‘Quantum Leap’ in Battery Innovations Presented at Eurobike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
FRIEDRICHSHAFEN, Germany – Two of the world’s biggest battery suppliers presented major innovations at last week’s Eurobike. Panasonic showed its newly developed 20700 cell. BMZ, however, topped that with the world 1st 21700 cell. With the company’s new 3Tron battery system the lifespan of an e-bike battery is increased to 12 years, claims BMZ.

BMZ’s 3Tron battery system will be produced with big 21700 cells (21mm diameter and 70mm high). Together with stronger conductors and much more active cell material 3Tron offers 12 year lifespan! – Photo BMZ
BMZ, which is Europe’s biggest battery supplier not only for e-bikes but also for tools, household and gardening appliances, announced its ‘true quantum leap’ in e-bike battery technology in Friedrichshafen. Such leap is needed as electric bikes in particular usually have a much longer lifespan than their batteries. This is commonly a battery with a 18650-cell format. According to BMZ such a battery is exhausted after 3 years at most when its maximum number of charge cycles is reached.

Less heat and up to 60% more capacity
BMZ, together with another global battery player, managed to develop batteries that offer a much longer lifespan thanks to the fact that the new batteries create less heat and has up to 60% more capacity. BMZ says on this, “The increased lifespan of up to 12 years is thanked to the fact that the 60% more capacity allows for a radical reduction in charging cycles, the real battery killers. The need for occasional quick recharges is also greatly decreased.”

3Tron system
BMZ further claims that its new 3Tron system offering a lifespan twice to three times as long as standard batteries will ‘revolutionize e-bike batteries’. Europe’s biggest battery supplier says, “With 3Tron, BMZ is putting its trust in a completely new format: instead of a 18650 (18mm diameter and 65mm high) cell size, 3Tron will be produced as a size 21700 cell (21mm diameter and 70mm high). The increase in output would not be possible with the standard format. The 3Tron battery system, as the first 21700 format system worldwide, is setting the standard in this new class – because it is clear that other manufacturers will follow and produce 21700 format batteries as well: the development possibilities of the 18650 cell format are exhausted.”

50% increase in energy supply
The 3Tron system also comes with high quality materials as stronger conductors which are built into the 21700 cell while the proportion of active cell material has been significantly increased. “This allows a full 50% increase in energy supply. Thanks to low internal resistance, the output increases by 68%. And the 3Tron’s discharge current is actually four times higher than that of standard battery cells. The new 3Tron battery is not only stronger, longer-lasting and higher in endurance than a 18650 cell, it is also lighter due to the premium materials used – as if predestined for the e-bike field,” claims BMZ.

The 3Tron power packs will be assembled in Europe’s giga battery factory: at BMZ in Karlstein, Germany.

Panasonic new 20700 cells
Also Panasonic presented bigger battery cells at last week’s Eurobike. Their newly developed 20700 cell (20mm diameter and 70mm high) is in particular targeting e-MTBs that have downtube mounted batteries. By the way, Eurobike indicated that integrating the battery in the downtube is currently the general trend among electric Mountainbikes. Panasonic says on its 20700 cell, “This battery call has been developed for compact and integrated designs.” Panasonic offers two 36V integrated battery versions with 8 and 12Ah allowing for 288 and 432Wh.

Photo

• Also Panasonic presented bigger battery cells for compact and integrated batteries mounted on e-MTBs downtubes. – Photo Bike Europe
Published by Jack Oortwijn on 6 Sep 2016
last update: 6 Sep 2016

http://ebiketips.co.uk/content/news/huge-leaps-in-e-bike-battery-capacity-demoed-at-eurobike-428?utm_content=buffer47b0c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm having buttered toast for my tea today. In the morning I'm going to look down the back of the settee to see if I can find a £1 coin. If I get one, I'll be down Aldi for a jar of jam. Things might be looking up.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
but Tesla will take all the jam for there cars lol :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Was that a flying pig just went by?

SW I already posted a link to that 2 days ago. Hey! First post! :p

Reactions: flecc

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The Panasonic looks to be the most believable out of the two. Thanks for the post sw, good times ahead.

Now where did I put me jar of Hartley's :rolleyes:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Not sure what all the negativity regarding this post is about. Larger format cylindrical cells are definitely happening, the driver being simpler (cheaper) construction of large capacity packs with fewer points of failure. Larger cells also make integrated cooling easier with larger spaces between individual cells. I wouldn't call it a 'quantum leap' though (whatever that means), just evolution.

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
but Tesla will take all the jam for there cars lol :)
I think you're on to something there. The canteen at the new gigafactory must be huge and I bet they serve a lot of toast in the morning. Im sure that with Tesla being such a forward thinking company, must have already accounted for 'peak jam' though.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm having buttered toast for my tea today. In the morning I'm going to look down the back of the settee to see if I can find a £1 coin. If I get one, I'll be down Aldi for a jar of jam. Things might be looking up.
I'm sure there must be cheaper and better Chinese jars of jam on ebay.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I'm actually surprised you're not going to knock up a batch of DIY jam yourself.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Meanwhile in the UK there are signs of progress in the new Stack of Lemon slices and old penny batteries, self generating power cell technology.

Unfortunately there will be a delay as the Expected EU research grant is no longer available.

And due to the falling value of the pound the price of Lemons has made them prohibitively expensive, which has meant the diversion of research resources to locally grown Rhubarb being tested as an alternative source of acid.
Thanks to a Government initiative to encourage British Industry.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: IR772 and trex

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
According to BMZ such a battery is exhausted after 3 years at most when its maximum number of charge cycles is reached.
“The increased lifespan of up to 12 years is thanked to the fact that the 60% more capacity allows for a radical reduction in charging cycles, the real battery killers. The need for occasional quick recharges is also greatly decreased.”
I like the BMZ maths:

Existing batteries 3 years life.

New battery increases capacity by 60%.

Their claim of a 12 year life being due to the reduction in charges is an increase of 300%.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
More math:

We need the same power in a 60% smaller form factor
We need 60% more power in the same form factor
We need the same power 60% cheaper or a rise in revenue so that all people in the EU (sorry, not you...) get the same amount as the Germans and can all afford a 2500€ pedelec new every two years... :rolleyes:

Reactions: flecc

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015

There you go d8veh

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The BMZ and particularly the Panasonic cells do seem a bit more real world likely than most battery innovations.

I reckon batteries are the weak link in ebikes, so any improvement is welcome.

Top of my wish list is more range.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
You could just carry more/larger batteries....

Of course though, it would always be nice to have higher energy/power densities than what is available, but I don't consider current lithium batteries lacking enough to call them a weak link. I certainly consider them reliable enough when used within certain operating parameters and haven't personally had any issues with cells or packs I've purchased within the last four years.

To reach their limits, you'd have to push them to extremes and I think that you'd reach the limits of silicon power density of the MOSFET's inside controllers before the limits of the battery would become apparent, at least when using high discharge LiPo pouches.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I like to do 50-100 mile+ rides, so have no choice but to carry spare batteries.

The bike rides better with a single battery, so a greater capacity battery would enable me to do more rides without the need to carry a spare.

My Bosch batteries have been reliable and reasonably long lasting, but their performance must decline at some point, so a '12-year' battery would be a worthwhile improvement.

The electrics and motors on my two bikes have all been reliable, the Bosch motor has plenty of poke for me - I rarely use the higher power settings - and the controller does a good job of delivering the power smoothly.

Which leaves the battery as the weakest link in the chain.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
It makes sense when you put it like that, although a heavier bike is not a showstopper. I suppose this is one of those things that is down to your individual goals.

If your aim is extreme power and you ran top end components, the battery wouldn't be first to give up the ghost. Of all the electronic components, the controller would, probably followed by the motor.

I'd like cheaper batteries and we should get this in the long run as they are produced in greater and greater quantities, whatever the format.