11-42 cassette? Which one?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Fitted my new Bosch front ring and chain, but as anticipated it is skipping a bit in 6th (most used gear) so need to get a cassette.
There are so many to choose from and was about to order a Shimano SLX M7000 when Mr Google showed me a few more for the same/similar money including this one which I rather like the look of in black.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sun-Race-MS8-44-Bicycle-Cassette-Black/dp/B018HHAGK6/ref=sr_1_19?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1525023964&sr=1-19&keywords=sunrace+11-42

I have never heard of Sunrace, so my question is.. Assuming it will fit, is it a mistake to get away from established brands? In this case does cheaper mean not as good?

asc99c

Pedelecer
May 1, 2015
My cheap MTB has a couple of sunrace bits. They've been alright but I reckon they've done less miles before wearing out than the 'equivalent' Shimano kit.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: Gubbins

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Fitted my new Bosch front ring and chain, but as anticipated it is skipping a bit in 6th (most used gear) so need to get a cassette.
There are so many to choose from and was about to order a Shimano SLX M7000 when Mr Google showed me a few more for the same/similar money including this one which I rather like the look of in black.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sun-Race-MS8-44-Bicycle-Cassette-Black/dp/B018HHAGK6/ref=sr_1_19?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1525023964&sr=1-19&keywords=sunrace+11-42

I have never heard of Sunrace, so my question is.. Assuming it will fit, is it a mistake to get away from established brands? In this case does cheaper mean not as good?
Remember Sturmey Archer? Sunrace owns the brand now. If/when I go to 10 speed I will buy their 11-46 without hesitation, the 11-40 8 speed does it's job.

• Informative
Reactions: Gubbins

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I haven't used the 11 speed, but certainly can't speak highly enough of the Sunrace 11-42 ten speed cassette, and they have served me very well over the years, including several trips to the alps. The last one completed approx 3,500 miles of use, before slippage on gears 15t and 18t spelt the end of the cassette during one of the Swiss trips.

I would also add that they are the one only cassette that has never given me grief in respect of collecting muck and debris.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I can't speak highly enough of the Sunrace 11-42 cassette, and they have served me very well over the years, including several trips to the alps. The last one completed approx 3,500 miles of use, before spillage on gear 7 and 8 spelt during one of the Swiss trips spelt and end to it.
A bonus in buying this particular one is it's on prime so as it's too late for tomorrow's delivery at least I will get it on Tuesday..

Reactions: EddiePJ

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've gone through 2 chains on 11spd 11-46t, still going strong so gave to my son for his normal MTB.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Bought a Sunrace cassette for my non eBike full sus MTB. Had it for ages and not a single problem.

If you keep them clean and lubed, they are fine. imho :)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
You will need the lock ring removal tool and probably a chain whip... there are other methods, but you risk damage .;)
have both.. Last one I did was so tight I broke three chain whips trying. Though it must be me doing it wrong so took the wheel to Halfords and they couldn't get it off either. In the end I had to go to Ilkley Cycles to have it removed..

D

Deleted member 4366

A chain-whip tool is convenient, but you don't need one. You can use any piece of chain to hold the sprockets, including your bike's chain. You just need to fix one end. Wrap one end a couple of turns around the cassette and stick the other end in a vice with the wheel placed against the vice. That's a much better way if you need to apply some serious force to the retainer because a chain-whip is not long enough for you to resist the torque.

If the retainer is not too tight, you can stick a screwdriver through the chain to lever it without needing the vice or anything else.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Related Articles

Advertisers