Cube Cross Hybrid Pro Allroad 400

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
Cube Cross Hybrid Pro Allroad 400

Upgrades over the stock version:
THE BIKE

The riding position is right in between a city bike a an MTB. I really love it: my back and neck are straight up enough not to hurt but I can still pedal with nice efficiency.

The ergonomic grips, balloon tires and suspension seat post make the ride really comfortable even when going at speed over cracked roads and such.

The fork is quite basic, but I find it does its job fine in urban environment. It does have pre-tension adjustment but no lock out.

The front light is pretty weak. It’s good to be seen and it helps a little on very dark roads. I ride almost 100% of the times in well-lit cycling paths, so it’s good enough for my needs.

The derailleur is a Shimano Deore. It has 9 gears,, which are more than enough on a e-bike, and it’s very precise. After 4000km it still runs smoothly. On my regular bike I have an XT, but I can’t feel any difference in quality.

The Shimano hydraulic brakes are again an entry level model. In normal conditions are more than adequate; I rode just once down a very long and steep hill, and in that situation I felt that they started to struggle a bit. Maybe in the future I might consider upgrading them.

The stock fenders are nice, but they are a really tight fit for the Big Apples.

THE MOTOR

The Bosch CX motor is well known. For urban use it’s a bit overkill: I ride 90% of the time in Tour mode, switch to Sport if I’m tired or if it’s a really hot day. I almost never use Turbo mode, but it’s still nice to have it on rare occasions when I might need an extra boost.

I was able to get to work (16km trip) all summer without a single drop of sweat.

As I said I installed a dongle, and I’m really happy about it. Most of the time I find that going at around 25km/h is absolutely fast enough. But I really like that I can go faster when I need it (like on the road or if I have to clear an intersection as fast as I can). I also like that I can go at 25/27 kmh without feeling the motor fading away.

The 400wh battery is absolutely enough for my needs: in Tour mode I get around 55km on one charge.

The bike comes with the Purion display. I really like it more than the big screens. The only thing that I feel it's missing is a clock. I can't believe that they couldn't squeeze it in. I also find crazy that it's not powered by the main battery.

Ducknald Don

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2017
Oxfordshire
I've got the same bike but with the 500Wh battery, my experience sounds very similar to yours. I also put a rack on the back and had to change the light as it was on the wrong side for the UK. I also changed the tyres as the Smart Sams weren't very grippy and I had five punctures in the first 1100 miles.

Which dongle did you go for?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I've got the same bike but with the 500Wh battery, my experience sounds very similar to yours. I also put a rack on the back and had to change the light as it was on the wrong side for the UK. I also changed the tyres as the Smart Sams weren't very grippy and I had five punctures in the first 1100 miles.

Which dongle did you go for?
The light was on the wrong side? Bikes lights only point straight ahead. Don't they?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
OK understood.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yesterday I saw a CROSS HYBRID ONE Allroad 400 in the wild. Damned nice piece of industrial design.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
have no idea. My dealer sold it to me and fitted it on the bike, so I never saw it. All I can tell you is that it shows the correct speed all the time and that it can be enabled/disabled with a button sequence.
Now that's the sort of dongle I could use, I didn't know you could get one that showed the correct speed :cool:

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
Now that's the sort of dongle I could use, I didn't know you could get one that showed the correct speed :cool:
Not wanting to derail this thread, but your old bike goes very well with the mod linked in the post above ;)

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Not wanting to derail this thread, but your old bike goes very well with the mod linked in the post above ;)
Nice to know, and here's me still waiting on its replacement that was due in January :(