e bikes insured at home

AshleyBrayson

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Rugby UK
Does anyone know if e bikes are classed as bicycles for cover in home insurance? I'm about to renew my home and contents insurance and I now have an ebike ( and another shortly ).

Thanks

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Some insurers accept ebikes but many don't. It's a case of reading the smallprint on each policy to read their individual definitions.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
My insurer, Legal and General, cover my bike under personal possessions but at nearly £3000 it has to be a specified item. My unspecified limit is £2000, but even it the bike was worth less than this I think I would get it named on the insurance.
As an aside from this, I recently had a bike stolen which has now increased my premium by £200 and several companies wouldn't offer a quotation at all. Apparently after a claim, you loose all of your no claims discount. Not sure how many years constitute full no claims.

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
I have contents and buildings insurance with Esure. My £2,280 ebike is down as a specified bike with £100 excess and costing £38/year. For comparison the overall policy cost is £251 for 'unlimited' buildings and £50k of contents in a low crime area.

Cheers
Kendalian

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I switched my home insurance to Bradford & Bingley as my current insurer wouldn't cover my ebike.

B&B initially said they wouldn't cover it, but when I explained it was a pedal assist bike, and didn't have a throttle they said it would be fine.

I had to have it as a specified item on the policy.