Intermittent assist and throttle BBS01

aspie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 4, 2018
Hi there

I’ve recently added a bbs01 kit to my big heavy Dutch bike. When I ride it sometimes neither the PAS or the throttle give me any propulsion. It doesn’t seem to happen from start, but once I’m going, if I stop pedalling to change gear for example, sometimes assist doesn’t kick back in. At that point, if I try the throttle it’s dead. The display looks normal when it happens and registers my quickly decreasing speed. Normally before I grind to a halt, the throttle suddenly responds again.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot such a problem? I only recently purchased it from a U.K. company, so assume it’s under warranty, but not quite sure what to say is wrong as its intermittent and I can’t get it to do it with no load on my workstand.

Thanks for any advice

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If the brake sensor works intermittently, it may cause this symptom.
try unplugging one brake sensor at a time.

Reactions: aspie

aspie

Jun 4, 2018
Thank you for the suggestion. That sounds entirely possible. I’ll be a happy chappie if that’s all that is up I’ll give it a try!

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Hi there

I’ve recently added a bbs01 kit to my big heavy Dutch bike. When I ride it sometimes neither the PAS or the throttle give me any propulsion. It doesn’t seem to happen from start, but once I’m going, if I stop pedalling to change gear for example, sometimes assist doesn’t kick back in. At that point, if I try the throttle it’s dead. The display looks normal when it happens and registers my quickly decreasing speed. Normally before I grind to a halt, the throttle suddenly responds again.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot such a problem? I only recently purchased it from a U.K. company, so assume it’s under warranty, but not quite sure what to say is wrong as its intermittent and I can’t get it to do it with no load on my workstand.

Thanks for any advice
With my bbs01 350w I had some issues with pas and throttle intermittently working then not.Often after id stopped and not coming on again.This was i believe after rain affected the throttle. although it eventually improved there remained some issues whenever the throttle and even a new one was connected .Causing the pas to cut in and out. Eclipse bikes tested the controller and though there were no fets blown the fault was in the controller which they replaced.I spent ages on here trying to diagnose the prob with others help without success.

aspie

Jun 4, 2018
Thanks. I’ll check the brake sensors first but your symptoms sound similar too!

aspie

Jun 4, 2018
I’ve been out for a ride today and tested the brake sensors which are ok.

What I’ve noticed now is - If I’m pedalling and motor assist is wizzing along and I briefly pause pedalling and then resume pedalling, the motor doesn’t restart. I noticed if I keep the pedals still for about a second, I feel a slight clunk in pedals, like something is disengaging. After I feel the clunk the PAS and throttle work again.

Is this normal behaviour and I have to adjust my riding style maybe?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I guess not but there may be a logical explanation.
Can you reliably make it go wrong?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
So does the bike behave the same with both the brake sensors disconnected? Have you tried disconnecting the throttle and riding with just PAS?

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I’ve been out for a ride today and tested the brake sensors which are ok.

What I’ve noticed now is - If I’m pedalling and motor assist is wizzing along and I briefly pause pedalling and then resume pedalling, the motor doesn’t restart. I noticed if I keep the pedals still for about a second, I feel a slight clunk in pedals, like something is disengaging. After I feel the clunk the PAS and throttle work again.

If your speed has exceeded the 15mph cut off and you havent changed that ,then the motor wont run til ur back under 15.When u pause peddling the motor disengages after a second.Re peddling or throttle should give a powerful sensation of torque when using full power in throttle or high pas .Def no clunking.

aspie

Jun 4, 2018
I’ll have another try and report my findings on Sunday.

Disconnecting the brake sensors didn’t change anything. I’ll try disconnecting the throttle. I’ve temporarily upped the speed and I’m sure I wasn’t exceeding the limit.

It will reliably fail to spin if I pedal, stop pedalling for 0.5 seconds and pedal again. Same with the throttle, if release and reopen the throttle quickly it stops working.

If I then cease pedalling and release throttle for longer than a second, there is a tiny vibration felt in the pedals. I know it’s gonna work once I feel it. The vibration it’s short like a slight knock and then stops.. not a continuous knocking. I’m autistic with sensory sensitivity, so might be over exaggerating the size of the vibration, it’s almost imperceptible to hear but I feel it through my feet. I thought maybe It had a clutch and I could feel the crank disengaging from the motor.

I’ll do further experiments on Sunday. Thanks all for you help

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I’ll have another try and report my findings on Sunday.

Disconnecting the brake sensors didn’t change anything. I’ll try disconnecting the throttle. I’ve temporarily upped the speed and I’m sure I wasn’t exceeding the limit.

It will reliably fail to spin if I pedal, stop pedalling for 0.5 seconds and pedal again. Same with the throttle, if release and reopen the throttle quickly it stops working.

If I then cease pedalling and release throttle for longer than a second, there is a tiny vibration felt in the pedals. I know it’s gonna work once I feel it. The vibration it’s short like a slight knock and then stops.. not a continuous knocking. I’m autistic with sensory sensitivity, so might be over exaggerating the size of the vibration, it’s almost imperceptible to hear but I feel it through my feet. I thought maybe It had a clutch and I could feel the crank disengaging from the motor.

I’ll do further experiments on Sunday. Thanks all for you help
Thats def not right. Disconecting the throttle is the way to go.U will be amazed at the times people inc me had an issue and that solved it.My bbs01 issue was only fully solved with a replacement controller under the warrenty.Disconnecting the throttle worked but i wanted pas and throttle

Reactions: aspie

aspie

Jun 4, 2018
I've tried again without the throttle connected and it is working much better without!

There were a couple of occasions where it didn't kick back in after a brief pause in pedalling, but 90% better. I reconnected the throttle just to be sure and it was cutting out much more frequently.

EDIT: Forgot to say I have tried two throttles as I have a thumb one and a twist. Both show same symptoms, so i'm assuming they're ok.

So, I guess I do have a problem with the controller or maybe the motor as I can feel a clunk when the motor goes off and that feels like something mechanical happening in the crank. :( I'll send an email to the company and see what they say.

Riding it was a much more fun experience this morning. That's lifted my spirit a bit. Going out for another blast now! :D

Thank you!

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I've tried again without the throttle connected and it is working much better without!

There were a couple of occasions where it didn't kick back in after a brief pause in pedalling, but 90% better. I reconnected the throttle just to be sure and it was cutting out much more frequently.

EDIT: Forgot to say I have tried two throttles as I have a thumb one and a twist. Both show same symptoms, so i'm assuming they're ok.

So, I guess I do have a problem with the controller or maybe the motor as I can feel a clunk when the motor goes off and that feels like something mechanical happening in the crank. :( I'll send an email to the company and see what they say.

Riding it was a much more fun experience this morning. That's lifted my spirit a bit. Going out for another blast now! :D

Thank you!
its hard to diagnose these things.It may come to getting them to replace the controller.Eclipse said changing controllers usually solves problems. My issue started after a few drenchings.Throttle removed solved ,new throttle all ok.more drenchings,back again.Removing throttle in rain i believe then shorted through exposed connector and affected controller.U say u feeling a clunk through the peddles.I felt some wierd electrical/mechanical whirring grating sort of sensations through the peddles. the motor was trying to engage and died.Came back to life intermittently before working properly again cpl weeks later. Connecting Throttle still caused issue.Another New one the same.Turned out to be controller.All 3 throttles themselves fine.