2 cyclists killed yesterday

gerryscott

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2010
Another 2 cyclists killed yesterday in cornwall doing the lands end to john o'groats.lorry driver being charged with dangerous driving, from the short news footage it looked like a very scary road they were on.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
It was on the infamous A30 which is indeed a very busy, fast and scary road with

many many fatal accidents over the years.

The two young men who died were from Scotland and had just started out on a fund raising ride in memory of a friend who had died of cancer.

When I saw the barely recognisable remains of the bikes on the news last night I just felt sick.

Judging by the position of the tarpaulin screen it looked like the poor victims were still under the lorry......please take great care everyone out there who rides in traffic.

Lynda :(

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Agree, Lynda.

I've had a couple of close shaves in the past few days and that's only in the back streets of Southend.
BOTH were white van drivers BTW......says it all, doesn't it? But there again our courier's just turned up to pick up our bikes. his van is white but he drives it well and is a cyclist. Maybe all drivers (or at least HGVers) should be made to ride a bike as part of their test so they know what it feels like, or sit in on one of these simulated road experience things. So they'd be riding the bike and have people opening car doors in front of them, cutting in and so on. I'm sure the number of mirrors and where they are placed could also be improved upon to stop all these terrible accidents.

Hatti

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Thats a really good idea Hatti to make hgv drivers learn how to ride a bike safely first before getting their licences.

Lynda :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
There are many frustrations with cycle paths, but I use them where possible because I'd rather be the biggest and fastest moving thing in my environment than the smallest and slowest.

Having said that, from reading a bit about Lands End to John o'Groats routes, I think it's difficult to cross Cornwall and Devon without going on A roads.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I wouldn't ride that, or many other, stretch of the A30 for any reason, at any price.

That stretch is pretty straight and very quick - No-one's expecting to find cyclists there.

There are many alternative routes to get you from one end of Cornwall to the other, without chancing the Trunk road, but the End to End cyclists and walkers seem to have tunnel vision when route planning: I'd use CycleStreets to do the planning and Sustrans routes where possible.

The difference in time taken by using the trunk roads against a more scenic route is not huge when you're on a bike.

Just my 2-penn'orth.