• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And just what is it about a"soft' Brexit that makes it worth while?
as much as you would want a solution that respects the wish of the 48%, a soft brexit is a flexible solution, recognising the wish of half the voters to leave and minimising the adverse effect on our economy.
Basically, you tone down the rhetoric of leavers to something manageable.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
little wonder most other EU members view what we are doing with disbelief.
we'll show them the way to get there with minimal cost.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is that your English "we" or your French "we"? :)
when I am in Southend, I feel British, when I am in France, I lapse back to the old time.

• :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
as much as you would want a solution that respects the wish of the 48%, a soft brexit is a flexible solution, recognising the wish of half the voters to leave and minimising the adverse effect on our economy.
Basically, you tone down the rhetoric of leavers to something manageable.
I want a solution that is best for the nation, not the 1% at the top
Brexit will not deliver that, and nobody can say it will. therefore it is a grave error of judgement to continue with this mad project.
Where does the flexibility come in for the average person? the only winners have offshore bank accounts.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I like the Norway model.
And never mind the fact that it is just a dead end, leading to obscurity for the nation, and no future worthy of the name.
Perhaps any nation foolish enough to think they can go it alone doesn't deserve a better future, after all they are clearly determined to live in the past.
Under the thumb of the elite.
Ironic that this is exactly the opposite of what the Brexit voters thought they had voted for and been promised.
When the penny finally drops a referendum won't buy peace.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ironic that this is exactly the opposite of what the Brexit voters thought they had voted for and been promised.
I think the priority is to cancel the EU membership, the rest can be fudged if necessary to reduce the economic impact.
Over time, we will be less reliant on the EU27.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I like the Norway model.
Which is so soft a Brexit and entirely under EU rules that it's really not worth leaving the EU.

Of course Norway's position is somewhat different from ours. They have a common land border with Russia, possess considerable wealth in their seas in both fish and gas and have a tiny population. For their own safety a form of close union with the EU and NATO membership is very desirable, and in fact their government tried to get approval for full EU membership. Unfortunately their public in a referendum wouldn't take that last very small step.

Our best variant of the Norway model is to stay in the EU.

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Which is so soft a Brexit and entirely under EU rules that it's really not worth leaving the EU.

Of course Norway's position is somewhat different from ours. They have a common land border with Russia, possess considerable wealth in their seas in both fish and gas and have a tiny population. For their own safety a form of close union with the EU and NATO membership is very desirable, and in fact their government tried to get approval for full EU membership. Unfortunately their public in a referendum wouldn't take that last very small step.

Our best variant of the Norway model is to stay in the EU.
It is the kind of country where they fly the flag in front of the house. Just in case you mistakenly think you are still in Sweden :D

• :D
  • Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, it still is. We need to stay close but become less dependent on the EU27. The way to do that is to keep all the trading arrangements we have with EU27 and 65 other countries, and look for new opportunities where the EU has not got FTAs already.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
yes, it still is. We need to stay close but become less dependent on the EU27. The way to do that is to keep all the trading arrangements we have with EU27 and 65 other countries, and look for new opportunities where the EU has not got FTAs already.
Got a list of countries for us? What are you going to sell them? If, for example, I had been a NZ business man and if you gave me access to a market of 500 million clients on one hand and a market of 50 million clients on the other at me, which one do you think I would invest most commercial efforts in?

Time to wake up. Trade is about buying at "x" and selling at "y" with profit margin "z". Today's market means I don't have to buy from the UK at "y", I can buy direct from China at "x". Or I can buy from inside the EU at "z" and have the benefit of consumer protection, my product is guaranteed for 12 full months. There is also some guarantee that the product meets certain quality specs.

What benefit is the UK going to offer me as a client in the future:

- better quality?
- consumer protection?
- same price as going direct to the source in China?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that is why I like the Norway model.
In the SM but can still add some in the future.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The lunatic woman supposedly leading the country towards a better future while ordering the bombing of Syrian targets in concert with France at the behest of the USA, really ought to be ripped apart in the Commons because, just like 'Brexit', the story about Syria is based on lies, very deliberate lies.......

Tom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer

Advertisers