Brexit, for once some facts.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Why are Grease-Smug and the rest of the hardest-possible 'Brexit' brigade so desperate to undermine May and the soft-'Brexit' sop-mongers by attempting to force a situation whereby the UK crashes out of the EU with no deal?

As has been reprised many times in these pages, the EU Anti Tax Avoidance Directive becomes law in all EU states in January 2019. Quite simply, everybody from huge global corporations down to individuals attempting to avoid or evade their tax liability utilising tax havens will be in breach of an important new law.

A number of exceedingly wealthy UK subject are reckoned to have so much squirrelled away in that manner that it may even run into billions collectively.

Looking at a back-issue of 'The New European', they made mention of the situation last August. Their article is here:

is-the-anti-tax-avoidance-directive-the-reason-the-rich-want-out-of-eu-1-5669763

Tom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Why are Grease-Smug and the rest of the hardest-possible 'Brexit' brigade so desperate to undermine May and the soft-'Brexit' sop-mongers by attempting to force a situation whereby the UK crashes out of the EU with no deal?

As has been reprised many times in these pages, the EU Anti Tax Avoidance Directive becomes law in all EU states in January 2019. Quite simply, everybody from huge global corporations down to individuals attempting to avoid or evade their tax liability utilising tax havens will be in breach of an important new law.
it could be that they have personally a stake in EU laws but I think it's more likely that it's just the traditional jostling for the top job.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The head of the PSNI has spoken about the difficulty in policing should 'Brexit' proceed:

A Dogs in the Street guide to Brexit and the Irish Border
The head of the Police Service of Northern Ireland has been requesting information on Brexit for months but has received only vague ‘stuff and nonsense’ from the May Government.

Without firm facts on what will happen on the Border once Brexit happens in March the police in Northern Ireland cannot plan or allocate resources on the only land border in the UK, resources Northern Ireland doesn’t have in the first place. The Chief Constable George Hamilton has been warning of the real consequences of playing politics in London that can translate to violence, murder and death in Northern Ireland. As he said “There’s a feeling that as regards the Troubles and the conflict, Northern Ireland is sorted and we don’t need to worry about it, when actually we’re working flat out 24/7 to keep a lid on it.”

The Chief Constable and the ‘dogs in the street’ here in Ulster know that if a customs union is not negotiated or the much hyped ‘Backstop’ option fails then there will need to be physical customs checkpoints on a 300 mile border that could not be properly policed even with thousands of British Troops in support of the police during the ‘Troubles.’

Those checkpoints will be the focus of terrorists wherever they are in Northern Ireland as will those customs officers who staff them. Any talk of technology being the answer is simply wrong as any cameras, drones or any other devices will be targeted first drawing in the Police to protect them and then the British Army to support the police. The whole nightmare of the cycle of violence will begin again. The local Unionist party the DUP were part of the Brexit campaign and used ‘dark money’ to fund large newspaper adverts in the UK supporting Brexit and it appears they believe this will lead to a ‘hardened’ border and therefore an end to the Good Friday Agreement(s.)

Unfortunately for them their influence will only last as long as the May Government needs them to prop up their Westminster minority regime. When that regime falls then the DUP will find themselves without a friend in the EU, UK or Republic of Ireland and partly responsible for destabilising the Irish Border rather than strengthening it. As Churchill once said “As the deluge subsides and the waters fall short, we see the dreary steeples of Fermanagh and Tyrone emerging once again. The integrity of their quarrel is one of the few institutions that have been unaltered in the cataclysm which has swept the world.”

Anyone want to condemn his view?

Tom
Rather outspoken for a police officer. But I do find his views compelling. What is not helping of course is the absence of any assembly in NI. In a recent visit, to Belfast, aabd I am now visiting weekly, I saw in the city centre a large graffiti notice to the effect that people without voices will not be silenced forever.
What is also disturbing, would be a slight romancing of the "Troubles" and of IRA and even UVF membership.. see YOUTUBE and QUORA ,as youngsters who were far to young are picking up on the romance of the era. They would see it in the terms of the Wild West or maybe those commando picture books of the 1960s.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Rather outspoken for a police officer. But I do find his views compelling. What is not helping of course is the absence of any assembly in NI. In a recent visit, to Belfast, aabd I am now visiting weekly, I saw in the city centre a large graffiti notice to the effect that people without voices will not be silenced forever.
What is also disturbing, would be a slight romancing of the "Troubles" and of IRA and even UVF membership.. see YOUTUBE and QUORA ,as youngsters who were far to young are picking up on the romance of the era. They would see it in the terms of the Wild West or maybe those commando picture books of the 1960s.
I think he may be a little worried about the safety of his men and has just pulled the fire alarm to get the message through. I'm sure he has tried other more conventional methods first...

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The trouble with proportional representation is, if the vote was 52% and 48%
some people would not be happy and would want a re-run:D:D
PR always brings that sort of close result in the first selections, but once the second preferences are included and with coalitions of the closest parties, working governments result. The European mainland countries have long shown this.

We need PR, but our outdated electoral system always blocks what we most need.

Reactions: robdon

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm sure he has tried other more conventional methods first...
'More conventional methods such as……going through channels as in reporting in writing to his manager, (can't be a police officer) so the Policing Board of Northern Ireland? They'd pass the buck but there is no NI Assembly right now…..Mmmm! So, let's see; shall we try the Westminster Home Sec?…..I'd think it's a pretty short chain of command from there up with guess who at the top?

His next step on receiving no response is to check he has followed protocol….Mmm, think we've covered that already…..so what's left?

Talks to wall for a lengthy period then bangs his head on said wall before deciding to go public. Fair enough; he has then at least covered his own back-side.

George Hamilton was the name of the last head of PSNI that I can remember so I guess he in the incumbent at this time?

Tom

Reactions: oyster and robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Geri Halliwell had 4 number ones and sold 15m records when she went solo.
As of January 2010, the Spice Girls had sold more 85 million records worldwide
She would have done better to "Remain" and they, and she, would have sold a lot more

Where is she and they, now?
Not a wise move by any standard was it?
Simply self destructive through ambition an over confidence, so they all lost.

There must be a lesson in there somewhere
Did you miss it ?:cool:

Reactions: robdon and oyster

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
As of January 2010, the Spice Girls had sold more 85 million records worldwide
She would have done better to "Remain" and they, and she, would have sold a lot more

Where is she and they, now?
Not a wise move by any standard was it?
Simply self destructive through ambition an over confidence, so they all lost.

There must be a lesson in there somewhere
Did you miss it ?:cool:
And Victoria Beckham made more money than all of them, Did you miss that:)

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Our great ally in the middle east, Saudi Arabia, is under severe diplomatic pressure now following the discovery in Istanbul of the remains of Jamal Khashoggi, if SKY News reports are to be believed.

Very little pressure seems to have been exerted by the UK and the US governments but fair play on this occasion to Turkish President, Recep Erdogan who seems more than a little put out by the Saudis' behaviour in his country. The Turkish authorities have been busy assembling evidence in this case and passing the information on to other nations.

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-sources-jamal-khashoggis-body-parts-found-11533202

Tom

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Those who have read my posts/responses might realise that I am very involved in matters of the thyroid. I have seen the profound effects of insufficient thyroid hormone far too close to let use of the word "cretin" as a general insult pass un-noticed.

Stepfather of boy with EU flag tells ex-Tory MP to apologise for 'cretin' jibe

Stewart Jackson urged also to say sorry for ‘tone of political debate’

Jessica Elgot

Stewart Jackson was a senior adviser to David Davis when the latter was Brexit secretary. Photograph: Steve Back/Getty Images

The stepfather of a boy in hospital has called for David Davis’s former chief of staff to apologise for calling him a “pathetic cretin” in response to a tweet of the child’s EU flag bedcover.

Anthony Hobley said he was stunned to see the tweet from Stewart Jackson, a former Tory MP who became Davis’s top adviser when he was Brexit secretary.

He said Jackson should apologise “to my family and for the tone of political debate” in the country. “I don’t believe people honestly worried about the future of our country should be subject to trolling by senior political figures, especially not when it involves children,” he said.

Hobley said he had tweeted the picture of his 11-year-old stepson, who was in Great Ormond Street hospital recovering from an operation and had been upset to miss the People’s Vote march in London.

On Monday night, Jackson replied: “What a pathetic cretin.” The tweet drew widespread condemnation, including from Brexit-supporting MPs, coming on a day when Theresa May warned MPs not to use violent or offensive language as passions run high.

Hobley said his stepson had dislocated his collarbone playing football and was given a slot for his operation on Friday, having planned to go with his family to the People’s Vote march.

Anthony Hobley (@arhobley)
My stepson had an operation yesterday @GreatOrmondSt. He’s incredibly brave but gutted he can’t be at the #PeoplesVoteMarch today with his brothers & sisters. You can see he’ll be there in spirit & his brothers are saluting him with a dab! #PeoplesVote #peoplesvotemarch pic.twitter.com/lYoiREnBjH

October 20, 2018

“We stopped off at Great Ormond Street hospital on the day to see him and his mother,” Hobley said. “We gave him his own flag so he could feel part of it, he was still really disappointed. The tweet was intended as a sweet gesture to make him feel involved.”

Hobley said most of the comments were “really nice”, though he had blocked some “extreme” remarks. He had not heard of Jackson until he saw his response to the tweet, which he said was “schoolyard abuse”.

“I was surprised to find out he is former Conservative MP and adviser to David Davis when he was running the UK’s Brexit negotiations,” he said. “Comments like these from senior people in political life set the tone of political debate in our country and I believe harm politics in our country.”

Hobley said the People’s Vote march on Saturday, which organisers said was attended by up to 700,000 people, was “a great family day out … hundreds of thousands families with their children marched peacefully through London calling for a people’s vote with no disturbances and no arrests”.

Jackson deleted his tweet on Monday night and told Politico: “I think it’s awful that people with extreme views on remain like this parent should invade a sick child’s privacy to make a political point.”

And more...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/23/former-tory-mp-stewart-jackson-urged-to-apologise-for-cretin-jibe-at-boy-with-eu-flag

I think it is awful that politicians are so ignorant and offensive they use such words in such circumstances and then he effectively blames the parents for his uncouthness.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And Victoria Beckham made more money than all of them, Did you miss that:)
Not at all, amazing that people are mugs enough to throw money after the most unlikely people who make outrageous claims over their achievements ,for example
"
‘She didn’t design the car': Victoria Beckham attacked over her claim that she 'designed' a Range Rover 'for husband David' by the man who really DID create it
  • Land Rover boss accused Beckham of exaggerating her role in design
  • The £80,000 car featured matt paintwork and vintage-inspired leather seats
  • But Mrs Beckham has claimed she had a 'hands-on' role in the design
Imagine how much she made out of that fiction!
The woman is a phony as the Claims for Brexit:

What is amazing that so many people fell for them, too!
And still haven't seen the error of that decision.

Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Advertisers