2017 cube reaction hybrid pro 400

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Update - Now covered 1200 miles gets used daily for 14 mile round trip commute . No drama very enjoyable wife has started using hers for work as well . Made a few alterations both bikes have pannier racks fitted mine has a tortec wife has the dearer topeak. Both do the job but the rack on the topeak has a quick mount system making the top bag a doddle to remove . Mine has an altura top bag that velcro’s on not quite as convenient but cheaper . I opted to purchase a set of cube quick release panniers again easy to install and remove but have had to modify the locking system as the pins kept working loose . I also have had to pin the NSX seatpost on my bike as the top section kept raising up . The wife’s seatpost has been fine though but she’s somewhat lighter than me . I have also ditched the standard cube seat to be fair it was reasonably comfortable but got damaged when I crashed the bike . I now have a fabric line shallow profile 140mm width seat . Early signs are promising not sure if it will give me ‘ all day comfort ‘ as advertised on their marketing blurb . I must say I was impressed with Evans cycles return policy as I have returned several seats from different brands before finding the right one for me . It’s a shame that their staff aren’t trained how to use their own ‘sit test ‘ equipment though as I suspect I would have found the right seat sooner .
At 1200 miles all I’ve needed to do is torque check fastenings and lube up chain once a month . Still on original tyres ,chain and rear cassette no drop in battery performance yet .

Reactions: Julie and oyster

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Thought I’d update now on 1800 miles . New brake pads required on front lever was pulling close to the bars . Tyres fine had a few punctures on the rear swarf and the tip of Stanley knife blade and a monster thorn . Chain and sprockets show no sign of slipping . I have took the slack out of rear derailier cable as shifting gear seemed sluggish. No plans for any other modifications but may look for a less ‘knobbly ‘ tyre when the smart sams eventually need replacing . I did upgrade the front light to a twin SME set up with separate battery pack it lights up the unlit track to work a treat . One of China’s finest of eBay cost 1/2 the amount of the cat eye rechargeable one but gives off twice the light ! Very impressed found the details for it on this forum so thanks I now carry the cat eye as my emergency spare .

Philip Copley

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2018
Hi Bob, have you found a limit to how far the battery will get you at 400wh? I've been considering a 400wh version bike i found for a reasonable price. Like you will probably look to put road tyres on eventually. Thanks in advance, Phil.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Hi bought myself for Xmas a cube reaction hybrid pro with the intention of using it for the daily work commute . It’s a round trip of 16 mile along a combination of canal path and converted cycle path ( disused railway line ) . I opted for the 2017 model over the 2016 discounted model as I preferred the more integrated look of the battery pack and found a nice discount through my works rewards gateway scheme meaning I got 12% of Evans cycles price £1760 instead of £1999 ! Not particularly impressed with the Evans cycles experience bike was supplied with Euro style 2 pin plug tried plugging it into shaver adapter and instantly blew the adapters fuse whoops ! To be fair Evans were apologetic and posted out an adapter out to me , however I note the adapter was from B&Q and had a 13amp fuse fitted hardly ideal . I will change the fuse probably for a 4amp at a later date . Anyway eventually with a fully charged battery I set off on its maiden voyage . I have added a few additional items crud catcher rear mudguard and frame mounted catcher to keep dirt off battery pack . Under seat topeak storage for a spare inner tube and tools . Also a set of Aldi LED rechargeable bike-mate lights . First impressions very good took it quite easy due to being rather icy underfoot . Gear shift very smooth indeed the shimano deore 11 speed definitely up to the job . Tried initially in eco mode till confidence built up but soon put into EMTB mode it’s great motor pulls well hills and headwinds barely noticeable. I covered 16 miles without effort no risk of breaking into a sweat no need to stop to take on fluids this thing is just the job for the commute. I just need to make a few minor tweaks . The brakes were not confidence inspiring although may need more miles to bed in first . I’m quite heavy at 107 kg but on a downhill gradient brakes felt weak never had an issue on my regular boardman MTB with avid brakes even from new though . So may need looking into I note the levers pull quite close to the bars so may need bleeding ? I also suffered pins and needles in fingers after 45 mins riding . I regularly suffer from this even on my old bike despite playing with handlebar position and different stem lengths . I was hoping a new bike with more modern front suspension would be the cure but it appears not . The cube suspension felt good although the wide 2.6 29 inch wheels probably helped ? I suspect I may need to play around with tyre pressures to get the best out of the schwalbe smart sams . I reckon they may be overkill for my particular need I will use them till they wear out and replace with something less chunky with less rolling resistance . Anyway after 16 mile mixed trials I enjoyed the ride albeit chilly I got home feeling ok , no need for a shower just a brew and sit down . Purion display reckons I have 37 mile left in ECO mode and just 10 mile if using turbo ! I found myself slowing down in order to let the motor assist on hills it’s counter intuitive but definitely the way to ride it to get the best support . A bit annoying really if the motor assisted to 20 mph it would make a big difference and suit my riding style . I’m hoping to get my fitness up then swap back to regular MTB and then let wife use the Ebike for rides . Failing that I’ll have to be her one if I can’t bare to make the switch back ! I will post back up with progress I have enjoyed reading others peoples reviews in the forums I have picked up a lot of info from it cheers
If you what to maximise your cassette life , change chain at 0.75 wear mark. There are two schools of thought replace regularly at 0.75 mark or run whole drive train until something stops working. Not sure which is cheaper, but once chain is too worn, plan B is your only option.

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Hi Bob, have you found a limit to how far the battery will get you at 400wh? I've been considering a 400wh version bike i found for a reasonable price. Like you will probably look to put road tyres on eventually. Thanks in advance, Phil.
Hi Phil , thanks for your interest although i bought the 400w version i have swapped batterys over with the wifes 500w pack . The max distance i have achieved with the 500w pack is 43miles this is a good mix of road / track surfaces without too much gradient . I am a heavy rider 105kg and tend to favour tour mode with the odd blast of EMTB mode when the hills arrive . From memory the max i rode on 400w pack is 34 mile on the same route . The bigger battery pack adds 20% range but at greater additional cost £200 ? I use mine for commuting on the small pack i get two and half trips to work . The bigger battery gets me 3 trips so i can recharge back at home rather than needing to charge at work . Its also worth pointing out there are 2 chargers available 2amp and 4amp . The 2 amp is more compact but the 4amp charges at a faster rate .

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
If you what to maximise your cassette life , change chain at 0.75 wear mark. There are two schools of thought replace regularly at 0.75 mark or run whole drive train until something stops working. Not sure which is cheaper, but once chain is too worn, plan B is your only option.
Hi trev , i dont have a wear guage but will consider getting one . It makes sense to replace the chain rather than cause wear on the block . I do have a plan C - knick the wheels off the wifes bike and hope she doesnt notice ;-) . Her wheels are like new and she rarely uses anything other than eco mode so the block will have very light wear :)

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I'm same situation as you with wifes 400wh battery and my 500wh. I try to use 400wh for commutes and save 500wh for big rides. This minimises wear (capacity reduction) on 500wh.

When doing long rids together, rotate batteries during ride. You don't want wifes to go flat as she won't be the one riding an unassisted ebike home.

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
I'm same situation as you with wifes 400wh battery and my 500wh. I try to use 400wh for commutes and save 500wh for big rides. This minimises wear (capacity reduction) on 500wh.

When doing long rids together, rotate batteries during ride. You don't want wifes to go flat as she won't be the one riding an unassisted ebike home.
I find with my extra weight and dependance on a higher assist level than the wife that were an even match range wise if i use the 500w and she has the 400w . I do try and use the lower rated 2 amp charger to conserve the battery lifespan

Related Articles

Advertisers