Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And there was me , thinking an "old Management Habit was Golf" :rolleyes:
I've never played it or even tried to, despite having no fewer than eight golf courses in walking reach. The edge of one is only three hundred yards away, the next two only just over a thousand yards! You can see two of them close to me in this photo:

Aerial above Markfield.jpg

Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I love the way the Government invert reality as this example in the Sun
"
WHAT ARE EU THINKING?
Jeremy Hunt warns European Union leaders to ‘step back from the abyss’ of a no-deal Brexit

Following the angry clashes at the Salzburg summit, the Foreign Secretary said it was 'counterproductive' to 'insult' Britain's referendum vote

And the readers fall for this?
Amazing that anyone could be so naive as to imagine that this is a "Cliff edge" situation for the EU rather than us!

This is the IMF view
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jul/19/no-deal-brexit-would-harm-all-european-countries-warns-imf

"Growth across Europe forecast to fall if UK adopted WTO rules, with Britain worst affected"

And it clearly shows is that the best outcome for both halves of Ireland are to unite and stay in the EU

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I've never played it or even tried to, despite having no fewer than eight golf courses in walking reach. The edge of one is only three hundred yards away, the next two only just over a thousand yards! You can see two of them close to me in this photo:

View attachment 26866
Crikey! the photo gives the impression the area would be hell to evacuate down single arterial road, unless there are some hidden roads among the trees, is this true?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Crikey! the photo gives the impression the area would be hell to evacuate down single arterial road, unless there are some hidden roads among the trees, is this true?
Yes, single road, but six footpaths hidden by trees leading out to the rest of the world. It's mostly London but at the lower tip of the housing the golf course is all Surrey. Here's another photo I took from the air back in 1976, facing south this time before the lower golf course was built

Markfield from Helicopter.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
he is a lot better than TM.
He supported a second referendum, single market and customs union.
So what on earth is he doing in the cabinet of a government that is anti-second referendum, anti-single-market, anti-customs union and seeming to do everything it can to ensure a dismal outcome?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So what on earth is he doing in the cabinet of a government that is anti-second referendum, anti-single-market, anti-customs union and seeming to do everything it can to ensure a dismal outcome?
he is a career politician. A technocrat if you like. Head Boy, first class PPE Oxford. Rapid progress through the ranks, current FO portfolio, next job PM?

• Informative

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Joke of the Day from the Express
"
BREXIT BOMBSHELL: Defiant May warns Corbyn meddling will send talks ‘back to SQUARE ONE’
THERESA MAY has insisted the country must “hold its nerve” in its standoff with the EU and vowed: “This is the moment to do what is right for Britain".

Hang on there, shouldn't she be talking to her Crony's first before having a "go" at somone not in a position to make decisions?
And of course she doesn't speak for the "Country" just a large faction that voted for Brexit (maybe, or does she?)

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
In the Independent Corbyn is still hedging his bets
"
The Labour leader’s new comments on a People’s Vote Brexit referendum come as a new YouGov poll showed his party’s members overwhelmingly back one, while more than 100 motions relating to a new vote have been proposed for the conference in Liverpool.

He said: “What comes out of conference I will adhere to. But I’m not calling for a second referendum. I hope we will agree that the best way of resolving this is a general election.

Hope as much as you like, but if you imagine you will get into no 10 without promising either a referendum, or cancelling Brexit, you have not a snowflake in hell's chance.
Frankly I will still only vote for a party that opposes Brexit, nothing less is acceptable.
As Churchill once famously said
"I am a man of simple tastes
The very best will do."

And EU membership is so clearly that, it's amazing that people still cling to wanting to damage the future of this nation by rejecting it in favour of what is simply a bet against impossible odds, and to make it even more fantastic employing a bunch of political imbeciles to do the job!

Last edited:
  • Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hope as much as you like, but if you imagine you will get into no 10 without promising either a referendum, or cancelling Brexit, you have not a snowflake in hell's chance.
promising a referendum is vote winning, delivering it is not.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
There would almost certainly be more votes cast in a referendum than for any party in a GE. :):):):)
That's what happens when a promise is made rather than a contradictory manifesto.
The problem with referendums is this. People believe that like rubbing a magic lamp, the expressed promise is guaranteed to come true, regardless of how difficult or even impossible it turns out to be.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
That's what happens when a promise is made rather than a contradictory manifesto.
The problem with referendums is this. People believe that like rubbing a magic lamp, the expressed promise is guaranteed to come true, regardless of how difficult or even impossible it turns out to be.
Another major problem with referendums is how changes in demography and of minds can be incorporated.

I have heard a number of people saying how a second referendum on brexit would be undemocratic (as we all have) but none can explain how one referendum binds the government forever into the future even if demonstrably against the "will of the people" now, whereas a second is fundamentally undemocratic.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Reactions: oldtom

Advertisers