

Advertisers