£2,000 toy fund - but what to spend it on ?

MS666

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2013
Hi Everyone,

Long term “guest” first time poster!

Bit of background – I’ve worked in the motor industry for 40 or so years and have a real passion for cars, technology, gadgets ...much to my wife’s dismay! Couple that with a love of real ale and a hearty meal and you’ve got the recipe for a slightly out of shape chap from Sunderland:)

I’ve always fancied a electric bike after trying a friends (think it was a wisper) a couple of years ago, but this year i’ve decided to commit to one! I’ve given myself a budget of about £2000 to find something nice. i’ve got an eye for quality so if the right bike comes along then I’m happy to squeeze the credit card a little more.

I’m looking for a traditional style bike, not a dutch style or step through or folder. I wont be going off road on it, mostly roads but with a mix of some bridalways. I’m also not a big fan of crank drives, not that ive tried one but i think they look ugly, but then each to their own;-)

I’m open to suggestions and would love to know what you think i should be looking at :)

Thanks in advance

Mike

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Cue Storck Raddar bunfight ? (ducks in anticipation ....)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi Everyone,

Bit of background – I’ve worked in the motor industry for 40 or so years and have a real passion for cars, technology, gadgets ...much to my wife’s dismay! Couple that with a love of real ale and a hearty meal and you’ve got the recipe for a slightly out of shape chap from Sunderland:)

I’ve always fancied a electric bike after trying a friends (think it was a wisper) a couple of years ago, but this year i’ve decided to commit to one! I’ve given myself a budget of about £2000 to find something nice. i’ve got an eye for quality so if the right bike comes along then I’m happy to squeeze the credit card a little more.

I’m looking for a traditional style bike, not a dutch style or step through or folder. I wont be going off road on it, mostly roads but with a mix of some bridalways. I’m also not a big fan of crank drives, not that ive tried one but i think they look ugly, but then each to their own;-)

I’m open to suggestions and would love to know what you think i should be looking at :)

Thanks in advance

Mike
Mike,the current type of crank drive coming in from Asia doesn't have the bulbous lump underhanging the frame,which I also think looks ugly.
When you say a traditional looking bike do you mean tourer style or mountain bike style?
Dave
Kudoscycles

Storcker

Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2012
Cue Storck Raddar bunfight ? (ducks in anticipation ....)
No, with a £2k budget unless he really wants a Storck, and to stretch his budget, He ought to look at the BH Emotion Neo Cross as a hub drive. If he can overcome his dislike of a crank drive drive the Kalkhoff C8 Agattu is a nice allround bike.
It's all down to personal taste I know but bikes from Wisper/Woosh/Kudos and similar just do nothing for me from the styling point of view preventing me from even considering them even though the latest Woosh bikes look a bargain.

Jez

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 23, 2012
South Hampshire
Hi Mike, I'm really happy with my Haibike 29er, just changed the offroad tyres for Big Apple plus and it goes like a dream. Take a look at the KTM Macini Cross, £1900 gets you a nice looking bike with the added plus of a 400w battery.
Jez.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
KTM have a bike powered by a panasonic hub motor. They should be arriving with us in late March. Key thing is to try a range of different bikes. There are some nice looking crank drives so I would not rules them out until you have tried one. Some people prefer the ride of hub powered bike and some the crank drive it is very mucb personal choice. Wisper's new German made bikes will be coming out in March so they could be worth a try as well.

Happy ebike hunting!

D

Deleted member 4366

There's too many different bikes to choose from with that budget. You need to give additional info to find one that suits you, otherwise all you'll get is people shouting their favourites at you, or the ones that they'll make most profit on selling you.
How heavy are you and do you have hills to climb?
How fast do you want power for - 15mph legal or faster?
How far do you want to go.?
Do you want a comfortable bike?
How hard do you want to pedal?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Try before to buy Mike!

P1014143 Cropped 300KB.jpg

here is a good selection offered by the E4 group, Douglas is modeling the new German built Wisper 905Classic. Our new bikes will on our web pages by the end of next week.

All the best and welcome to Pedelecs!

David

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Try before to buy Mike!

View attachment 5067

here is a good selection offered by the E4 group, Douglas is modeling the new German built Wisper 905Classic. Our new bikes will on our web pages by the end of next week.

All the best and welcome to Pedelecs!

David
That Classic looks a lot like a Woosh Scirocco to me.

(Joke, David - don't want to start that again.)

Serious question, does it have 26" wheels?

I tried the previous one with 28" wheels and it was too tall for my little legs - both the saddle and in particular, the crossbar were too high.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance

Mike
OK Mike - well the link below is German ebay and I went on advanced search and figured out how to make it return only items that they will ship to the UK (which seeing as I dont speak any German I thought was pretty darn clever of me).

Enjoy

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance

Mike
Hi Mike
We'd struggle to use that budget but you really ought to look at our Merlin which, even after you've chosen the 60 mile battery still gives you change from £1600. Add some panniers and a decent bike rack and you'd still have something left from your budget...

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Rob, thanks for the joke! It made my afternoon! ;)

The 905Classic is based very much on our 906sel from last year, it is a smaller bike than the huge 905Alpino! At 5'7" on a good day, I find the bike very comfortable with the seat post extended about 6 inches.

The new Wispers will be in our dealers shops in mid March, do try one, I am sure you will appreciate the quality of the build. The Germans really do know how to put together a solid bike!

MLW_6566 500kb.jpg

Sorry about the image quality, but you get a lot of quality bike for £1,799.00!

All the best

David

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I had to look twice, looks like a copy of the Woosh sirroco 2 (lol) except for the price:cool:

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi Rob, thanks for the joke! It made my afternoon! ;)

The 905Classic is based very much on our 906sel from last year, it is a smaller bike than the huge 905Alpino! At 5'7" on a good day, I find the bike very comfortable with the seat post extended about 6 inches.

The new Wispers will be in our dealers shops in mid March, do try one, I am sure you will appreciate the quality of the build. The Germans really do know how to put together a solid bike!

View attachment 5068

Sorry about the image quality, but you get a lot of quality bike for £1,799.00!

All the best

David
Thanks David.

I think it was an Albino I tried - it was white (another joke, this time non-pc).

As you say, a big bike.

I stand about 5' 11', but my 29" inside leg made the Alpino a non-starter.

The new model - even from the single pic - looks to be a quality product.

Which it needs to be, because you are up against the likes of Kalkhoff at that money.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Rob yes it is a very high quality bike and although it was expensive, the new motor set up is amazing. This is the best hill climber we have built and with the inclusion of all the new European components such as wheels and spokes the bike rides beautifully.

The Kalkoff is a superb bike, and the Wisper 906Classic certainly matches it's quality. They are simply different bikes and both need to be tried as they suit different riding styles.

What was I thinking calling a white bike an Alpino? :eek:

I too have a 29' inside leg, so I can guarantee, the bike will fit you comfortably.

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Jazper, I am in Brighton tomorrow, taking my Daughter out for something to eat (she's at University of Sussex). Do you have any suggestions for a good pub lunch?

Many thanks!

David :)

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Hi Jazper, I am in Brighton tomorrow, taking my Daughter out for something to eat (she's at University of Sussex). Do you have any suggestions for a good pub lunch?

Many thanks!

David :)
I recommend The Brunswick

1 Holland Rd Brighton and Hove Hove BN3 1JF‎
I rarely eat at gastro type pubs but the above is highly regarded,100yds from the seafront

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Jazper, we will give it a try. I am looking forward to a stroll (however bracing!) along the seafront, so to end up in a good eatery would be perfect.

All the best

David