Sensible Vehicles

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We have gone from zero bikes last year to two ebikes now.

Of course, we could have chosen folders but we didn't. So now we are considering how to transport them. Our current cars are unsuitable - have done the reading up and found both have issues. I could change my car and might do so.

Any suggestions as to what vehicles can readily carry two full size ebikes easily - without disassembly? Needs to be automatic and have decent a/c. Hoping for something a bit smaller than a Transit. :)

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
We have gone from zero bikes last year to two ebikes now.

Of course, we could have chosen folders but we didn't. So now we are considering how to transport them. Our current cars are unsuitable - have done the reading up and found both have issues. I could change my car and might do so.

Any suggestions as to what vehicles can readily carry two full size ebikes easily - without disassembly? Needs to be automatic and have decent a/c. Hoping for something a bit smaller than a Transit. :)
Tow bar and Thule bike carrier
Job done
And I damn side cheaper than changing the car
Unless of course you want to change :)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
My mate bought a thule heavy duty twin bike carrier that fits on the towball and tilts to enable rear access to the car. It's just like a lightweight version of a motorcycle carrier but heavier than a normal bike carrier. The bikes fit in wheel slots rather than being supported by arms through the frame.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and chris_n

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I don't have a car, I have an electrically assisted bike, don't need one...

Looking at options for when my son who also doesn't have a car comes to visit - trike folded and on trailer behind upright is the cheapest option. But a folder is definitely going to replace the upright non folding bike in the foreseeable future, probably a Tern Link D8 with a Q100C rear hub motor.

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Tow bar and Thule bike carrier
Job done
And I damn side cheaper than changing the car
Unless of course you want to change :)
Afraid one car simply cannot have a towbar - there is a special towbar-like bike carrier but the weight limit is too low. :(

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
That’s Vauxhall’s for you :(
Not a Vauxhall.

Donkeys years ago, I had a Vauxhall, which had its proper service at the right time. Shortly after, I needed help when it broke down on a motorway.

Something like, service interval 12,000 miles, spark plug life 15,000 miles. So 3,000 miles after service, you needed new spark plugs. Of course, they didn't tell you that. And if they had, it would have been obvious to replace them at the service even if that ended up making the service more expensive.

Anyway, after that, I refused ever to buy another one. Their more recent issues with fires have not exactly inspired confidence.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
My mate bought a thule heavy duty twin bike carrier that fits on the towball and tilts to enable rear access to the car. It's just like a lightweight version of a motorcycle carrier but heavier than a normal bike carrier. The bikes fit in wheel slots rather than being supported by arms through the frame.
Which model do you mean? Please.

Still not convinced - towbar alone is expensive. But that was one reason I asked my question - if I know the possible vehicle options which can contain two bikes, I can start to make up my mind.

Part of me does fancy a change.

Last edited:

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Afraid one car simply cannot have a towbar - there is a special towbar-like bike carrier but the weight limit is too low. :(
Not a Vauxhall ok

When you said the above quote I thought you meant the car was fitted with a pull out bike rack that wasn't up to the job
the only cars I had seen was Vauxhalls with intergrated bike racks as part of the car back bumper so thought you meant that's why you couldn't have a tow bar
a complete misunderstanding of your post on my part :)

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Which model do you mean? Please.

Still not convinced - towbar alone is expensive. But that was one reason I asked my question - if I knwo the possible vehicle options which can contain two bikes, I can start to make up my mind.

Part of me does fancy a change.
One of these would carry two ebikes
Thule VeloCompact 927

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not a Vauxhall ok

When you said the above quote I thought you meant the car was fitted with a pull out bike rack that wasn't up to the job
the only cars I had seen was Vauxhalls with intergrated bike racks as part of the car back bumper so thought you meant that's why you couldn't have a tow bar
a complete misunderstanding of your post on my part :)
:)
The official bike rack is optional but has a max. load of something like 32 kg for two, 20 kg for one. Just not enough.

It is also the smaller car.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
little-boy-with-christmas-tree-on-top-of-toy-car.jpg

• :D
Reactions: JimRides and oyster

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
How about an electric Nissan van, EV200 I think they’re called.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not a Vauxhall.

Donkeys years ago, I had a Vauxhall, which had its proper service at the right time. Shortly after, I needed help when it broke down on a motorway.

Something like, service interval 12,000 miles, spark plug life 15,000 miles. So 3,000 miles after service, you needed new spark plugs. Of course, they didn't tell you that. And if they had, it would have been obvious to replace them at the service even if that ended up making the service more expensive.

Anyway, after that, I refused ever to buy another one. Their more recent issues with fires have not exactly inspired confidence.
Strange how people's experiences with cars vary. Partly due to a long spell with one company's Vauxhall company cars, I've used more Vauxhalls than any other make and have never had one break down.

My first ever car at 19 was a 1936 Vauxhall DX six cylinder, born the year I was! My cars list in order of numbers owned/possessed is:

Vauxhall = 9
Ford = 4
BMC/BL stable = 4
Nissan = 2
Chrysler = 1
Peugeot = 1
Honda = 1
Volvo = 1
Fiat = 1
Skoda = 1
Chevrolet = 1
Suzuki = 1
Mitsubishi = 1

Currently a 2018 new Nissan Leaf in its 10th day with me.

And of course with ten years in the trade as a motor mechanic I've driven much else. I share the industry opinion, they're all good now, but any one can experience a problem on the odd occasion.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I share the industry opinion, they're all good now, but any one can experience a problem on the odd occasion.
Odd occasion :(
Cars are as rubbish now as they always have been just in different ways ,
The mechanical side of things are better in general, engine and box mechanicals
But the likes of dual mass flywheels , egr related problems , dpf filters just to give you a small selection of common issues and expensive common problems
There’s also now the added electronics which are a complete and utter headache
So as a current mechanic I’ve got to disagree with the “there all good now” statement who ever spilled that out is looking at the industry from a different angle to me (probably from an office somewhere)
:(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Odd occasion :(
Cars are as rubbish now as they always have been just in different ways ,
The mechanical side of things are better in general, engine and box mechanicals
But the likes of dual mass flywheels , egr related problems , dpf filters just to give you a small selection of common issues and expensive common problems
There’s also now the added electronics which are a complete and utter headache
So as a current mechanic I’ve got to disagree with the “there all good now” statement who ever spilled that out is looking at the industry from a different angle to me (probably from an office somewhere)
:(
All I can say to that is that together with huge numbers of others, I've been amazingy lucky not to experience all those problems in all my many cars.

The last industry man I heard say "they're all good now" was a Ford technical man who certainly wasn't speaking from an office!

Of course many of my numerous cars have only been with me a couple of years from new, just one was for 10 years, one for 7 years, two for 5 years and one for 3 years. The other 23 for two years only, which obviously helps.

Faults. The Fiat I kept for over 10 years had two minor electrical component problems easily dealt with. A Cavalier SRI had one spark plug fail during a trip which I completed. A Mini in the early 1960s lost second gear on day 2 from new, promptly repaired. No faults whatsoever in my last 15 years of retirement with six cars, one of them a 12 year old bought second hand and owned in parallel with another for a specific two year voluntary job.

And that's the total, hardly anything to complain about after 63 years of cars.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Strange how people's experiences with cars vary. Partly due to a long spell with one company's Vauxhall company cars, I've used more Vauxhalls than any other make and have never had one break down.

My first ever car at 19 was a 1936 Vauxhall DX six cylinder, born the year I was! My cars list in order of numbers owned/possessed is:

Vauxhall = 9
Ford = 4
BMC/BL stable = 4
Nissan = 2
Chrysler = 1
Peugeot = 1
Honda = 1
Volvo = 1
Fiat = 1
Skoda = 1
Chevrolet = 1
Suzuki = 1
Mitsubishi = 1

Currently a 2018 new Nissan Leaf in its 10th day with me.

And of course with ten years in the trade as a motor mechanic I've driven much else. I share the industry opinion, they're all good now, but any one can experience a problem on the odd occasion.
I got the impression that my spark plug issue was because Vauxhall wanted to keep their service cost appearing to be low. It was that it was a well-known issue that hacked me off.

No motor trade connection but, over the years, have driven quite a number of cars. Some of my least favourites have been a Chevette and Hillman Imp/Singer Chamois.

Reactions: flecc