1950s backwheel dynamo?

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
One for the historians.

I have a vague memory, echoed by my partner, of seeing pedal cycles in the 1950s with a large circular metal device built in to the back wheel, which in some manner gave power assistance to the rider.

What are we remembering, (if it isn't hysterical joint-memory), and why did the devices not survive into later decades?

Allen (born 1940s).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not electric Allen but petrol powered. Here is the one you saw:

It's the Cyclemaster, containing a 25 cc engine and a chain drive into the large hub, plus a petrol tank in the top half. This was the first version, the second one was grey in colour and 32 cc. Originally a design by Germany's DKW, these weere produced by the Dutch. There were many other petrol cyclemotors at that time, and they reached over one million registrations in the 1950s, far, far more successful than e-bikes.

I used to sell, fit and service these petrol types, but the scooter in the form of the Vespa and Lambretta surplanted them in popularity within a decade. These petrol cyclemotor bikes had to be registered, taxed and have rear number plates, and a motor cycle driving test had to be taken, hence their demise now, especially since helmets would have to be worn now, though not in those earlier years.

Last edited:

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
was the BSA wingwheel of the same design, I vaguely remember one as a kid I think. My first moped in the early 70,s being a raleigh runabout with bicycle side pull front brake

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9

It's the Cyclemaster, containing a 25 cc engine and a chain drive into the large hub, plus a petrol tank in the top half.
I used to sell, fit and service these petrol types.....
Interestingly one of these has just appeared amongst the 2nd hand stock of my LBS!

Very surprising to see one still around and apparently working :D !

Phil

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Interestingly one of these has just appeared amongst the 2nd hand stock of my LBS!

Very surprising to see one still around and apparently working :D !

Phil
THere are enthusiast for these still around, and a retired headmaster friend of mine had a collection of them as a museum.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
was the BSA wingwheel of the same design, I vaguely remember one as a kid I think. My first moped in the early 70,s being a raleigh runabout with bicycle side pull front brake
The BSA Winged Wheel was more powerful with a 50 cc motor. It was vaguely similar but the engine sat outside the lower left of the wheel and the petrol tank was also external, inconveniently using the carrier. Therefore nothing like the fully integrated Cyclemaster:

Last edited:

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
I suppose I'm not surprised really, people collect all sorts of mechanical memorabilia. These would be relatively unusual, cheaper and simpler than most to buy and maintain and certainly much easier to store..:) .
First time I've seen one in the normal 2nd hand pile in a LBS though. All the others I've seen have either been in museums or at classic vehicle rallies.

Phil

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I suppose I'm not surprised really, people collect all sorts of mechanical memorabilia. These would be relatively unusual, cheaper and simpler than most to buy and maintain and certainly much easier to store..:) .
First time I've seen one in the normal 2nd hand pile in a LBS though. All the others I've seen have either been in museums or at classic vehicle rallies.

Phil
I'm living in hope that some genius is going to come up with a working version of the MIT GreenWheel, with wireless controls, which can be slotted into any our our 26" wheeled bikes from the tandem to the delivery bike ... dream on! The old Cycle Master 32cc had its faults but it did work (sometimes) and was great fun for a mechanically ten thumbed school boy to cut his teeth on!

Last edited:

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Don't forget the 208cc Singer wheel made between 1900 and 1904. I snapped this photo at the Shuttleworth Collection in Bedfordshire last year, and yes, that is a Cyclemaster to the left.

Last edited:

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Don't forget the 208cc Singer wheel made between 1900 and 1904. I snapped this photo at the Shuttleworth Collection in Bedfordshire last year, and yes, that is a Cyclemaster to the left.

Want one! 208cc pounding away! I bet it had a very similar performance to the Cyclemaster ...
My other venture into clip-on engines was a Trojan (!) Mini-motor - a carborundum drive wheel device designed to shred tyres. It was of marginal use going downhill but no bg uphill. It didn't like rain much either. I had it clamped to the back wheel of the tandem - not the best courting device known to man. Still, when I came out of the army the lass married me but after 50+ years still introduces me as her 'first husband'. I'd still like a properly motorised tandem ...

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Funny, I don't remember these bikes as having any noise (i.e. of a petrol engine), but I bow to vastly superior wisdom.

One sort that I DO remember as being noisey was a sort of squarish thing which sat on top of the rear wheel behind the saddle (kept you warm, probably), which I THINK bore upon the tyre in the manner later echoed by Sinclair. So, put me straight on that one!

Allen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You're correct again Allen, it was the Power-Pak, made by Sinclair-Goddard, no connection with Sir Clive Sinclair. It was very noisy compared to the much quieter Cyclemaster, but at 49 cc was also much more powerful and the fastest one on the road. It didn't use a carborundum wheel, instead it had an alloy roller with ridge bars on it, pressed firmly into the tyre. It's failing was that in wet weather the drive slipped and could shred a tyre in no time.

Although popular, the Power-Pak was the shortest lived of all, in and out of the market in just three years. Here it is:

Last edited:

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
You're correct again Allen, it was the Power-Pak, made by Sinclair-Goddard, no connection with Sir Clive Sinclair. It was very noisy compared to the much quieter Cyclemaster, but at 49 cc was also much more powerful and the fastest one on the road. It didn't use a carborundum wheel, instead it had an alloy roller with ridge bars on it, pressed firmly into the tyre. It's failing was that in wet weather the drive slipped and could shred a tyre in no time.

Although popular, the Power-Pak was the shortest lived of all, in and out of the market in just three years. Here it is:

Oh Joy! I've just discovered a firm selling 80cc add-on petrol motors (only £139!) which appear to strap onto the downtube and drive the rear wheel through a chain and sprocket. Can't wait. Well, on reflexion, yes I can ...
Tom.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I know this is a LONG time ago, and I was nowt but a wee boy, but more memories:

the one above, the Power-Pak, I remember partly because of the pop-pop-pop, and partly because it was obviously a bicycle but had a number plate, which puzzled me.

But the Cyclemaster, no, can't recall the number plate. Memory failure, or were the laws less rigorously enforced, I wonder.

Maggie, who grew up in Donegal in the 40s and 50s, remembers quite a few of the latter, often ridden by postmen or district nurses - and for those who don't know their Irish geography, in Donegal you really want some sort of power assistance for all them hills.

A.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But the Cyclemaster, no, can't recall the number plate. Memory failure, or were the laws less rigorously enforced, I wonder.
Always registered with number plates and tax discs, and the law was strictly enforced, including the need for a full motorcycle driving licence and L plates while provisional up to the test. There was no lower two wheel licence then, like our P group moped one now. Traffic police were numerous back then and any infringement was rapidly picked up the boys in blue driving Wolseleys with bell ringing on the front.

There were no electric bikes back then, the high discharge SLA lead acid batteries didn't exist and things like Ni-Cad, NiMh and lithium batteries didn't exist either. It had to be zinc-carbon disposable batteries or car type liquid electrolyte lead acid batteries, far too heavy and dangerous for use on two wheeled bikes.

Given the breakdown frequency of two strokes back then, you may have seen immobile Cyclemasters being silently pedalled without power. :D

Last edited:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
There's also the Sachs Saxonette Luxus, I saw one in the wild puttering through Arnhem a few years ago.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
OOoooooo, that looks sweet as a nut does that.

Vikki (bib on and dribbling like a fool).