2017 cube reaction hybrid pro 400

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Hi bought myself for Xmas a cube reaction hybrid pro with the intention of using it for the daily work commute . It’s a round trip of 16 mile along a combination of canal path and converted cycle path ( disused railway line ) . I opted for the 2017 model over the 2016 discounted model as I preferred the more integrated look of the battery pack and found a nice discount through my works rewards gateway scheme meaning I got 12% of Evans cycles price £1760 instead of £1999 ! Not particularly impressed with the Evans cycles experience bike was supplied with Euro style 2 pin plug tried plugging it into shaver adapter and instantly blew the adapters fuse whoops ! To be fair Evans were apologetic and posted out an adapter out to me , however I note the adapter was from B&Q and had a 13amp fuse fitted hardly ideal . I will change the fuse probably for a 4amp at a later date . Anyway eventually with a fully charged battery I set off on its maiden voyage . I have added a few additional items crud catcher rear mudguard and frame mounted catcher to keep dirt off battery pack . Under seat topeak storage for a spare inner tube and tools . Also a set of Aldi LED rechargeable bike-mate lights . First impressions very good took it quite easy due to being rather icy underfoot . Gear shift very smooth indeed the shimano deore 11 speed definitely up to the job . Tried initially in eco mode till confidence built up but soon put into EMTB mode it’s great motor pulls well hills and headwinds barely noticeable. I covered 16 miles without effort no risk of breaking into a sweat no need to stop to take on fluids this thing is just the job for the commute. I just need to make a few minor tweaks . The brakes were not confidence inspiring although may need more miles to bed in first . I’m quite heavy at 107 kg but on a downhill gradient brakes felt weak never had an issue on my regular boardman MTB with avid brakes even from new though . So may need looking into I note the levers pull quite close to the bars so may need bleeding ? I also suffered pins and needles in fingers after 45 mins riding . I regularly suffer from this even on my old bike despite playing with handlebar position and different stem lengths . I was hoping a new bike with more modern front suspension would be the cure but it appears not . The cube suspension felt good although the wide 2.6 29 inch wheels probably helped ? I suspect I may need to play around with tyre pressures to get the best out of the schwalbe smart sams . I reckon they may be overkill for my particular need I will use them till they wear out and replace with something less chunky with less rolling resistance . Anyway after 16 mile mixed trials I enjoyed the ride albeit chilly I got home feeling ok , no need for a shower just a brew and sit down . Purion display reckons I have 37 mile left in ECO mode and just 10 mile if using turbo ! I found myself slowing down in order to let the motor assist on hills it’s counter intuitive but definitely the way to ride it to get the best support . A bit annoying really if the motor assisted to 20 mph it would make a big difference and suit my riding style . I’m hoping to get my fitness up then swap back to regular MTB and then let wife use the Ebike for rides . Failing that I’ll have to be her one if I can’t bare to make the switch back ! I will post back up with progress I have enjoyed reading others peoples reviews in the forums I have picked up a lot of info from it cheers

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
For your wrist problem, try a more vertical stem. An adjustable stem would also work, but don't use it for serious MTBing as it could give out on big hit.

If this doesn't work next step is new bars checkout Jones bars. Tourers swear by them.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hi bought myself for Xmas a cube reaction hybrid pro with the intention of using it for the daily work commute . It’s a round trip of 16 mile along a combination of canal path and converted cycle path ( disused railway line ) . I opted for the 2017 model over the 2016 discounted model as I preferred the more integrated look of the battery pack and found a nice discount through my works rewards gateway scheme meaning I got 12% of Evans cycles price £1760 instead of £1999 ! Not particularly impressed with the Evans cycles experience bike was supplied with Euro style 2 pin plug tried plugging it into shaver adapter and instantly blew the adapters fuse whoops ! To be fair Evans were apologetic and posted out an adapter out to me , however I note the adapter was from B&Q and had a 13amp fuse fitted hardly ideal . I will change the fuse probably for a 4amp at a later date . Anyway eventually with a fully charged battery I set off on its maiden voyage . I have added a few additional items crud catcher rear mudguard and frame mounted catcher to keep dirt off battery pack . Under seat topeak storage for a spare inner tube and tools . Also a set of Aldi LED rechargeable bike-mate lights . First impressions very good took it quite easy due to being rather icy underfoot . Gear shift very smooth indeed the shimano deore 11 speed definitely up to the job . Tried initially in eco mode till confidence built up but soon put into EMTB mode it’s great motor pulls well hills and headwinds barely noticeable. I covered 16 miles without effort no risk of breaking into a sweat no need to stop to take on fluids this thing is just the job for the commute. I just need to make a few minor tweaks . The brakes were not confidence inspiring although may need more miles to bed in first . I’m quite heavy at 107 kg but on a downhill gradient brakes felt weak never had an issue on my regular boardman MTB with avid brakes even from new though . So may need looking into I note the levers pull quite close to the bars so may need bleeding ? I also suffered pins and needles in fingers after 45 mins riding . I regularly suffer from this even on my old bike despite playing with handlebar position and different stem lengths . I was hoping a new bike with more modern front suspension would be the cure but it appears not . The cube suspension felt good although the wide 2.6 29 inch wheels probably helped ? I suspect I may need to play around with tyre pressures to get the best out of the schwalbe smart sams . I reckon they may be overkill for my particular need I will use them till they wear out and replace with something less chunky with less rolling resistance . Anyway after 16 mile mixed trials I enjoyed the ride albeit chilly I got home feeling ok , no need for a shower just a brew and sit down . Purion display reckons I have 37 mile left in ECO mode and just 10 mile if using turbo ! I found myself slowing down in order to let the motor assist on hills it’s counter intuitive but definitely the way to ride it to get the best support . A bit annoying really if the motor assisted to 20 mph it would make a big difference and suit my riding style . I’m hoping to get my fitness up then swap back to regular MTB and then let wife use the Ebike for rides . Failing that I’ll have to be her one if I can’t bare to make the switch back ! I will post back up with progress I have enjoyed reading others peoples reviews in the forums I have picked up a lot of info from it cheers
Try something like these to alleviate your wrist problem
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=Ergon+GP3+Formerly+GR2+Handlebar+Grips
They allow you to change your grip angle by 90’

Reactions: Solrighal

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Thanks for the advice I’m not sure if it’s a wrist problem I’ve had tests done for carpal tunnel but they came back ok . I do have low thyroid function issues which I think can cause circulation issues so it maybe me rather than the bike ? I have tried a very short downhill stem and various cycle gloves also changed to a softer handgrip compound so new bars and restyled grips maybe the way to go ? Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
carbon bars will also help but if it is a air fork try letting some air out as might be set to high for ur waight.

you need a shock pump for this tho.

Reactions: Plodder Bob

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
In my case those cow horn grips, made things worst, but they may work for you.

Wrist pain and damage is common problem with tourers using MTBs with factory bars for long distance riding. The issue is riding position and handle bar design is placing weight on wrists for long periods while not at an ideal angle. Quality suspension and handlebar material will not change this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plodder Bob

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Thanks for the advice I’m not sure if it’s a wrist problem I’ve had tests done for carpal tunnel but they came back ok . I do have low thyroid function issues which I think can cause circulation issues so it maybe me rather than the bike ? I have tried a very short downhill stem and various cycle gloves also changed to a softer handgrip compound so new bars and restyled grips maybe the way to go ? Thanks for taking the time to reply :)
As someone also in the thyroid camp, I urge you to seriously consider that a likely cause.

Commonly found alongside thyroid (as well as separately), low vitamin B12 levels are also common - and can cause all sorts of nerve issues.

Not wanting to make this a health forum - feel free to contact me privately. Or to ignore me! :)

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Thought I’d give a bit of an update to the review now I’ve had 20 rideouts on it totalling just 137 mile . Mainly used on the work commute with the odd longer trip at weekends . It’s certainly helping me enjoy cycling again even with the dodgy weather and local poorly maintained cycle paths ( thanks Salford council ! ) . I have made several improvements lately a suntour nsx suspension seat post has improved ride comfort considerably. A zefal FM20 front mudguard/deflector keeps mud out of my face whilst looking reasonably stylish . I added a better front light the Aldi one is fine on well lit roads but useless on unlit cycleways I have bought a cateye volt 500XC 500 lumen max which illuminates the unlit cycleways rather well it’s small lightweight with reasonable battery life . I have recently ordered a larger front sprocket 20 teeth as I’ve found myself running out of gears quite often especially since I realised it’s a 10 speed block and NOT 11 speed lol . My fitness is improving and hopefully I’m resolving several health issues ( thanks Oyster ) turns out my Vitamin D , Ferrite levels and B12 are all very low which explains my joint pains and loss of sensation in fingers . Hoping these will improve now I have supplements to get them back up . I have also had my levothyroxine dose increased . The joys of getting older eh ? Hopefully a bit wiser though !? ;-)

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Mainly used on the work commute with the odd longer trip at weekends .
Doing the daily commute is one of the absolute best things about having a bike. Since starting at the very beginning of January, I have cycled every day - not once jumped into a car. And I feel so good when I get to work! The office is often pretty darned cold, but even my short ride helps me keep warm for the first hour. Also pleasantly surprised how few times I have had to put waterproofs on. :)

Weekends have been a disappointment - far too wet and windy to be enjoyable, but today is at least bright and dry though cold and windy (about 40 mph).

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Your a bit more hardcore than me than Oyster ! I’ve not managed a full week but have been managing 3 days a week . I’ve had waterproofs on half the time usually for the ride in to work at 6am . I don’t mind getting wet on the ride home though ! I set a new personal best on the ride in last week 21mins 30 secs for 6.5 miles mainly off road along canal towpath in weatherproofs . Felt good all day about it . Best time on ‘normal’ mtb last summer was just under 30 mins so a lot quicker now plus no need for a shower on arriving at work either

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Your a bit more hardcore than me than Oyster ! I’ve not managed a full week but have been managing 3 days a week . I’ve had waterproofs on half the time usually for the ride in to work at 6am . I don’t mind getting wet on the ride home though ! I set a new personal best on the ride in last week 21mins 30 secs for 6.5 miles mainly off road along canal towpath in weatherproofs . Felt good all day about it . Best time on ‘normal’ mtb last summer was just under 30 mins so a lot quicker now plus no need for a shower on arriving at work either
You are tougher than me! Mine is much shorter - as low as two miles if I take the shortest route.

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Managed a full week commuting last week total of 60 mile covered in all weather conditions. My 20 tooth front sprocket has now been fitted helping to raise my average speed . It does make the front sprocket run very close to the motor casing so doubt I could fit anything bigger ? The front sprocket locking ring is rather soft & you have to bare in mind it’s a left hand thread so knock the ring clockwise to remove it . Had to use a ground down screwdriver to knock the castellated collar loose . My C spanner wouldn’t engage enough and wasn’t sure which 8 pin tool was required . The bonus is my quickest commute to work is now down to 19 mins 30 secs although it was hard work for a relatively small gain in time saved .

Reactions: Andrez and oyster

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Pride goes before a fall ... well it had to happen I guess , took a fall enroute to work this morning at 6-15 . Ironically it wasn’t on the canal towpath where you would expect or on the busy diesel soaked roundabouts around Trafford park but instead on the provided cycle lane. A large solid wire mesh screen partially detached from its fixings across the cycle lane caused my progress to halt rapidly , over the handlebars and into the road luckily narrowly missing traffic . My clothes are trashed pants , jacket , gloves . Helmet escaped ok . Abrasions to elbow , hip , knee very sore and rather swollen . It could have been a lot worse I think I got off lightly . Strava shows my speed on impact at 16 - 18 mph to a dead stop ! Surprisingly little damage to the bike . Go-Pro mounted to handlebar smashed . Scratches to brake lever , pedal end and side of seat but not a single scratch to frame , forks or motor casing . Gears , brakes ok , front wheel still runs true . Apparently it was damaged Friday night but didn’t get repaired until Tuesday afternoon grr ....0703D292-0BE4-4F25-A1B1-CBA096667693.jpeg

• Informative

vandalbulldog

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2017
Bingley
Pride goes before a fall ... well it had to happen I guess , took a fall enroute to work this morning at 6-15 . Ironically it wasn’t on the canal towpath where you would expect or on the busy diesel soaked roundabouts around Trafford park but instead on the provided cycle lane. A large solid wire mesh screen partially detached from its fixings across the cycle lane caused my progress to halt rapidly , over the handlebars and into the road luckily narrowly missing traffic . My clothes are trashed pants , jacket , gloves . Helmet escaped ok . Abrasions to elbow , hip , knee very sore and rather swollen . It could have been a lot worse I think I got off lightly . Strava shows my speed on impact at 16 - 18 mph to a dead stop ! Surprisingly little damage to the bike . Go-Pro mounted to handlebar smashed . Scratches to brake lever , pedal end and side of seat but not a single scratch to frame , forks or motor casing . Gears , brakes ok , front wheel still runs true . Apparently it was damaged Friday night but didn’t get repaired until Tuesday afternoon grr ....View attachment 23464
Good grief, that looks awful. Glad to hear you walked away from this scene in (relatively) one piece [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Thanks for concern I’m ok very sore indeed though . I’m going to persue this with the council I think I have a valid claim . I have joined BCF so hoping to get help from their legal team as council strangely enough are reluctant to get in touch but at least they have now removed the broken barrier !

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
A bit of an update now up to 640 miles on the bike . Bike running sweet only drama picked up a rear tyre puncture a small thorn . Managed to ride home before loosing pressure, trying to remove the tyre off the rim proved difficult the plastic tyre levers were useless I found washing up liquid helped get the bead off the rim not something I would normally carry on the commute to work ! In the search for comfort I have changed the stem to a very short renthall one and bought a set of ergon GP3 handgrips still trying to find the ideal position the jury is out if they help with pins and needles / numbness. The NSX suspension seatpost also needed a repair partly my fault , I suspect I may have set the preload to high and the top of the seatpost started to come adrift . Winding the preload back off and several sharp blows with a mallet appears to have fixed it ! Still struggling to find mudguards that work and look ok , the rear 29er crud catcher looks ok but leaves a line of mud up my back on wet commutes . The altura arran expanding rackpack is ok but a bit lacking in capacity (5 litre) . I can either take my lunch to work or waterproofs but don’t have room for both unfortunately. I think a proper pannier rack is on the cards if I can find one that looks ok . Same applies to mudguards but struggling to find something for 29” wheels 2.6 wide in black . Very impressed with the bike itself though so much so that I’ve purchased a Cube access pro for the wife . She loves it but did a few minor tweaks to it I’ve added the compulsory NSX seatpost and 20 teeth front chainring . Hers is a smaller frame and comes with 27.5” wheels also came with the older larger charger which I prefer as it has a faster charger rate 4 amp against the newer 2 amp one .

Reactions: Parky and oyster

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
also came with the older larger charger which I prefer as it has a faster charger rate 4 amp against the newer 2 amp one .
The smaller two amp charger is marketed in the UK as a travel charger, although it would need a full overnight to charge a 500wh battery.

I note your bike also came with a non-UK compliant mains lead, so I wonder if Evans got hold of a batch of cheaper European spec bikes.

No matter, you have a faster charger as well now.

The chargers seem reliable, but handy to have a spare when you depend on the bike for commuting.

Related Articles

Advertisers