eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
For this bike, I don't know yet. I'm running stock Specialized Purgatory 27.5x3.0. I feel these are not best for snow. Knobs could be bigger and have more space between them as treads filled with snow quite easily as you can see from pics. I'm tempted to try the Maxxis High Roller II at least in the front. Unfortunately there are not many options for 27.5x3 and I would not like to downsize to 27.5x2.8.
I'm inclined the other way, I run 27.5x 2.6.
I don't like the floaty feel of 2.8/3.0.
The 2.6 is a nice compromise of volume for protection but still precise enough to be able to put the bike where I want it to go.
It took a couple of months to get used to the extra volume over 2.3's

Solrighal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2018
Provence, France
I decided today was the day I cycle to the top of the hill here. I've made some climbs previously but nothing as adventurous as this wee trip. It got off to a good enough start, the e-bike makes me smile every time it gets a bit difficult. To conserve some battery I went up the main part by road then at the top turned onto a gravel track that's signposted to Les Baux-de-Provence. The views from up here are absolutely breathtaking and the tracks are generally wide & always dry. Makes for some really chunky loose stones though, as I was to find out on the way back down.

Here's a photo of the bike with La Caume in the background...

In this photo Saint-Remy-de-Provence is in the foreground with Avignon in the middle distance. The far-away hill is one you all might have heard of, Mont Ventoux...

And then, on the way down, I crashed.

The bike's relatively ok, one bent pedal axle & a broken and torn seat. Both items are just the cheapie stock Giant parts so I've replaced the pedals with Shimano Saints & the saddle with a Sportourer. Both my legs are pretty battered though, even walking is difficult. I think what I did wrong was not appreciating just how much mass is involved when bikes like this are hurtling downhill. The front end just started to wash away. There was a brief moment where I thought I'd caught it but there were just too many loose boulders for the tyre to regain grip.

Luckily I was only 9km from home & it was all downhill. Lesson learned but I have to say, I love this bike even more now.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0635_01.JPG
DSC_0283_01.JPG
saves being stuck back together with a staple gun ;)

Reactions: Solrighal

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Looks quite slippery. I guess if I was out on my old Honda twin shock I would be running my tyres at anywhere around 8 to 12psi with security bolts. I suppose your tubeless oversize tyres can be run at pretty low pressures.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Looks quite slippery. I guess if I was out on my old Honda twin shock I would be running my tyres at anywhere around 8 to 12psi with security bolts. I suppose your tubeless oversize tyres can be run at pretty low pressures.
The sweet spot for the eMTB seems to be 16psi in the rear and 14psi in the front.

Oddly though, on my analogue MTB plus size bike, I run 18psi rear and 16psi front.

I'd have thought it the other way around given the weight difference, but for some weird reason, that is what works the best in both bikes.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
I run 25psi front and rear. It might be the sidewalls are a bit thin and don't give any support. But until i change tyres I'll stick with the above pressures.
Lower pressure would only aid climbing traction for me, but risk burping on the downs and tyres folding over in fast corners.
I don't think lower pressures would suit my riding style.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
With 27.5 x 2.6 tyres options are a bit limited, or mega expensive.
At 18 psi I'd be scared of dinging the rim on square edge hits.
Tried 20 psi when first had bike and put a split in the tyre side wall.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the sg tyres are a beast compared to a normal tyre think i paid about 40 quid for mine off ebay but took a fkn hour to get it on.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
I must be sweet then :) I run 14 front 16 rear, but then I'm not a heavy lass.
Hubs runs 20 front 22 rear but he's a heavy lad.....

Solrighal, ouch hope it heals soon. My right knee, from the 12 th January, still has a scabby bit, but I will not be picking it off it was too deep a wound. Left hand needing physio, but still able to do and ride.

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I must be sweet then :) I run 14 front 16 rear, but then I'm not a heavy lass.
I give credit to my twice weekly Kangoo Jumps class. :)

Which reminds me, someone told me a few days ago as I left the class, that it was cheating! I didn't get a chance to ask them what it was that I was cheating at, but it brought instant flash backs to riding an ebike and having the same accusations made. :D

Reactions: argoose

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I give credit to my twice weekly Kangoo Jumps class.

Which reminds me, someone told me a few days ago as I left the class, that it was cheating! I didn't get a chance to ask them what it was that I was cheating at, but it brought instant flash backs to riding an ebike and having the same accusations made. :D
Show them photos of your oven, a man who slow cooks rabbit in an oven like that can't be a cheat! :D

Reactions: EddiePJ

Related Articles

Advertisers