12 volt and usb power sockets on e-bikes

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Just an idle question-is there an off-the-shelf kit for adding this to the e-bike?

I designed and built one for my Whoosh Sunbear, Using a regulator from RS components: Switching Regulator, 15 → 36V dc Input, 12V Output, 1AStock no.: 666-4385I
I have since sold that bike and miss it on my replacement bike.

Just ordered this:
DC-DC Step-down converter 15-52V 24V/36V to 12V Car LED display power supply
as a drop-in replacement with 3 amp regulator - easier than building my own this time.

I attached my Garmin sat-nav and could listen to my music without using dangerous earphones via bluetooth speakers. It also could charge my mobile and take and make 'phone calls hands-free at the same time, muting the music.

Music only for town riding, nicer than traffic noise. Not for country riding, noise pollution is a really bad thing in the country.

Cheers, Tony.IMG_20160817_1151162.jpg

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Don't know if anyone is actually looking at this thread.
I recently modified my Freego Eagle bought from Mike63 with a 12 volt power (cigarette lighter) socket. I used the power supply mentioned above
DC-DC Step-down converter 15-52V 24V/36V to 12V Car LED display power supply

to power the socket from the 36v battery I have just had refurbished by BGA.
its 58 x 32 x20mm, very small in a sealed box.
The Freego Eagle has just enough room in the crank box that houses the main controller to fit this and the in-line fuse for the modification.
After removing the battery and controller from the crank box, access is gained to the wiring looms. It is absolutely essential to fit a fuse to the input of the buck converter.
This shows the battery connector the in-line fuse (4amp), the quick-connect in-line connectors to the battery the output of the buck converter. Then extend the wiring from the buck converter output 12volt so it will reach the spot you want your power socket; I put mine on the handlebar stem.
12Volt_Power_Socket2.jpg

Below is the wire jumble leading to the looms. All this has to fit into the box which houses the controller underneath the crank, it is a very tight fit !!
12Volt_Power_Socket3.jpg
And after you have crammed it all in it should look like this...
12Volt_Power_Socket4.jpg
Then using a straightened metal coat hanger, feed the wires alongside the existing loom to the top of the lower crossbar.
12Volt_Power_Socket5.jpg
and the top...
12Volt_Power_Socket7.jpg
Then just connect the wires to your socket, fix it with a cable tie and it's all done.

12Volt_Power_Socket12.jpg

12Volt_Power_Socket11.jpg

Advertisers