Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Zlatan's faith in Maffs sorry "Sums" er Maths? reminds me of many years ago when the lads in the thermal lab bought a Sinclair programmable Scientific Calculator Kit
It was built with the level of care and dedication previously only encountered in the Manhattan Project, amid scenes of great enthusiasm.
How they rejoiced and great was their expectations when they figured out how to calculate odds with it and at the first attempt won Third Dividend on the Football Pools.
Such high hopes!
I don't need to tell you what happened to those hopes, do I?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Zlatan's faith in Maffs sorry "Sums" er Maths? reminds me of many years ago when the lads in the thermal lab bought a Sinclair programmable Scientific Calculator Kit
It was built with the level of care and dedication previously only encountered in the Manhattan Project, amid scenes of great enthusiasm.
How they rejoiced and great was their expectations when they figured out how to calculate odds with it and at the first attempt won Third Dividend on the Football Pools.
Such high hopes!
I don't need to tell you what happened to those hopes, do I?
Everything is maths OG well Math now in education speak.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Everything is maths OG well Math now in education speak.
Believe it or not I don't disagree in what i assume was the import of your statement, by the way there is an opening for a translator with HM Government have you thought of applying?
Or even more pertinent to the present situation
They could do with the mathematical equivalent of a "Fire and Brimstone" "Prophet of doom" to help with the Brexit negotiations
~Perhaps you could do a Mathematical exorcism on them? Minford wasn't really up to the job was he?
And this Dominic Cummings fella has gone off to sulk, and Lord Nigel is busy spending his EU pension (and expenses of course, as he wouldn't want his family to suffer)

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
think you, flecc and Woosh know more about Brexit than entire government...
That is damning us with very faint praise!

But the rest is fine by me, will there be nibbles too?

By the way
"
, m utterly unreliable nowadays OG. If it's sunny I go out on bike, if it's windy I sail, if its windless I ski.
No time to work...

You could always stand for parliament..

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am not surprised. He is a blot on the landscape of London.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Fantastic news folks!
What the EU, US and China couldn't achieve we shall overnight achieve and lead the world!
This glorious news in the the Express
"
BREXIT SOLUTION: May urged to create WORLD TRADE DEAL with NO divorce payout or EU power
PRESSURE is mounting on Theresa May to consider a new World Trade Deal after the EU rejected her Chequers plan for Brexit last week.

Hell, if we can pull off a "World Trade Deal" surely we will be so flush we that throw the divorce deal pittance in the EU's face, like pennies to a beggar?

The Empire strikes back.
I am so pleased, no more Mr Nice Guy!
"
The proposal for a bold new World Trade Deal would, according to leading economic experts, end austerity with a boost of £80 billion a year and guarantee that Britain is free of Brussels rule.

The proposals have been exclusively unveiled in the Daily Express as new Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab has said he is “relaxed” about not having a trade deal with the EU.

He has also made it clear that if Brussels bureaucrats continue to to refuse to see reason he will withhold the £39 billion divorce settlement promised in December.

The Brexit Secretary said there had to be "conditionality" under the Article 50 withdrawal mechanism between settling Britain's exit payment and creating a new relationship with the EU.

You were spot on Zlatan about folk on here knowing more than the government about Brexit,
Especially this Dominic Raab(AKA I am the proletariat) character

This Government has more heads than the hydra, and not a brain worthy of the name in any of 'em!

I kow where this idea came from... a Little Austrian Fella who's diplomatic skills came from the same stable

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is it the best of 'No deal brexit' visions?
I certainly do not want them to turn this country into a lawless, no regulation, no control, the Wild West of Europe.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
In the Daily Mail
"
UK won't block death penalty for Isis Beatles: Home Secretary says jihads can be taken to Guantanamo Bay and EXECUTED in secret letter as it's revealed they are implicated in murder of two Brits and three Americans.

"Sajid Javid, the Home Secretary, wrote in a letter to the American Attorney General Jeff Sessions that Britain will not need ‘assurances’ that the pair will avoid the death penalty, the Telegraph reported."

However much these human vermin deserve to die, the fact remains that the legal position of the UK opposes the Death penalty and the fact is that the home secretary has taken it upon himself to act as if the law does not exist.

If this is an example of the contempt that the Tory party hold for the rule of law being "only a guidline" then they should immediately resign and let someone prepared to up hold the law take office.
We cannot have people in the Home office that hold the law they are supposed to uphold in contempt.

For everyone's sake, resign Javid

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Is it the best of 'No deal brexit' visions?
I certainly do not want them to turn this country into a lawless, no regulation, no control, the Wild West of Europe.
Here's a little ditty dedicated to the actions of JRM, Boris and Gove

Reminiscent of the old comedy line
"I said don't look ethel! but it was too late!"

Don't look Theresa.......:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Nothing normal about your extraordinary service. :)
I shall take that as flattery on the grounds you can't insult a member of Clan Bell (at least no one has succeeded yet)
The Clan motto is "I bier the Bell" though some maintain it really means "Guilty as charged."
This is unfair as the American Branch of the Bell Clan Association is registered there as a Charity .
For shame! don't they have laws about things like that over there?

On a historical note, did you know we haven't had a Clan Chief for over 300 years?
For some reason the English Government discourage the idea, I mean that's petty, it's not as if we are threatening to move back up over the Border into Scotland again is it?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Trump saying this is one thing but saying it to the entire world on Twitter is another. I, d guess its nothing new threats like this being made between leaders but using Twitter for World Politics communication? What has world come to.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A reader comment in the Independent
"
Real European 5 hours ago
You write: "The bureaucrats in charge of the EU " Names and job titles please. Do name them. Because in reality this is who rules the EU: === 1. POLITICAL leadership of the EU === The highest political leadership of the EU is the EU Council. It consists of the Prime Ministers and Presidents of teh EU member states, namely Merkel (Germany), Tsipras (Greece), Sanchez (Spain), Costa (Portugal), Loefven (Sweden), Muscat (Malta), Pellegrini (Slovakia), Iohannis (Romania), Borisov (Bulgaria), Varadkar (Ireland), Anastasiades (Cyprus), Pjenkovic (Croatia), Orban (Hungary), , Kurz (Austria), Rasmussen (Denmark), Michel (Belgium), Rutte (Netherlands), Cerar (Slovenia), Ratas (Estonia), Bettel (Luxembourg), Sipila (Finland), Babis (Czech Republic), Morawiecki (Poland), May (United Kingdom), Kucinskis (Latvia), Macron (France), Conte (Italy) and Grybauskaite (Lithuania). Please allow this to sink in for a while, as it means the political decision making power actually rests with the member states. Each of them has 1 vote. Important issues require a unanimous vote. === 2. LEGISLATIVE decision making power === The legislative decision making power is shared by two bodies: the Council (of national ministers!) and the EU parliament. Only if both agree on the final wording of a bill, does it become law This is how the legislative decision making process of teh EU works: - Step 1: the only competences the EU has, are defined in the treaties which require a majority vote on the *parliaments* of all the member states withoute exception. Only within those areas of competence, given to it by the national parliaments, can the EU regulate. - Step 2: the EU commission then launches proposal (that's all it can do, it has no decision power) to turn treaties into practice and make sure that all member states adhere to the treaties - Step 3: when a proposal is launched, the NATIONAL PARLIAMENTS of the member states are informed first. If one third of them object to the issue being regulated by the EU and opine it should be regulated at a lower level (national, regional, local) , the proposal is stopped and sent back to the Commission that can either abandon or amend the proposal or can justify why it thinks it is best regulated at EU level before resubmitting it. If half of the national parliaments object, it's end of story for the propsal. As such, the national parliaments function as a Virtual Chamber of the EU and the EU can never regulate against the national parliaments. - Step 4: If the proposal gets past the Virtual Chamber of the national parliaments, it is passed on to the Council (of national ministers of the EU member states) and to the EU parliament who each can amend, reject or adopt the proposal. Only if both the Council (of National Ministers) and the EU Parliament agree on a final wording of the proposal, does it become law. Meaning that the legislative decision making power rests with the member states and with the EU parliament. === 3. What then are Juncker and Tusk? === Donald Tusk is the chairman of the EU Concil. He was elected by the Prime Ministers and Presidents of the member states with 27 of the 28 votes, while he only required a majority of the votes. He chairs the EU council meetings but HAS NOT VOTE on the EU council. JC Junker JC Juncker is the chairman of the EU Commission. A candidate fo rthis job requires a double majority to get elected: After the EU Parliamentary elections, each of the political groups in the EU parliament put forward their candidate - called Spitzenkandidaten. They each try to rally the support of as many MEPs as possible with public speaches etc. Eventually one candidate emerges who is backed by most MEPs. This candidate is then presented to the EU council (which consists of the Prime MInisters and Presidents of the EU member states), where he requires a qualified majority (55% of the member states representing 65% of the people) to be successful. Following a successful election in the EU Council, he then needs a majority vote of the actual number of seats in the EU Parliament..

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am not particularly worried about deficit of democracy in the EU - I am worried about the EU seeking to increase its field of competence into regulating most aspects of our life, thus removing accountability from people we elect directly. They just use the EU as excuse for anything that goes wrong.

I think we'd all better off to have a bit less of 'frictionless trade'.
Factories will adapt quickly to a little delay at the ports.

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers