Carrera Crossfire-E bike Hub drag

Sprog

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 23, 2017
Reading
What are you on! So "He'll figure it out eventually" is a nice friendly comment is it? Answer that one? Nice way to engage someone on the first ever post. I'm so sorry that I have lowered the tone with such a poor post and subject mater on something that is so precious to you. How was my post in anyway Toll and trying to cause trouble? On subject of wasted time, it looks like you spend all your time on here. Nearly 18k posts, you need to get out more on a bike. I said I had a problem, despite what you say. I look forward to you reporting this and kicking me out. I'm sure it will be the highlight of your week if not year!

friendly
ˈfrɛn(d)li/
adjective
  1. 1.
    kind and pleasant.
    "they werefriendly tome"
    synonyms: affectionate,affable,amiable,genial,congenial,cordial,warm,demonstrative,convivial,companionable,company-loving,sociable,gregarious,outgoing,clubbable,comradely,neighbourly,hospitable,approachable,easy to get along with,accessible,communicative,open,unreserved,easy-going,good-natured,kindly,benign,amenable,agreeable,obliging,sympathetic,well disposed,benevolent;More

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
What are you on! So "He'll figure it out eventually" is a nice friendly comment is it? Answer that one? Nice way to engage someone on the first ever post. I'm so sorry that I have lowered the tone with such a poor post and subject mater on something that is so precious to you. How was my post in anyway Toll and trying to cause trouble? On subject of wasted time, it looks like you spend all your time on here. Nearly 18k posts, you need to get out more on a bike. I said I had a problem, despite what you say. I look forward to you reporting this and kicking me out. I'm sure it will be the highlight of your week if not year!

friendly
ˈfrɛn(d)li/
adjective
  1. 1.
    kind and pleasant.
    "they werefriendly tome"
    synonyms: affectionate,affable,amiable,genial,congenial,cordial,warm,demonstrative,convivial,companionable,company-loving,sociable,gregarious,outgoing,clubbable,comradely,neighbourly,hospitable,approachable,easy to get along with,accessible,communicative,open,unreserved,easy-going,good-natured,kindly,benign,amenable,agreeable,obliging,sympathetic,well disposed,benevolent;More
I believe you are way out of line here. D8veh, myself and others have replied at lenght to help figure out what is apparently a perplexing and unusual issue with your bike. Our responses where based on info you gave and other feedback to the thread. It seems to me that you are the only one with an issue here.

As for your "friendly" participation in this thread, I will refer you back to line #6 where I made reference to the field of mud effect. It is the first thing I routinely say to ebikers when they talk about the power drop off at 15.5mph. The first part of your response on line #7 was to tell me all about your cycling and mechanical experince as if I was somehow magically suppose to know that before I suggested it.

Bottom line is that d8veh has helped countless people in the forum countless times, including myself. I am sure that the way you took his responses was a form of theft. You took offense where none was offered. Have a good day sir.

phil01

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2017
Dartford Kent

friendly
ˈfrɛn(d)li/
adjective
  1. 1.
    kind and pleasant.
    "they werefriendly tome"
Close the door in the way out.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Close the door in the way out.
Hang on.. is this not all getting a bit personal...
The op indicated a perceived problem, d8veh, suggested on the basis of long experience that it was psychological. The op brindled at that. Nett result nothing sorted , just bad feeling generated. The Op might still have a real problem.

My advice to the OP is to turn the bike upside down , turn the pedals until the Speedo reads 15.5mph and then a bit more , does it become significantly harder to rotate the pedals. If so then the clutch is sticking and the motor is trying to generate power and his description is apt.
If not then he might turn the bike rightsize up , get a strong friend to elevate the back wheel a little and repeat the experiment, if no problem results then he might have the good grace to apologise. If there is a problem, perhaps he would report back, and then tackle Halfords...

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
I would say ride it with the power off , no drop off point and will drag from the outset,then go to Halfrauds, get a test ride on a new one, see it that is the same and take it from there for resolution, my A2B metro was impossible to ride with motor switched off, my MTB with crystalyte hub dragged once the battery switched out with LVC or highest speed setting attained. Then it's just Man V 20 kilo plus of behemoth bike....... Bike wins, leaving a sweaty rubber legged pedelecer on kerbside gasping for air and water.

D

Deleted member 4366

I would say ride it with the power off , no drop off point and will drag from the outset,then go to Halfrauds, get a test ride on a new one, see it that is the same and take it from there for resolution, my A2B metro was impossible to ride with motor switched off, my MTB with crystalyte hub dragged once the battery switched out with LVC or highest speed setting attained. Then it's just Man V 20 kilo plus of behemoth bike....... Bike wins, leaving a sweaty rubber legged pedelecer on kerbside gasping for air and water.
Yes, but just to make it clear to those that don't know, both those bikes have non-freewheeling motors, so completely different to OP's.

• Informative
Reactions: Ultrafunkula

oggie

Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2017
chester
I have experienced the same feeling of drag when using zero assist. Quite a resistance when peddaling.
I Turned the power off at the battery rode the bike and no resistance (drag) at all. Turn the power back on rode with assist then went to zero assist again and a definate drag.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Anyone one else have a big issue with serious drag back from the hub with this bike? If doing about 16.5 /17.8mph on the flat I get a real drag/hub brake engagement. The harder I pedal the worse it gets. If I can get past this speed downhill, its fine. On a flat I'm stuffed. Why would it have such drag at this speed? I know they are limited but would expect the electric to cut out but not put the hub/brake/drag on to the extent that it I have to stop peddling and than wait to drop under 15mph before starting peddling again. Really getting on my nerves!
I test rode this bike a week ago and that was my exact experience. I put it down tot the assistance cutting out. It was very off putting. I tend to agree with D8veh's explanation.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I too have a similar problem on my 2-week old crossfire E but there are differences.
On mine the drag happens about 12 mph on the flat or going downhill when no assistance is dialled in or required. And the harder I pedal the more the drag seems to increase. If I stop pedalling the bike freewheels OK.
It doesn't happen all the time - it seems to be about 30 minutes into a ride. And I can sometimes cure it by dialling in some assistance, accelerating up to 17 or 18mph then switching off and pedalling is Ok (well as good as can be expected from a 30kg bike (with my accessories).
I have read some of the possible explanations above, and would be grateful if those knowledgeable guys could tell me what to tell Halfords to check when it goes in for its first service.
(loving the bike by the way - did 46 miles yesterday and half of it was in the Cleveland hills which I couldn;t have attempted on a non-electric bike)
Mike

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Here's an update. The hub drag problem on mine is getting worse. I rode around Kielder reservoir yesterday and only very occasionally was I able to put it into 'no assistance' mode. When I did, it was like the brakes being applied. At one stage I could barely pedal on level ground in 2nd gear at 8mph and even when the speed dropped to 5mph I could hardly move the bike forwards. On another occasion coming down quite a steep long slope I couldn't get to more that 17 or 18mph while pedalling (assistance off) and when I freewheeled I actually accelerated up to about 25mph.
The good news is that the electrical assistance was brilliant for the entire 30 miles around Kielder.
So passing Halfords Gateshead on the way back I called in and one of their guys tried it in no-assistance mode and said that despite him being an 'athlete' there was no way he could have pedalled the bike very far.
However, today when I took it back to the Halfords I bought it from, two of their staff tried it and claimed it was normal (it wasn't). So I then took their display model out and whilst it was considerably better than mine I could still detect the same problem with their bike. I think Suntour may have a batch problem and I also suspect this issue gets worse as mileage builds up. Mine has now done 270 miles and is pretty dreadful. Their demonstrator has done 30 miles and it's OK-ish.
Mike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
May need new grease or lack of internal greasing and a service internally.
No brakes binding or axle over tight causing binding.

Any one brave enough to open theirs up to have a gander ?
If not send it to me to have a poke around however there is a disclaimer that I won't be held responsible if it didn't help to solve the issue :p or even turn again :eek:.

Last edited:

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
May need new grease or lack of internal greasing and a service internally.
No brakes binding or axle over tight causing binding.

Any one brave enough to open theirs up to have a gander ?
If not send it to me to have a poke around however there is a disclaimer that I won't be held responsible if it didn't help to solve the issue :p or even turn again :eek:.
Thanks Neal - I may take you up on that eventually ;) The bike is only two weeks old so new grease probably not required unless it was never greased properly in the factory.
Brakes definitely not binding - when it was happening I lifted the wheels and spun them and they spun freely. Axle could be overtight, but I don't see how that would make it OK sometimes and binding others.
Mike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Also might be an age thing and too new so not worn in yet.
My Bafang CST is a lovely motor now it has a good 4k+ miles on it, it is easier to ride unassisted then when new, It has had more grease added and new bearings, other wise internally all is original.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks Neal - I may take you up on that eventually ;) The bike is only two weeks old so new grease probably not required unless it was never greased properly in the factory.
Brakes definitely not binding - when it was happening I lifted the wheels and spun them and they spun freely. Axle could be overtight, but I don't see how that would make it OK sometimes and binding others.
Mike
Some hubs greasing is very sparse even from the factory.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Final update on this. Full marks to Halfords Hartlepool (in the end). They took my Crossfire back in and let me upgrade to a Crossfuse E (which has the Bosch Active Line Plus). They did all this within two days and when I went to collect the Crossfuse all my accessories had been swapped over. I think the staff there had been losing patience with what they should order to try and fix my Crossfire E.
And just to re-emphasise if your Crossfire e is (sometimes) very hard to pedal with the power off, it's not you, it's the bike - take it back and complain because I think they have a batch problem as their demo bike had the same fault.
Mike
PS 14 miles so far on the Crossfuse and hardly had to use the assistance

Richard10666

Aug 9, 2018
Anyone one else have a big issue with serious drag back from the hub with this bike? If doing about 16.5 /17.8mph on the flat I get a real drag/hub brake engagement. The harder I pedal the worse it gets. If I can get past this speed downhill, its fine. On a flat I'm stuffed. Why would it have such drag at this speed? I know they are limited but would expect the electric to cut out but not put the hub/brake/drag on to the extent that it I have to stop peddling and than wait to drop under 15mph before starting peddling again. Really getting on my nerves!
Drill a 3mil hole in the motor,fill with 100mils of grease then plug hole with a dap of silicone,
i used a 50mil syringe,

Richard10666

Aug 9, 2018
any chance of a youtube video, any particular part of the motor housing, what grease etc
any chance of a youtube video, any particular part of the motor housing, what grease etc
Hi
I have a couple of photos for you, Give me a call if you like.
All the best

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Drilling a hole in the hub may be good idea for greasing but best done worth hub open as you wouldn't want any pieces of swarf/filings in the hub to cause damage later down the line..
When I get a new hub I always open it and add grease if needed and screw it up just tight enough so I know it will come apart in the future when bearings/servicing may be required.
The Bafang/8funs & Yose are easy and with face plate mounting and only require 6 screws to remove.

Advertisers