Suntour NCX seat post spares

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
Does anyone know if I can get some spare brass bushes for my seat post? I've tried looking around but haven't had any luck finding any.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have had the same issue on two I own and tried looking for collared/flanged bushes, though I found sellers I wasn't able to find the correct sizes. In the end I gave one to a machinist/lather engineer brother who made me up a few, I am again down to just 3 spares so look like another favour to ask considering the prices for just 8 bushes.

There is a spares kit on Ebay for £16 odd looks with stainless bushes and pins.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SR-Suntour-SP12-Suspension-Seatpost-Wear-Kit/302409670669?epid=2165144984&hash=item466905600d:g:u3AAAOSwdB9ZiuFt

Last edited:

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I couldn't find any online. All they seem to have are different weight springs. If it's not fit for purpose anymore, and you need a new suspension seatpost, I recommend you have a look at the bikehut suspension seatpost sold by Halfrauds, if you can find one. They come with 3 springs and a shim included.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
ACM, your pic is typical of mine the front lower bush take most of the force and wears first, though if you don't notice it straight away wear starts on one of the others.

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
I have had the same issue on two I own and tried looking for collared/flanged bushes, though I found sellers I wasn't able to find the correct sizes. In the end I gave one to a machinist/lather engineer brother who made me up a few, I am again down to just 3 spares so look like another favour to ask considering the prices for just 8 bushes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SR-Suntour-SP12-Suspension-Seatpost-Wear-Kit/302409670669?epid=2165144984&hash=item466905600d:g:u3AAAOSwdB9ZiuFt
Thanks, for £16 should be worth a shot, won't wear as fast as brass either hopefully.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks, for £16 should be worth a shot, won't wear as fast as brass either hopefully.
No turning marks on the bushes, so most likely sintered bronze and nickel plated or some other bearing material, but not steel.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The oilites are no good too thick.

Suntour bush requirements
Flange 14mm
int dia 6mm
ext dia 8mm
bush length 8mm
Material thickness 1mm.

Nearest I've found are these just need to recheck the dims before ordering, the flange is 2mm smaller but probably doesn't matter too much and the length 1mm short again not too critical.
http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/f0608l10_bush.html

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
New You're not looking hard enough. I found this one in less than a minute:

https://www.ondrives.com/dub-0608-bb
£31 for 8 & that's for something almost but not quit the right size and no pins either.
Even when you find the corect size bushes you'll only save a few quid over the price of a proper kit and you'll still have old pins

• Agree
Reactions: Kinninvie

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Wychbearings self lubing bush is only 70p a go so will try some of them to se how they go. The original brass ones are to soft.

Reactions: Kinninvie

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich

these turned up today and fit/work a treat! im so glad to have my bouncy commute back!

No turning marks on the bushes, so most likely sintered bronze and nickel plated or some other bearing material, but not steel.
not sure, theyre not magnetic, i tried scratching one as deep as possible and theyre definitely not plated so i guess time will tell how they wear, only replaced the worn ones for now so got plenty of spares.

Last edited:

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Hi all

Just dug up this old thread when searching for info on my new NCX seatpost which arrived this morning.
The reason for my search was that when I looked at my post carefully I noticed that the bushings were not brass but some kind of white metal. I had specifically ordered a post with the soft spring to suit my weight. I am aware that there have been three versions of this seatpost and mine is marked 2012 V2.1 so I suspect I have the second version. Naturally I was initially a bit frustrated as it is normal to want the latest version of something but on reading this thread I might just have struck lucky.

So, for those who have the brass bushing version (or any version I suppose) do you think I should keep this one and avoid having to replace the bushings in the future or swop it for the latest version ?

Thanks for any opinions :)

D

Deleted member 4366

The bushes aren't brass. Brass isn't a bearing material. Instead, they're sintered bronze. there's many different materials used, but most likely is an alloy of mainly copper and iron. sintered bronze is porous, so it can be impregnated with oil.

The silver bushes are most likely aluminium bronze.

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
The bushes aren't brass. Brass isn't a bearing material. Instead, they're sintered bronze. there's many different materials used, but most likely is an alloy of mainly copper and iron. sintered bronze is porous, so it can be impregnated with oil.

The silver bushes are most likely aluminium bronze.
They (Suntour) claim they are brass but that does not surprise me as I am amazed at the poor quality/quantity of the product info that is available at any of the various Suntour websites. I have a pair of their forks and couldn't find out what I wanted to about them and now this mystery of the various seatpost variants .....

Thanks for your reply btw :)

ehbike

Just Joined
Mar 11, 2018
UK
Hi mine are worn and am looking to get a kit as on Amazon, however please tell me how to replace the bearings - do you need a special press/tool - can I use a vice - hammer???

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There are no bearings just pins and bushes, an allen screw keeps the pin in place and the bushes are a tight fit, I drove mine out with a metal driver/dowel near the exact gush outer size. To fit the new ones a bit of lube or marg/spread is super slippy and a sharp whack with a good hammer.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I fitted the stainless pin and bush kit a few years back, works a treat.

Advertisers