Best, easiest bike to derestrict?

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
Hi All,

I am looking for an electric mountain bike purely for work purposes as my next car will be too nice to go to work in, as my place of work has quite a bit of dust and fallout and would eventually spoil my car or the paintwork over a period of time. An electrically assisted bike would be great as my journey to work is a gradient downhill and uphill all the way home and after a busy shift the assistance would be most welcome.

I have been looking at the Carerra Hybrid from Halfords currently on sale at £1,000 and just missed the deadline for my employers Cycle-2-Work scheme through Halfords where I would of got a good deal. I am more than capable of modifying the bike myself with the necessary dongle/equipment etc. I just need to know if there is a better bike available or an easier one to modify with/without a dongle.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Steve.

Reactions: djbaaz

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
the Carrera is not the one if you want to modify it several threads about how hard it has proved to be no software cheat or dongle will work on them

Reactions: djbaaz

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Most mass produced for Halfords decathlon etc are bikes at under 1k and are built to a sale price with no scope to modify easily with out replacement of major components
The higher price with the Bosch mid drive are an option
I self build so can pick and modify
I jumped in quickly as did not want you to make a costly mistake
others on here will be along to help soon

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
Most mass produced for Halfords decathlon etc are bikes at under 1k and are built to a sale price with no scope to modify easily with out replacement of major components
The higher price with the Bosch mid drive are an option
I self build so can pick and modify
I jumped in quickly as did not want you to make a costly mistake
others on here will be along to help soon
Thanks for the heads up, Im not looking to spend much more than £1,000 as it is purely going to be a work bike and I am quite handy with repairing or modifying my own stuff I just want to be able to do the same to an e-bike.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
the Oxygen bikes are simple to derestrict, but you would lose yout warranty

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
Hmm, you say they are easy to do, but then ask how to do it? So how do you know they are easy to do? Search these forums or search Google for E Bike Tuning, I don't know, sorry.

Steve.
Oops, sorry I've been nights and not fully awake yet, you didn't say that and was replying to another forum user, sorry. However, you still need to do some research and also search you tube.

Steve

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
I've ordered the Cube Acid Hybrid One 500-29, 2019 model today. Probably won't derestrict it straight away. However, there are two ways to do this I believe, 1) Fit a Speedbox dongle (easy) and 2) reposition the wheel sensor and fit the wheel magnet to the left crank. This achieves approx 28mph so I am told.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I've ordered the Cube Acid Hybrid One 500-29, 2019 model today. Probably won't derestrict it straight away. However, there are two ways to do this I believe, 1) Fit a Speedbox dongle (easy) and 2) reposition the wheel sensor and fit the wheel magnet to the left crank. This achieves approx 28mph so I am told.
2) Don't think that works with Bosch motors, it's fine with Yamaha. Please update if it is successful.

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
2) Don't think that works with Bosch motors, it's fine with Yamaha. Please update if it is successful.
I've just watched a few YouTube videos of it working with Bosch motors and someone who works in a shop also told me it works. I guess you've probably got a Yamaha motor.

Steve,

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I've just watched a few YouTube videos of it working with Bosch motors and someone who works in a shop also told me it works. I guess you've probably got a Yamaha motor.

Steve,
I have, I know it works because I have done it. I've never personally seen it wirk on Bosch hence the number of dongles available. Maybe it works with the new motors with the full size chainrings as it is certainly now possible to have a 1-1 transmission. If you have a 32 tooth chainring and a 32 tooth gear on your cassette I can't see how software could spot that without additional sensors. Like I said let us know if it works.

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
I have, I know it works because I have done it. I've never personally seen it wirk on Bosch hence the number of dongles available. Maybe it works with the new motors with the full size chainrings as it is certainly now possible to have a 1-1 transmission. If you have a 32 tooth chainring and a 32 tooth gear on your cassette I can't see how software could spot that without additional sensors. Like I said let us know if it works.

Hi,

I would like to confirm that it works! I moved the sensor to the other side of the frame near the crank and tie wrapped it in position. Placed two small 10mm Neodymium magnets on the end of the pedal (that part is steel) to make the magnets closer to the sensor and it works brilliantly. The speedo shows a max speed of about 6 to 7 MPH and to combat this I purchased a separate digital speedometer which I have attached to the front wheel and checked the speed with a GPS device and it works great. Assistance way past 15.5mph ( don't know at what speed it stops assisting as I don't ride that fast. Max speed I tested it at was 23 MPH and it was still assisting my ride.

I have tested this method with:

Cube Acid Hybrid One 400-29-2018
Cube Acid Hybrid One 500-29-2019

Steve.

Advertisers