Results of cycling accident

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
One of those odd stories that, whilst it starts with cycling, goes somewhere very different.

Hope it holds some interest.

I woke up unable to speak English
By Beth Rose

Hannah Jenkins speaks English in the morning and German in the afternoon. It's not a routine she chose to adopt - but something her brain requires her to do. It all started with a cycling accident.

Her partner Andrew Wilde was halfway up a mountain in the US state of Montana when he received a baffling text from Hannah.

He understood only two words - "dog" and "hospital" - but knew instinctively something was wrong.

The text was in German, a language Hannah had grown up with, but Andrew didn't really understand. They only ever communicated in English.

Rest of article here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-45804613

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Nice story! OK bad accident for the lady but really interesting. Maybe I'd better get cracking on my fourth language then? :) Or wear a helmet? :p

My GF and I speak 4 languages between us - she doesn't speak a word of English and I not a word of Basque, our common languages are French and Spanish. She learnt Basque recently (last 10 years?) because, although it was spoken by her parents, de Gaulle didn't want it taught in school. Franco neither... I taught myself better Spanish than the stuff I learnt in bars using Duolingo (which I strongly recommend as a learning tool). I once was top of class in English and am mostly bi-lingual in French - spoken no problems, written depends on the way the wind is blowing... My written English has taken a big hit since I started thinking in French.

Over to you Woosh - your written English is a bit like my written French :D

Reactions: oyster

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I think that this sort of problem is not all that uncommon, a friend of mine had a stroke, one result of which was that he lost the ability to speak English and could only speak Welsh.
He grew up in Wales in a bi-lingual home, school etc., so both languages were his 'Mother tongue'
After about 6 months, his English began to come back.
It was very trying for his wife who only had a smattering of Welsh.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe I'd better get cracking on my fourth language then? :) Or wear a helmet? :p
I think she was wearing a helmet, they'd no doubt have made capital out of her not wearing one. The article says her only physical injuries were to a shoulder and leg, so the brain injury probably through a helmet contact with the other cyclist she hit, bruising the brain inside the skull.

Either that or polystyrene is more dangerous than we thought. ;)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think she was wearing a helmet, they'd no doubt have made capital out of her not wearing one. The article says her only physical injuries were to a shoulder and leg, so the brain injury probably through a helmet contact with the other cyclist she hit, bruising the brain inside the skull.

Either that or polystyrene is more dangerous than we thought. ;)
Another case of helmet efficiency in action! Brain damage yes, nasty external bruising and bleeding no...

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Head injuries can be funny things - I got into them at school after banging my head on a radiator in the gym when playing handball and got concussed. At the bus stop on the way home I noticed while I could see cars in general I couldn't tell what make each was. Similar thing happened again a few years later after a thump to head and going to a friend's house I could see she had fluffy toy animals but for the life of me I couldn't what type of animal each one was. Each time my whole perception of classification went awry.

Studied Psychology and memory and read Oliver Sacks who wrote marvellous books which delved into both the technical aspects and humanity of people with neurological disorders.

Then I fell off a ladder head or hands first into a flowerbed from 3 stories up thankfully missing a patio, bashing my bonce. For a few days I had short term memory loss and kept asking every 30 minutes or so who was prime minister and asking if my motorcycle was okay (as I thought that was how I'd ended up in hospital with broken wrists.). In the end the staff pinned the answers to my repeated questions to my gown for ready reference. My girlfriend at the time was a junior doctor there at the time and I thought she was only vaguely familiar! I remember bursting into tears at the simultaneous knowing and frustration of what was happening to my memory and not being able to do anything about it. Thankfully my head got better and coincidently a few years later I ended up working on the same ward I'd stayed on as some of the staff recoginsed me as the PIA patient!

These experiences led me to work with a chap who'd had a bad head injury which had profoundly and permanently damaged the language part of his brain leaving him unable to speak or read - he could just about comprehend speech. To fill this gaping void he absorbed himself in music esp classic music and opera particularly Pavaroti.

Hence why I wear a helmet!

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster and Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Another case of helmet efficiency in action! Brain damage yes, nasty external bruising and bleeding no...
Not stirring here
But it’s also amazing how many people wear them incorrectly like not adjusting them properly and I’ve seen people not even doing them or just plainly not fitting properly full stop .

Also there’s a lot more technology in a helmet these days with mips etc but many people ride around with straight polystyrene which is better than nothing but not great compared to newer technology .

But as already said the brain is a funny thing and responds in different ways to impact with or without a lid .

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But it’s also amazing how many people wear them incorrectly like not adjusting them properly and I’ve seen people not even doing them or just plainly not fitting properly full stop .
Kids especially, like the little girl at the front of this photo:
K helmet 1.jpg

Reactions: Fat Rat and oyster

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Are cycling helmets the wrong shape?
The cadets at my sailing club wear some sort of helmet that fits properly and does not perch on top of the head.
Contrast helmets for sailing, snow boarding, horse riding and so on, they all fit around rather than on top of the head.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie and flecc

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
The cadets at my sailing club wear some sort of helmet that fits properly and does not perch on top of the head.
Contrast helmets for sailing, snow boarding, horse riding and so on, they all fit around rather than on top of the head.
Lots of bike helmets also 'fit around' the head.
However if you were to wear one of those on a racing bike, then many people would find:
They overheat
The more severe bend of the neck when looking up from an aero position would mean the back of the helmet hits your neck.
So the question could be be, 'are people buying the wrong helmets for the type of riding they do'.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I wear an “enduro” style helmet which gives a good balance of protections vs overheating

Plus I’m bald so less of an issue !

Not this one but very very similar

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HECAEND/carnac-enduro-mtb-helmet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I am of the opinion ,that it was a very strong marketing opportunity to sell crash helmets back in the day they first appeared, I do not believe most are of any use in an accident, but if the fashionista of cycling think that they do offer protection, all to the good!
By the way I do Not wear one, perchance it will hasten me to my next reincarnation?

• Agree
Reactions: wheeler

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am of the opinion ,that it was a very strong marketing opportunity to sell crash helmets back in the day they first appeared,
Probably true, but the UK cyclists didn't need any selling to, they were willing adopters. At the time of helmets introduction virtually all cycling in the UK was sporting in style, as it still is today, and wearing a helmet fits that image perfectly.

By contrast, in The Netherlands where 99% of Dutch cycling is utility for transport, they didn't start wearing them and still don't.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Probably true, but the UK cyclists didn't need any selling to, they were willing adopters. At the time of helmets introduction virtually all cycling in the UK was sporting in style, as it still is today, and wearing a helmet fits that image perfectly.

By contrast, in The Netherlands where 99% of Dutch cycling is utility for transport, they didn't start wearing them and still don't.
Each to their own

But I’ve had three nasty accidents which were all unpredictable and not remotely my fault

In each case I am 100% convinced that my children still have a dad due to helmet

I find the dead rarely post about how much they wish they'd worn one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But I’ve had three nasty accidents which were all unpredictable
This is where I disagree, they were all predictable possibilities, maybe even probabilities. Clearly your cycling circumstances need you to wear a helmet, mine don't, but we ride on similar roads in the same country.

I find the dead rarely post about how much they wish they'd worn one
Because they largely only exist in helmet proselytisers imagination!

Year after year of around 14 deaths per annum in London, virtually all were wearing helmets, often every one. Over the last decade plus most were crushed to death by heavy vehicles running over their bodies with their heads not involved, the accident frequently their own fault.

And the great majority of the circa 110 deaths per annum nationwide were of cyclists wearing a helmet since they felt their cycling needed one. But obviously wearing one didn't help them where different actions could have done. We all know how inadequate the secondary safety of helmets is as these deaths prove, so clearly the answer is not to have the accident in the first place, primary safety.

Accidents don't just happen, they are caused and it often takes two to cause them.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
This is where I disagree, they were all predictable possibilities, maybe even probabilities. Clearly your cycling circumstances need you to wear a helmet, mine don't, but we ride on similar roads in the same country.
I’m amazed you have managed to live your whole life predicting accidents and never having them
You are truly blessed I mean that sincerely.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I’m amazed you have managed to live your whole life predicting accidents and never having them
You are truly blessed I mean that sincerely.
If only that were true, but sadly it isn't since I have had accidents, but not on two wheels.

In adulthood I've hurt myself three times in accidents at home, two of them head injuries, one of which left me streaming with blood. All three were my fault and avoidable.

I've had two falls while walking in rough country, both times injuring myself with some bleeding. I played a big part in those because both were due to overtiredness due to doing more than was sensible.

And I've had one work accident when I was ejected from a high loading platform onto a hard concrete surface, hitting the back of my skull hard enough to lose all eyesight for a few minutes due to the brain's optical centre being bruised by the impact. That wasn't in any way my fault, but nonetheless was avoidable if I'd made a more sensible prior choice.

Clearly I'm not blessed or I wouldn't have suffered those accidents and injuries.

But in all my years and many miles of cycling and motorcycling I've never hurt myself in any way while obviously not being blessed or anything so mysterious.

The reason dates back to my earliest motorcycling and driving experiences. During that time I had three car accidents, all ruled as the third party's fault. Two were very minor paint scrapes but the third more serious when a driver coming the other way fell asleep and tried to peel the side off my car, spinning it round in the road three times.

Thinking about this later something odd occurred to me. I'd ridden many more miles on motorbikes than driving cars, same routes, same journeys etc., but had never even come close to having any accident. Nor on bicycles.

I realised then that the only different factor was me, maybe knowing how vulnerable I was on two wheels had changed what I did enough to avoid accidents. I won't bore you with all the details, but I acted then to make sure all my road usage was as safe as my motorcycling and cycling and have been accident free since over the bulk of all my road usage years.

As you see from my non-road accidents mentioned earlier, that behaviour only applies to my road usage mode. Clearly I haven't been much good at avoiding other accidents, though I'm increasingly improving that these days since the last thing I want at my age is broken bones.

My lifetime road experiences have demonstrated some things very clearly. First that we have far more control over having road accidents than most realise. Second how important attitude is, as in my knowledge that I play a part in every accident I might have. There is no such thing as being entirely blameless.

Third that we share the roads, with all that the word share implies. Fourth that truly sharing means impeccable good road manners on my part at all times. That others don't always respond accordingly doesn't matter. So long as I do the right thing for the circumstances, the two to make an accident don't exist.

Reactions: Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
My lifetime road experiences have demonstrated some things very clearly. First that we have far more control over having road accidents than most realise. Second how important attitude is, as in my knowledge that I play a part in every accident I might have. There is no such thing as being entirely blameless.
I’ve got to disagree
Not every accident you have on the road has blame on both sides

For example 2 yrs ago I was driving down a street at 15mph in a steady flow of traffic when someone came straight out of a side junction and stoved in my passenger side front door
Where was I at fault there ?
And what could I have done to predict and avoid the accident in question apart from staying at home that day or leaving 30seconds later
Nothing it was 100% out of my hands

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I’ve got to disagree
Not every accident you have on the road has blame on both sides

For example 2 yrs ago I was driving down a street at 15mph in a steady flow of traffic when someone came straight out of a side junction and stoved in my passenger side front door
Where was I at fault there ?
And what could I have done to predict and avoid the accident in question apart from staying at home that day or leaving 30seconds later
Nothing it was 100% out of my hands
I spent some time as a young child in Berlin. One of the things family trotted out ever after was that everyone in the area bore some degree of blame when there was an accident. Not sure now if it was 5 or 10%.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers