Results of cycling accident

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I spent some time as a young child in Berlin. One of the things family trotted out ever after was that everyone in the area bore some degree of blame when there was an accident. Not sure now if it was 5 or 10%.
So for arguments sake where was the blame in my accident
What could I have done differently to avoid that accident
As obviously according to your post I could have ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I’ve got to disagree
Not every accident you have on the road has blame on both sides

For example 2 yrs ago I was driving down a street at 15mph in a steady flow of traffic when someone came straight out of a side junction and stoved in my passenger side front door
Where was I at fault there ?
And what could I have done to predict and avoid the accident in question apart from staying at home that day or leaving 30seconds later
Nothing it was 100% out of my hands
It's all in degrees. The blame is in the sense that there are small components in an accident that one is always involved in.

It's likely that blame is too strong a word, but better we think in that way which promotes caution than just insist we are completely absolved. We almost never are.

I can't comment on the accident you mention since I didn't see it and wasn't involved, but the second of the three early accidents I had was just that while I was driving on a major road. A driver of a Sierra came out of a side road straight into the side of my car, buckling passenger door and sill.

I'm not saying what follows to be awkward, but in all innocence I did play two parts in that. One could have been corrected on the spot, the other only by a different choice long before. Suffice it to say that it's never happened again in nearly fifty years since.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Just what sort of testing do cycling helmets get?
Some, like the Enduro mentioned above seem to give reasonable coverage to the sides of the skull. but others just perch on top of the head and look as though they would be easily wrenched off in an accident.
I have fallen off a bike plenty of times.
Mainly it was my hands and knees that were injured.
The last time I fell off I landed on said hands and knees and then banged my right cheek hard on the road.
A crash helmet of cycling style would not have helped.
Also, no-one is mentioning velocity.
Generally I cycle at 12 mph.

Reactions: oyster

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The UK test was dropping a weight directly onto the top of the helmet, no other areas tested.

The test was to give protection up to 12 mph, no more.

• Informative

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
So there we are then, only any good if you do a complete 180 over your bars. No good for side impact, impact from vehicle going more than 12mph faster than you, or being crushed by a blind sided truck driver(what were you doing there in the first place?). I honestly think if we're going down the compulsory helmet route then elbo,knee and chest armour has to logically come with it. Neck brace anyone?
I'm plus one for the take more responsibility. The universal modern cry of, 'It's not fair' has me gritting my teeth.
Good God I'm officially an old git ! When did that happen? Seems like only yesterday I had waist length hair and flaired jeans. Didn't wear a helmet then either.:eek:;)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
So for arguments sake where was the blame in my accident
What could I have done differently to avoid that accident
As obviously according to your post I could have ?
No - I was not assigning blame to you. Just an observation of another legal system's different view of things.

I believe 100% blame can be apportioned in UK law.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
It's alright for posters to say things like, 'My helmet saved my life.'
But I have strong doubts.
We know that current bike helmets will only save you from a blow directly on the top of your head, and just how many people who fall off bikes land right on the top of their head?
Now, a German Army 'coal scuttle' style helmet will offer side protection, but again it is limited by just how good the strap is.
Most cycling helmets have a pathetically poor strapping arrangement and need to be strapped down very firmly. Something, particularly amongst children, I observe to be ignored.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
About a year ago I was with the family having a stroll in Aberporth. On a nicely tarmacced flat path we came across a proud Dad with his 3 year old son who was on a sort of scoot it bike, it had no pedals. So the kid was kind of running whilst sitting down. He was having a hoot. Needless to say he was wearing a helmet. Now I know young heads are softer but I wonder if they kit him out similarly when he's running around the garden, or on the climbing frame?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
3 year old son who was on a sort of scoot it bike, it had no pedals. So the kid was kind of running whilst sitting down.
They're called Balance Bikes, as you say just at normal walking and running height. But for some reason, perhaps the mention of bike, parents obsessively kit the kids with helmets, often wrongly positioned or strapped.

Balance Bikes link

Of course two hundred years ago these when full size were the original bicycles, called Hobby Horses at the time.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
It's alright for posters to say things like, 'My helmet saved my life.'
But I have strong doubts.
We know that current bike helmets will only save you from a blow directly on the top of your head, and just how many people who fall off bikes land right on the top of their head?
Now, a German Army 'coal scuttle' style helmet will offer side protection, but again it is limited by just how good the strap is.
Most cycling helmets have a pathetically poor strapping arrangement and need to be strapped down very firmly. Something, particularly amongst children, I observe to be ignored.
I agree
But some of the fault is with the lack of helmet in as much as there not big enough or cover the head enough as mentioned
and quite rightly as also mentioned there just not worn correctly
I only wear full face helmets as I feel there’s no point otherwise also I don’t like the dentist :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mike killay

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
A driver of a Sierra came out of a side road straight into the side of my car, buckling passenger door and sill
I don’t see how you can portion any blame on yourself in such an accident
Unless as I said earlier you stayed home or left 30secs later and you count that as blame which it isn’t ,
The Sierra should never have come out of the side road and T boned you end of,
If he/she had paid attention and followed the rules of the road you would have been going along on your merry way with no issues.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don’t see how you can portion any blame on yourself in such an accident
Unless as I said earlier you stayed home or left 30secs later and you count that as blame which it isn’t ,
The Sierra should never have come out of the side road and T boned you end of,
If he/she had paid attention and followed the rules of the road you would have been going along on your merry way with no issues.
That's because you don't know the circumstances of the accident and why I didn't comment on yours. Accident causes are rarely as simple as they might seem and failing to realise that is often why they still occur. As I said before, blame is too strong a word but valuable in the cautionary sense to make us realise we can do more.

Here's what happened with exact details and location:

Winter and commuting home in darkness in the usual heavy London traffic, I was driving up Streatham Common North from Streatham High Road, following a slowish bus. As it was clear on the downhill side I was preparing for an overtake opportunity after the Valley Road junction on the left if one occurred. As such I was fairly close behind the bus and in line with its right side.

Unbeknown to me the Sierra driver was about to arrive at the Valley Road exit on the left to turn right down the hill of Streatham Common North. To the right of me and the bus and what the Sierra driver was facing was the pitch black common. My car was very dark brown.

What happened was that the Sierra driver saw the approaching bus and was planning to nip out just after it passed, not seeing my car behind with its headlights hidden since I was aligned to the right side of the bus and the car colour merged into the inky blackness of the common.

So he checked to his left to ensure the downhill he was to enter was empty and then accelerated fast out past the rear of the bus as it passed, straight into the side of my "invisible" car. Needless to say he was very severely shocked by the impact against something that apparently wasn't there and it took a while for me to get him out of that state.

So although he was to blame for the accident, I had played a part in two ways. The first that in being aligned as I was to the bus it made it impossible for him to see my headlights until the last moment when he had already taken the foot down plunge. Had I left a bigger gap from the bus he would have seen them. The second contribution I made was my very dark car against the black background of the common, not blameworthy but a major contribution all the same. There was a third minor factor noted afterwards, the critical street light opposite the Valley Road exit was out, Lambeth Council to blame.

Today this accident wouldn't happen. First I would be more careful to be seen in my current also dark car. Second, like so many of today's cars it's lighting has some wrapping, LED always on strips at the front sides and some rear light wrap around. Third, front corners sonar sensor plus intelligent camera and radar with automatic braking quicker than a human can operate, and fourth, the now commonplace high intensity street lighting.

But importantly as you see, I've headed that list with what I can do, taking responsibility for that. That open mind is my start point, I/we can always do more to prevent accidents in the first place. Primary safety, not having the accident, just needs thought.

Google map link to scene

Last edited:

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Mine was a lot simpler and pretty much as I explained but it was a normal lit day and 3pm and I wasn’t hidden behind a bus in my silver car

I understand your outlook on yours and your circumstances leading up to the unfortunate incident
I appreciate the in-depth reply also .

Reactions: flecc and oyster

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • Agree
Reactions: D C and flecc

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I prefer not to wear one, and would be against legislation that forced everyone to wear one like Australia.

In the country where more people ride a bike than anywhere else, Holland, people agree with me and don't wear one.

However I think I am now in the minority in the UK where most other cyclist I see are now wearing them.

There is a fierce debate about how useful your standard cycle helmet is with some evidence suggesting that they offer very little protection against serious head injuries.

Some also suggest that car drivers pass cyclists wearing helmets closer than those without, and that cyclists who wear helmets take more risks than those without.

I am not sure about those arguments and would hope a cycle helmet would offer you a bit more protection than not wearing one, however I just prefer not to.

There is also evidence that in Australia when wearing a helmet was made compulsory a significant number of people stopped riding their bikes and many others were put off starting.

The number of cyclist was so reduced by the compulsory helmet law that it was theorized that more people would have stayed alive longer if it had not been introduced due to the health benefit of riding a bike that was being missed out on by the people that were put off in comparison to those that might have been saved by their helmets.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

My wife now makes me wear a helmet when I go skiing and I believe most ski travel insurance policies require you to wear one.

If I suddenly decided to buy a long travel suspension down hill bike and throw myself at speed down as many challenging descents as I could find I would probably get myself a whole set of armour including a helmet.

Perhaps I am just an old hippy and the world has just changed around me!

Food for debate!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
However I think I am now in the minority in the UK where most other cyclist I see are now wearing them.
Maybe because they are more noticeable. Here in London TfL did as survey a few years ago which showed 27% wearing helmets. There's various data since showing a lot of growth in that, mainly due to cycle commuting growth, so it's probably well over 50% now.

There's big differences for different groups though. Women are the most likely to wear one, children the least likely. Sport cyclists almost always, utility cyclists often not.

Circumstances too, the wearing is highest on major roads and lowest on minor roads, which may indicate people don't bother when cycling locally.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Many of the cycling deaths do appear to be of such severity that the helmet is irrelevant - classics being the HGV entanglement type of incident.

But I do feel slightly better wearing one when I consider some of the possible issues I might encounter. It does depend on exactly what I am doing though.

I am very sceptical about behaviour compensation theories. I have seen some where the claim is that something like wearing seatbelts precisely counters the enhanced protection of the measure. People might feel safer with seatbelts or helmets, they might modify their behaviour, but the two effects seem unlikely to balance with any exactness.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am very sceptical about behaviour compensation theories. I have seen some where the claim is that something like wearing seatbelts precisely counters the enhanced protection of the measure. People might feel safer with seatbelts or helmets, they might modify their behaviour, but the two effects seem unlikely to balance with any exactness.
One data collection showed 71% of cyclist head injury arrivals at A & Es were wearing helmets, far higher than the proportion of cyclists that wear them. That at least indicates riskier forms of riding by the helmet wearers.

And two years after the seat belt compulsion in the UK, the government's own Roads Research Laboratory showed no saving of lives. In a similar vein, a big increase in the number of GATSO speed camera installations was followed by a marked increase in deaths, to government's great embarrassment.

In road safety, outcomes are often not what seems obvious.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
One data collection showed 71% of cyclist head injury arrivals at A & Es were wearing helmets, far higher than the proportion of cyclists that wear them. That at least indicates riskier forms of riding by the helmet wearers.

And two years after the seat belt compulsion in the UK, the government's own Roads Research Laboratory showed no saving of lives. In a similar vein, a big increase in the number of GATSO speed camera installations was followed by a marked increase in deaths, to government's great embarrassment.

In road safety, outcomes are often not what seems obvious.
As a bald statistic, that could mean riders indulging in behaviour more likely to cause a head injury are more likely to wear helmets.

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat and flecc

Advertisers