£2500 to spend - what would you choose?

mercman696

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 28, 2007
I have had a windfall and a new ebike is on the list. Currently have an Ezee Torq that has been wonderful but times move on.

Lots of helpful advice here on the forum but a few words on your own choice for this spend and why would be very helpful.

Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The personal preferences aspect is very important with e-bikes, and at that spend level I'd say even more so. The important thing is to try various bikes to see how they suit you, not how they suit others, and you should be prepared to travel and spend a little to do that if necessary.

I'd say try a high end crank drive bike such as a Bosch powered one like a Haibike (in short supply though), plus geared hub motor models from one or two upper end makes like Wisper and Oxygen, and a good direct-drive hub-motor bike like a Storck or a BionX powered make like Trek.

The three types are very different in character and at present you only have experience with the second in an older model so you may be in for a surprise. If you don't try, you'll never know of course.

Last edited:

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Totally agree with Flecc's post above
In addition to this I would add, be clear on what you want the bike to do - ie for leisure, commuting in all weathers, on road or cycle path or through the muddy stuff - as this should have a bearing on whether you go for a more on or off road, sports or comfort orientated model, etc
Good luck and happy hunting

C

Cyclezee

I have had a windfall and a new ebike is on the list. Currently have an Ezee Torq that has been wonderful but times move on.

Lots of helpful advice here on the forum but a few words on your own choice for this spend and why would be very helpful.

Thanks
Buy the latest Torq, Forza or Sprint and have some change;)

eZee Torq MkIII - electric bikes and conversion kits, eZee Forza MkII - electric bikes and conversion kits, http://www.cyclezee.com/ezee-sprint-8.html:cool:

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com

Thanks
Two Juicy bikes, two spare batteries and a set of wicker baskets? Spend the change on riotous buying of coffee and cakes?

mercman696

Jun 28, 2007
thanks for the advice - I see there is a deal at 50cycles for the 2012 Pro Connect S10 with the long range battery 18ah at £1950. This is the panasonic version. The much praised new bosch motor version is £300 more and has a battery thats half the size (8ah). Surely the bosch isn't worth that extra premium and half the range?
Comments?
Thanks.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I see there is a deal at 50cycles for the 2012 Pro Connect S10 with the long range battery 18ah at £1950. This is the panasonic version. The much praised new bosch motor version is £300 more and has a battery thats half the size (8ah). Surely the bosch isn't worth that extra premium and half the range?
Comments?
Thanks.
Having visited their Loughborough shop very recently, I'd say the Panasonic-powered PC is great value. The Bosch-powered model has the 350W motor, therefore illegal for road use but that aside, you would probably struggle to better 20 miles from the battery with that motor. The smaller, legal motor example which I don't think they have in stock would provide better mileage as Eddieo has mentioned previously from reports in the German Pedelecs forum.

The Panasonic model is the older 26V system but is equally illegal, sporting a 300W motor. It, however, would possibly give a bit more mileage.

They are both nice bikes in my view but I'd prefer one of their legally compliant models which produce sufficient power for most people.

Indalo

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think you need to try them...Odd that you seem so sure that Bosch not worth it, when its the biggest development in e bike technology........ I can assure you they are very good. light, normal wheelbase and cutting edge in style..If you like Dutch barge style bikes fair enough!lol. 40 leading manufacturers now use the system, with over 200 different models

Be careful re 50 cycles as they only stock the illegal 350 watt model.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Bosch powered bikes have been in short supply as demand so high in Europe. But there are models available in the UK

Scott
Cannondale
KTM
Haibike
AVE
BH Emotion

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Bosch powered bikes have been in short supply as demand so high in Europe. But there are models available in the UK

Scott
Cannondale
KTM
Haibike
AVE
BH Emotion
Scott: Yes, but limited range of frame styles.

Cannondale: Yep, as above.

KTM: Yes, but 'tasters' only until 2013, excellent spec and build quality.

Haibike: Built to order, but worth the wait for such high spec machines.

AVE: Versatile frame styles, not readily available in UK.

BH Emotion: Oh yes! Large stocks of various formats all held in a central UK distribution wharehouse for immediate delivery to approved UK retailers. Attractive machines using Samsung hub-drives, Bosch center drives, 36 volt Panasonic center drives and a rather cute Panasonic center driven folder.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
For me a Scott with the bosch drive would be about my ultimate ebike. This one looks a good deal:

I'm not sure about "ultimate" ebike as there are other bike styles I like and I don't think one ebike can encapsulate all the features I want on a bike.

That said, these Scott bikes with Bosch drive have come up a few times on the forum, usually having been advertised on ebay. You're right though; they are great value for money and the component list isn't too shabby. I don't think many people would say no to having one of those in the shed. Good choice!

Indalo

alfazzr

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
I'd spend the first £1900 on horses, hookers and booze then squander the rest on a Kudos Sport !!

Sorry, someone had to say it !!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
One I meant to add to list is the Corratec range...

need to be careful with the BH emotion as they can use cheaper components..so wise to compare like for like carefully

my pick is the KTM 29'er with 11 speed alfina (approx £2000 imported)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I'd spend the first £1900 on horses, hookers and booze then squander the rest on a Kudos Sport !!

Sorry, someone had to say it !!
These bikes in a different league.....try some

Its like recommending to someone thinking of getting a mini copper S to buy a nissan micra instead....Both get you from A to B but a different experience;)

Last edited:

n0ct0

May 17, 2012
North Yorks Moors(ish)
Depends where you live and what bike shops are nearby. I'd be out and give some bikes a try for that kind of money. I was lucky enough to live near Cycle Heaven in York who do Gazelle bikes, which kind of influenced my choice! :D Although I was also in London recently and could have tried some Kalkhoff Agattu bikes if I hadn't already decided on the Gazelles.

alfazzr

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
I was trying some humour in George Best style (or was it one of the Marx borthers? Yes, Karl I think!)

Out of academic interst though, is the KTM29'er electric ? I had a look at their website, as it was a new one to me (out of my league), and it is not in their list of e-bikes.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
No its been around a while. and its the Macina Race 26 or 29 inch wheels, just under 19kg

Macina Race 29/26

tonyishuk

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2011
I dont have any problems recommending a Freego Eagle. Brought two last year and very pleased with them.

Good warranty and backup spares service, and try before you buy.

Rgds