1st weekend with Bergamont Trailster C 9.0

steveness

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 26, 2017
nottinghamshire
I think my issues are mainly caused by where I ride. Sherwood Pines is very sandy and it's been so wet now for months so it turns the mud into grinding paste, however my normal nightly ride is 22 miles after which the bike is cleaned down and reoiled so to only get 350 miles out of the EX1 is pretty shocking. Just one of the gears has shark toothed but as its one of the fixed rings thats it knackered :(

I'm thinking of going back to the original X1 11speed but I'll look into the XT/SLX as my experience with SRAM hasn't been great so far

D

Deleted member 4366

I think my issues are mainly caused by where I ride. Sherwood Pines is very sandy and it's been so wet now for months so it turns the mud into grinding paste, however my normal nightly ride is 22 miles after which the bike is cleaned down and reoiled so to only get 350 miles out of the EX1 is pretty shocking. Just one of the gears has shark toothed but as its one of the fixed rings thats it knackered :(

I'm thinking of going back to the original X1 11speed but I'll look into the XT/SLX as my experience with SRAM hasn't been great so far
Hold on. There's always a gear with shark teeth. That's how they are. Did you compare it with a new one?

Loads of shark teeth can be seen in this picture, especially on 3rd and 4th gear.

steveness

Apr 26, 2017
nottinghamshire
I know what you mean, but on mine you can see the wear (its currently in the shop so I can't take a photo) I know the cassette has had it as with the old chain it wouldn't drop down to the next chain ring and with a new chain it just jumped all the time. for me the EX1 has been a total waste of money

D

Deleted member 4366

Shifting and sprocket wear are completely I dependent. I reckon that the shop took one look at your expensive bike and £symbols appeared in their eyes. I think its time to find a new bike shop. Jumping is also most likely to shifting not set up properly.

steveness

Apr 26, 2017
nottinghamshire
the owners of the shop are friends of more than 30 years so thankfully that isn't the case :) also, chain jumping over a cassette gear is quite common when you put a new chain on a worn cassette, at least thats how I've always known its time to get a new cassette on every bike I've had since childhood .

It changes through most of the gears fine, its just 5th into 6th where it refuses to drop rings, if I click again it will skip it and drop 2 rings, same with changing up. Shifting is set up fine, this is classic worn cassette symtoms. I also changed the gear cable and outer cable to ensure there wasn't anything restricting its movement.

steveness

Apr 26, 2017
nottinghamshire
ps.. it was my idea to fit the EX1 as the reviews looked really promising. I think in reality for really muddy terrain a cheap chain and cassette is probably the wiser option as they are cheaper to replace

D

Deleted member 4366

ps.. it was my idea to fit the EX1 as the reviews looked really promising. I think in reality for really muddy terrain a cheap chain and cassette is probably the wiser option as they are cheaper to replace
In that case, you,be most likely got a stone wedged in it.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If you can live with limited range sunrace 11-40t with quality 9spd derailleur is lot cheaper to maintain. They do 8spd 11-40t but derailleurs are very basic.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If you can live with limited range sunrace 11-40t with quality 9spd derailleur is lot cheaper to maintain. They do 8spd 11-40t but derailleurs are very basic.
I have learned to hate the Alivio 8 speed... :( I much prefer the cheaper Acera which seems to be pretty much bulletproof.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I have learned to hate the Alivio 8 speed... :( I much prefer the cheaper Acera which seems to be pretty much bulletproof.
I replaced new Altus 9spd derailleur (still Altus shifter) with 5yr old Deore. Faster more positive shifts, XT would should be another step up again in performance.

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
I'm having a nightmare with mine !.. done 3,600 miles since I bought it, in that time I've:

Replaced both wheels due to original ones snapping spokes

Replaced the chain guide sproket bearings every 200 miles (they just fail for fun !)

Had a new lower swing arm and chain guide spindle in an attempt to resolve the above (still failing)

Wore out 3 cassettes and several chains before replacing whole drive train with SRAM EX1 system. I thought this would give me better chain and cassette life, sadly this isn't the case and one of the rings on the cassette has worn out after 350miles !.. now got a complaint in with SRAM as £400 for a new one as its one of the fixed rings thats failed.

I'm on my 3rd Bosch motor too.. 1st one started to clunk after 2000Miles, the 2nd failed pretty much within the 1st week so was probably just unlucky with that one.

I clean the bike after pretty much every ride, I'm pretty anal about this due to how quickly I'm tearing through bearings, chains and cassettes.

I'm now starting to wonder if this bike was the right choice for me as I must have spent over £1500 on the bike since July 2017 :(

Sounds like a lot of this is general ebike / Bosch issues rather than problems with Bergamont. Although I think they may have cut a few corners on the wheels, the spoke nipples at least seem to have been a poor choice.

Does sound like quite a high mileage for only 12 months on a mountain bike. I assume the motor problems got sorted under warranty? Is it 2 years Bosch cover them for? Kinda hoping mine gets replaced before the warranty is up.

My cassette is on the way out, hoping to get a few more weeks out of it before i have to replace. Will get another chain and chain-ring at same time. Will probably just get the cheaper XG-1150 (still £85) as don't think the more expensive ones will last much better. I am enjoying the range 11 speed 10-42 gives, can hit 35mph on the roads and still managed to ride up a few hills in granny gear when I ran out of battery.

Really not been cleaning my bike that thoroughly. Partly worried about over-cleaning getting water into the bearings and also just a bit lazy.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers