30 very happy miles on my new Crossfuse!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yeah I understand why you'd think it could be the weight of the bike but It isn't that. The crossfuse and crossfire weight about the same and I can cycle the crossfuse without the motor with ease.

The hub was 100% dragging! Even the staff said the hubs drag as it was the design. I'm having no issues with my new bike :)
the drag can come from two places: the cassette or the motor's bearings.
put the bike on a stand, spin the cranks and wait for the wheel to stop. If the cogs on the cassette/chain move then the drag comes from the cassette. If not then the drag comes from the internal clutch unit or the motor's bearings.

Reactions: kingsknight

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
It was 100% a clutch issue because the bike would be fine while free rolling down a hill till you hit 16.5ish mph and then you'd feel the drag! but again I was told this was 100% normal for a hub driven bike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
but again I was told this was 100% normal for a hub driven bike.
No. There is an effect called cogging or magnetic binding on direct drive hub motors but not on geared hub motors.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Yes - just to remphasise the issue. My Crossfire was sometimes ok and sometimes dreadful to pedal with the motor off. My first long trip was 46 miles into the Cleveland hills and the first 23 miles were pretty flat and I pedalled over 16mph and thoroughly enjoyed it. The next 23 were through the hills and the motor was on most of the time and it was brilliant. The next trip was 27 miles around kielder and the Bike played up badly so that most of the time I tried to pedal with the motor off I could hardly move it even pedalling down hill. Fortunately it was still misbehaving when I called into Halfords Gateshead and they instantly said something was drastically wrong. However the next day at my local Halfords the Bike seemed ok. I took their demonstrator out and I could feel it had the same problem. Some runs it felt fine and others there was too much drag.
I think that probably every Crossfire owner has this issue but they are being fobbed off with the ‘its a heavy bike thing’
Mike
Ps 130 miles so far this week by the side of the Mosel on my Crossfuse and it’s been outstanding

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
Mike,

I was told the exact same thing "the bike is just heavy". I knew something wasn't right because it was almost unrideable with the motor off.

Also the "eco" mode was completely useless, barely did anything! The eco mode of the crossfuse is MUCH better. You do notice the extra weight on the crossfuse but the bike is never fighting you, you feel like you can easily free roll!

To be honest, I'm shocked Halfords even bothers selling the Crossfire anymore with it's long list of issues!

Which is a massive shame, as it is a really good bike when it's working!

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeS

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
To be honest, I'm shocked Halfords even bothers selling the Crossfire anymore with it's long list of issues!
I agree, they really should be taken to task for continuing to foist these machines of onto newby e-bikers. I wonder how many people have been put off entirely?

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
It nearly put me off to be honest but I did a lot of research about ebike and the Crossfuse is a really big up upgrade so I just paid the extra cash!

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
The Halfords by mine have been amazing and super helpful. They admitted to my face they shouldn't be selling the bike as it has had the exact same issue for nearly 3 years and they cannot fix it. I had my whole system replaced including the battery and it still cut out exactly the same. I still have the footage on my phone if it is any good to anyone.
That just confirms all my prejudice against the H company. Before deciding to do my own conversion and discovering Woosh I booked a test ride at my local store on that bike. I thought it quite a professional service and when I went to get it i asked what I thought was the honest bike dept manager if the problems I had heard about were still an issue. He said they were something to do with a sensor (torque?) and this had been changed and everything sorted out. He even went on to say they had sold a lot without a single problem. It was obviously complete bull$hit and just so short sighted as chances are he would have been caught out when mine went wrong if I had bought it. I was very suspicious when I brought it back an hour or two later and he was not there and another junior guy booked it back in. A couple of weeks earlier I had given quite a generous tip to this guy when he kindly allowed us to jump the queue of people getting small jobs done on their cars after our brake light failed just as we were setting off on holiday with a car full of stuff. As he took the Crossfire off me he said hello and then looked me in the eye and said "I would save up for a Crossfuse if I were you mate". When I asked him why he just winked !

Edit: Oh yes, I have just remembered. I bought a crank extractor I needed to fit the Woosh kit from that store and the same manager served me. I had never used an extractor with a built in handle before and this one looked a bit feeble even though it was called 'Professional'. I asked the manager if it would stand up to me putting my weight behind it if my crank was stiff and he said "You will never bend that" A couple of hours later I was back in the store with a completely deformed extractor ! I am not a strong guy but it was just not fit for purpose. It is still on their website now - heaven knows how many get returned :)

Last edited: