holy **

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
had a look at thee rear rim today only to find the same only no where near as bad but it was eating away the paint work under the valve also.
DSC_0196_02.JPG

if you look you can see 2 tiny cracks top and bottom.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It'll all be worth it in the end ;)
i got all the receipts out for the stuff i have bought since i bought the bike in 2014 to see how much i have spent on it to date.
DSC_0197_02.JPG
DSC_0198_02.JPG
£3.194.79
with the bike what the original owner paid the total is £7.974.00.:eek:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0206_02.JPG

one down one to go it was full of air and the fluid gone a light brown color so needed doing ;)

it took longer to get the bubbles out the syringes than bleed the brake lol.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
i got all the receipts out for the stuff i have bought since i bought the bike in 2014 to see how much i have spent on it to date.
View attachment 27327
View attachment 27328
£3.194.79
with the bike what the original owner paid the total is £7.974.00.:eek:
Not bad going for the punishment you give it and all the stuff you've bought for it. Works out that you have only spent around £16 per week on your bike.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and its even better than it was new :D tho b4 i had this bike i did not know how to service anything.

must have saved a fair whack doing it my self then the lbs ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
same again for the front :rolleyes:

DSC_0207_02.JPG
just need to bleed it and can rocknroll :D

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I did not really consider that my crank drive mountain bike would save me money by replacing car journey's on my ride to work and back but was more interested in the ability of the bike off road, the exercise I would get and most importantly the fun!

However two return trips saves a gallon of fuel and wear and tear on the car so that is a real saving.

Though as I have found out they do chomp through chains, cassettes, chainrings , brake pads, tyres and other bits and bobs and are not as cheap to run as I had thought when I got it. Fun fun fun and great exercise though. I have also destroyed two rear mech's and a rear wheel, fun though!

I am up to 10.166 miles now, all be it not without solving the odd issue along the way but the ability to ride a proper in places demanding off road route to work makes it worth it and fantastic fun.

£1750 for basic bike back in 2015. Original battery still working well although I had to replace the connectors on my charger and battery myself ( less than £10 for new connectors of ebay) to avoid having to buy replacements. I also had a new motor fitted by my bike shop after 6000 miles free of charge under warranty when the bearings on the first motor developed play.

Last edited:

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Not bad Soundwave for £16 per day. Gotta bleed the breaks on the Canyon at the weekend, but now you've nattered about the colour of the fluid I may just do the Haibike as well.
I take it all is working well now ?
Georgehenry, I've started to use my bike to go to work as well, sometimes I wonder if I should just sell the car, but then I wouldn't be able to take the grandkids out.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i never bleed the brakes since i had the bike so well over due at 4 years lol and yes all working like new.

tho i did do each brake twice as just had enough fluid to do it just in case as not recommended to keep dot fluid once opened.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Never bled the Canyons, but did the Haibikes last year.
We have also learnt how to do things as we've gone along, albeit Hubby does do most of it.
I'm gonna send the Canyons in for a full service to our well loved bike shop, as we'll be too busy now (both of us are nurses and the shifts are murderous). Sometimes I need a professional eye on things.
Maybe I'll wait until they've gone in to bleed them.
Took the 2 grandkids to Llandegla last week, mixed bag, both boys, but the eldest isn't too interested (8 year old) the youngest enjoyed it very much (5 year old). Only did the green route, but hey it's a start. Was nice to ride with my eldest Son though and he used one of the Haibikes.....thing he'll be asking to use it again pretty soon ;):)

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
I take it those are zip ties you're using to hold in the piston ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
lbs charges 18 quid per avid brake so 36 quid and alot more dealing with the stuck pistons.

hole bleed kit cost 13 quid and yes used cable ties and some old pads to free the stuck pistons just a pita as 4 in each one.

only other option was to take them apart but you need a air comp to get the pistons out n not got one.

tho imo the new pump could do the same job with a ball adaptor ;)

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Maybe you should give it a try.
How's it ll going now that they are all repaired.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0222_02.JPG
Maybe you should give it a try.
How's it ll going now that they are all repaired.
its not broke yet! lol just need to swap out the rear pads for the finned ones.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
I could do with finned ones on my Canyon, but will get them when I need some new ones.
Ironically I have finned ones on the haibike with the zee's, they sent the wrong ones !!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I could do with finned ones on my Canyon, but will get them when I need some new ones.
Ironically I have finned ones on the haibike with the zee's, they sent the wrong ones !!!
might have to dump them tbh as they rattle and that drives me nuts noise wise :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Worth a try though, albeit something rattling on our precious steeds never bades well

Related Articles

Advertisers