HELP!!...Same Old Question!

ian culvers

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 16, 2018
Hi Everyone,
Newbie to the site so be gentle!
I have the same question that must be asked so many times on this site, however you all seen to know your stuff so here goes again.

Best e-bike for a budget of £1200???

I have had a Carrera Crossfire e-bike for the last 18 months and the Crank Torque Sensor has just gone, Good ol' Halfords have told me that this particular part is only covered for 1 year not 2 like the rest of the bike!! and to really rub salt into the wound, they've told me that they have been waiting two months for the same part for someone else in the shop!!!

So wishing to avoid Halfords at all costs now, I need some valued help in picking my next e-bike ASAP as my knees are shot riding my old pedal cube!!
15 stone,14 miles round daily commute, mainly on roads and through a bumpy town centre and quite a steep hill.
Any advice will be much appreciated
Cheers
ian.c

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
The Electric Bicycle Company is 8 miles away Location details.
They have a good range of reputable brands to try...

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Hi Ian, do not be fobbed off by Halfrauds the Crossfire is not suitable for purpose,there are numerous threads documenting this on the site I suggest you read them and then go back too Halfrauds and kick up a fuss and demand a refund, Also I was under the belief the electric system which the crank torque sensor is part of was under a two year warranty. Good luck Steve W....

Stradaman

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2018
North West
Halfords are taking the Pee. Hope you manage to get your money back.

if you can stretch your budget an extra £300 or so theres some great bikes to be had at the moment including this one.

https://www.jejamescycles.com/raleigh-strada-e-electric-city-bike.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImouIo5uO3gIV1_ZRCh1HOQXyEAQYBSABEgIxdPD_BwE

Good bike and an absolute steal at that price! and as someone on here pointed out to me on here yesterday, might be worth waiting for Black Friday (23rd November) see what deals pop up.

ian culvers

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 16, 2018
Thanks for all you help on this, I’ve taken the plunge and gone for the Cube Cross Hybrid One 500... one more question... it comes with Schwalbe Fat Sam Actives, I’ve always gone for the Marathon plus and want to change them.... the size on the bike spec says tire size is 44x622.. will a 700 x 35c fit?? the only others I can find are 700x 47 and I think that will be too big... sorry if this is a dumb question but I don’t want to order them only to find they won’t fit!!

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Thanks for all you help on this, I’ve taken the plunge and gone for the Cube Cross Hybrid One 500... one more question... it comes with Schwalbe Fat Sam Actives, I’ve always gone for the Marathon plus and want to change them.... the size on the bike spec says tire size is 44x622.. will a 700 x 35c fit?? the only others I can find are 700x 47 and I think that will be too big... sorry if this is a dumb question but I don’t want to order them only to find they won’t fit!!
The Cube has 27.5" (622) rims, won't take a 28/29" (700) tyre. If the Smart Sams have TLE or TE on them then you can set them up as tubeless which will give good puncture protection.

For alternative road tyres to Marathon Plus try Almotion, more grip on seal in wet, quiet better rolling, when run tubeless probably better puncture protection than Plus. If mudguards have decent clearance go for 2.0 x 27.5, when run at lower pressures eg 40psi should help smooth out rough surfaces