£3K to spend, what would you recommend?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What do you mean by direct drive - crank/rear hub?
Wheel hub motors come in two forms. The majority are internally reduction geared to drive the wheel, but on some the motor runs at wheel speed so drives the wheel directly. That means a very slow running motor which for a given power is not quite as suited for hill climbing, though some makes have a switched high power mode to help with that. The main advantages of direct drive are simplicity, long life and silence in operation.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
So could what I'm looking for be a Rohloff equipped high battery capacity bike?
Possibly, but I rarely need to change gear on my ebike, and I expect you will find the same.

Depends on terrain of course, but my cruising gear - fourth out of six - is good for nippy starts from rest and all but the steepest hills.

The Rohloff hub is seen as the bees knees for a quality road bike, but I think would be wasted on an ebike, particularly one with a reasonably fit rider such as yourself.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Certainly sounds fast but I want a bike that we last me 4-5 years (battery replacement excluded of course) so quality is important to me.
Others may have a view, but I think a £1,500 Chinese bike would last five years with moderate use and proper maintenance.

What Chinese bikes don't provide, to me, is that indefinable joy of ownership when stood still.

Another point is a London commuting bike tends to get knocked about, bumped, scratched and so on.

Some owners would see it almost akin to cruelty to put a top-end bike through that.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Possibly, but I rarely need to change gear on my ebike, and I expect you will find the same.

Depends on terrain of course, but my cruising gear - fourth out of six - is good for nippy starts from rest and all but the steepest hills.

The Rohloff hub is seen as the bees knees for a quality road bike, but I think would be wasted on an ebike, particularly one with a reasonably fit rider such as yourself.
It depends how you ride. The Rohloff gears would simply address some of the shortcomings of most others albeit at a very high price. I doubt barclay would find a ready-built eBike equipped with them in this price range. Would more likely be 2-3 times a £3k top budget or higher. I don't think they would be wasted on a crank drive bike personally. I use a range of my gears all the time (especially 7-11) and unless you are cruising on pretty flat terrain at assisted speeds, reckon most people would make a fair bit of use of them too.

D

Deleted member 4366

I love these threads. They keep me amused for days as they swing from one direction to another.

Storcker

Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2012
I love these threads. They keep me amused for days as they swing from one direction to another.
A bit like having a few beers in the pub arguing the merits of anything and everything under the sun.
Always interesting to hear others views and opinions.

Tor Atle Lunde

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2011
Oslo, Norway
The Rohloff gears would simply address some of the shortcomings of most others albeit at a very high price. I doubt barclay would find a ready-built eBike equipped with them in this price range. Would more likely be 2-3 times a £3k top budget or higher.
Haibike has one: Haibike. It's priced around £3700. I agree though that it's a bit overkill. A normal derailleur with 9 or 10 gears is perfectly fine. I'd much rather put the money towards full suspension.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Haibike has one: Haibike. It's priced around £3700. I agree though that it's a bit overkill. A normal derailleur with 9 or 10 gears is perfectly fine. I'd much rather put the money towards full suspension.
Great find .... probably get something off if you tried too. If I had another £2.5k to throw about I'd be very tempted with that myself (if it was a 29er !). Not so fussed about full sus with a bike like that - but that's the thing I guess - everyone has different priorities.

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
The direct drive motor has two disadvantages, one is its hill climbing ability and the other is the the cogging effect (technically known as detent) which is due to pole construction. The cog or detent is the point at which the center of the magnets perfectly line up with the ideal magnetic path through the poles and this slows the rotation of the motor when not being powered.
This detent can be sharp or soft depending on pole constrution.
I rode a Storck a couple of months ago and it was a well made and powerful bike, but when freewheeling the cogging effect was noticeable when compared with a Scott/Bosch. I tend to freewheel quite a lot as it's very hilly here. In flatter country it may not be important.

The direct drive motor has two disadvantages, one is its hill climbing ability and the other is the the cogging effect (technically known as detent) which is due to pole construction. The cog or detent is the point at which the center of the magnets perfectly line up with the ideal magnetic path through the poles and this slows the rotation of the motor when not being powered.
This detent can be sharp or soft depending on pole constrution.
I rode a Storck a couple of months ago and it was a well made and powerful bike, but when freewheeling the cogging effect was noticeable when compared with a Scott/Bosch. I tend to freewheel quite a lot as it's very hilly here. In flatter country it may not be important.
If I may reply here that the Storck Raddar does offer up to 10% regen back to the battery whilst freewheeling (and therefore extending the range).

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
"If I may reply here that the Storck Raddar does offer up to 10% regen back to the battery whilst freewheeling (and therefore extending the range)"

OK, that is a very good point and I'd better put the SR back on my list :)

Tor Atle Lunde

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2011
Oslo, Norway
"If I may reply here that the Storck Raddar does offer up to 10% regen back to the battery whilst freewheeling (and therefore extending the range)"

OK, that is a very good point and I'd better put the SR back on my list :)
I've had regen in the past (BionX kit) but never found it useful. Does anyone think this is a feature worth having??

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't. It seems that only magazine reporters think it's good and those with massive pancake motors that forget to upgrade their rim brakes do as well.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've had regen in the past (BionX kit) but never found it useful. Does anyone think this is a feature worth having??
I don't. Most owners of the BionX don't seem to use it much if at all, and the very limited mass and low speeds of an e-bike and rider will never regenerate much anyway. It's far more efficient to use the kinetic energy developed in downhill speed to drive one further along the following stretch where possible.

barclay

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2012
London
Agreed. My wife is now very keen, so looks like I'll have to push to max £3200 for 2 bikes.

Storcker

Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2012
I have a Storck Multitask and the regen is not noticeable in use. It would be better if the regen could be varied by the rider to provide speed control on big downhills, an electric brake in effect even if the power so produced could not be all put back into the battery. Maybe a capacitor to temporarily store the excess electricity from braking regen?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Agreed. My wife is now very keen, so looks like I'll have to push to max £3200 for 2 bikes.
I'd agree with Philip - you can't really go wrong with 2 x C8 Agattus one in step-through and one regular. £1,536.50 each apparently now including UK delivery (30% discount). For that money they are a steal especially with the decent battery. OK you don't get 11 gears or the sophisticated display variant but you do save about £1300 over 2 bikes. I test-rode the C8 at the NEC and the bike was very good.

If you don't fancy them I'd concentrate on hub-drive bikes in that price bracket.