Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Another major problem with referendums is how changes in demography and of minds can be incorporated.

I have heard a number of people saying how a second referendum on brexit would be undemocratic (as we all have) but none can explain how one referendum binds the government forever into the future even if demonstrably against the "will of the people" now, whereas a second is fundamentally undemocratic.
I believe the understanding of the leave supporters is that somehow they have Property Rights over Brexit,made inviolable by the marginal victory in the The Referendum.
Their greatest fear is of a second vote robbing them as what they perceive is some sort of "Salvation" from an imagined "overlordship" on the part of the EU

• :D
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I believe the understanding of the leave supporters is that somehow they have Property Rights over Brexit,made inviolable by the marginal victory in the The Referendum.
Their greatest fear is of a second vote robbing them as what they perceive is some sort of "Salvation" from an imagined "overlordship" on the part of the EU
I hope they don't try to assert Intellectual Property rights over brexit. It is intellectually bankrupt so there can't be any IP rights. As for moral rights...

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Liked the comments:

Range Rover Velar: ‘It feels like the brand’s flagship model’
Designed to fill the space between the Evoque and and the larger Range Rover Sport, the exceptional Velar comfortably exceeds its brief

John Webb
1h ago
I will use my Brexit Bonus to purchase one!

The ‘Brexit Bonus’ as you refer to has now been rebranded as the ‘Tory-Brexit Velar’ tories have a long history of hiding things, your bonus being one of them.

Reactions: oldgroaner

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's what happens when a promise is made rather than a contradictory manifesto.
The problem with referendums is this. People believe that like rubbing a magic lamp, the expressed promise is guaranteed to come true, regardless of how difficult or even impossible it turns out to be.
I believe in responsible and efficient government that is underpinned by one person one vote but I think democracy as a yardstick is a bit overrated.
If there is a second referendum right now, voters are still very much split in the middle. The fantasy of sovereignty is not going to be confronted by real, practical difficulties.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I believe in responsible and efficient government that is underpinned by one person one vote but I think democracy as a yardstick is a bit overrated.
If there is a second referendum right now, voters are still very much split in the middle. The fantasy of sovereignty is not going to be confronted by real, practical difficulties.
One man one vote eh?

Grease Smug agrees with that as expressed here

"“Ankh-Morpork had dallied with many forms of government and had ended up with that form of democracy known as One Man, One Vote. The Patrician was the Man, he had the Vote.” (Mort, Terry Pratchett) :cool:

Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have heard a number of people saying how a second referendum on brexit would be undemocratic
But it would be a third referendum of course which makes it democratic:

1975 Referendum = Democratic

2016 Referendum = Undemocratic

New Referendum = Democratic

Balance being an essential of democracy.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
But it would be a third referendum of course which makes it democratic:

1975 Referendum = Democratic

2016 Referendum = Undemocratic

New Referendum = Democratic

Balance being an essential of democracy.
There have been several GEs since 1975, including since the European cooperation became the EU. The antis had their opportunity to vote against at each and every one of them. Maybe they did? But they did not demonstrate that their viewpoint had the backing of the electorate.

I agree that the 2016 referendum was a travesty - and the remain camp did not exactly campaign effectively. Most of what I saw was Cameron whining on unconvincingly.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
In the same way we keep having general elections?
We can call it democracy, after all what's the difference?
Care to explain what that is?
And if brexit is a good idea, it will win, won't it?
So you really can't object, can you?
We can call it
NEVERENDUMWILLOFTHE PEOPLE
Isn't that what you wanted?
And if not, why not?

Lets have a Referendum every 3 years, We can call it a
NEVERENDUM
Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And if brexit is a good idea, it will win, won't it?
it may. That's a real problem for remainers.
TM may call one in October/November to avoid a leadership contest.
Until voters experience real brexit, the next referendum can be manipulated by rich people with vested interest like the last one.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
I would be happy with another Referendum on one condition..
The turnout needs to be the same as the last one.
I don't want the result to go either way because of the
"what's the point of voting" attitude.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would be happy with another Referendum on one condition..
The turnout needs to be the same as the last one.
I don't want the result to go either way because of the
"what's the point of voting" attitude.
Or turnout better than last time.

In such an important issue there should have been conditions attached to the 2016 referendum. The turnout at least 70% of the electorate and at least 60% of those voting for a change for it to be acted on.

To make the change we are making on such a tiny margin is foolish, leading to a divided country which will not be at peace between both sides for decades.

However I was opposed to having a referendum in the first place and am still opposed to them. This is a parliamentary democracy and such matters are a duty of parliament alone.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Or turnout better than last time.

In such an important issue there should have been conditions attached to the 2016 referendum. The turnout at least 70% of the electorate and at least 60% of those voting for a change for it to be acted on.

To make the change we are making on such a tiny margin is foolish, leading to a divided country which will not be at peace between both sides for decades.

However I was opposed to having a referendum in the first place and am still opposed to them. This is a parliamentary democracy and such matters are a duty of parliament alone.
Emotionally, I agree. Trouble could be if (say) the brexit people thought they wouldn't win on the day and implored their supporters not to vote. If there is a clear turnout rule, that could be a way of ensuring the referendum fails to deliver any result.

In some ways, regular well-conducted opinion polls already provide some feedback to the parliamentarians. What notice they take is another matter. There is always that split between doing what the voters say they want and doing what is believed to be the right thing.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Emotionally, I agree. Trouble could be if (say) the brexit people thought they wouldn't win on the day and implored their supporters not to vote. If there is a clear turnout rule, that could be a way of ensuring the referendum fails to deliver any result.
Then the status quo would stay in place and the boycotters opinions discredited in future. I'm sure that would be realised before and the tactic not tried.

I maintain at least 70% should take part in such a fundamental and fairly permanent decision, or better still, that in the first place it had been left to parliament where such decisions should be taken.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
The answer on whether to have another brexit referendum or not, is to have a referendum on whether to have another brexit referendum or not. Then the second brexit referendum will happen or not happen, depending on the will of the people.
It's simple really.

Reactions: Wicky and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The answer on whether to have another brexit referendum or not, is to have a referendum on whether to have another brexit referendum or not. Then the second brexit referendum will happen or not happen, depending on the will of the people.
It's simple really.
Could be combined into one referendum:

On the proposed deal to leave the EU:

There should be a referendum on whether to accept the new referendum deal:

Yes . . . . [ . . . ]

No. . . . . [ . . . ]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the result is we should have a referendum on acceptance, how would you vote?

Accept . . . . . [ . . . ]

Reject . . . . . . [ . . . ]

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Could be combined into one referendum:

On the proposed deal to leave the EU:

There should be a referendum on whether to accept the new referendum deal:

Yes . . . . [ . . . ]

No. . . . . [ . . . ]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the result is we should have a referendum on acceptance, how would you vote?

Accept . . . . . [ . . . ]

Reject . . . . . . [ . . . ]

It's a good idea but it wouldn't work. You're asking the proletariat to make 2 important decisions at the same time. There was a woman in the audience of Question Time once who said she'd been undecided about the referendum right up until the night before it. Then she thought "straight bananas" and voted leave. You couldn't ask that poor lady to make 2 decisions at the same time.
Strangely though, no one asked her if she'd ever actually seen a straight banana.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a good idea but it wouldn't work. You're asking the proletariat to make 2 important decisions at the same time. There was a woman in the audience of Question Time once who said she'd been undecided about the referendum right up until the night before it. Then she thought "straight bananas" and voted leave. You couldn't ask that poor lady to make 2 decisions at the same time.
Strangely though, no one asked her if she'd ever actually seen a straight banana.
Most Londoners manage. We've had elections combining two or even three of the following:

For European Parliament members, Parliamentary constituency MPs, GLC councillors, Local councillors and the Mayor of London post.

Some of those have huge lists of names to choose from and they include proportional representation counts which lend themselves to tactical voting.

Maybe some areas need to challenge their public more, that's the basis of education.

Last edited:

Advertisers