2017 KTM Fogo 271

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I'm currently running factory 11spd with 11-42 and 15t chainring. Have new Sunrace 11-46 and 14t waiting to be fitted, this weekend maybe. I spent most of my time climbing single tracks in eco using 36 or 42 which is wearing out because it is aluminium.
With setup should be able to spread wear between 3-4 lower gears. Hoping lower gearing give me more range for long days.
Fitted new cassette and 14t chainring. Quick run up local hill, low gear peddling speed is 6-7km/hr, before it was 8-9km/hr. The lower speed is perfect when riding with friends on muggles bikes.

The other plus is being able to climb moderate hills unassisted if have flat battery.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I think the combination that you have chosen is pretty much the perfect. You have chosen well. :)
I'm also a fan of Sunrace cassettes, especially when used in conjunction with a KMC chain.

I took a very slow speed tumble on the Fogo this afternoon, which I attribute to eMTB mode, but in taking the tumble, I also discovered that the X1 derailleur is pretty much made of cheese. I was a little amazed at just how easily the that the derailleur cage twisted out of shape. It bent back easily enough, but I now need to put the bike onto a stand to fine tune it.

I definitely don't like eMTB, and put not only my fall down to it, but also a series of other difficulties down to it.

The fall happened when crossing wet tree stump, a tree stump that I have crossed more times than I care to remember. On this occasion the power kicked in too fiercely and made the rear of the bike step out, and down I went. Probably 5mph max.
I then experienced of issues pulling away, with power coming in too sharply and fiercely for the conditions. The same happened when trying to traverse and get over a series of fallen logs.

I first assumed that perhaps it was the tyres causing the issue, then I spotted that the bike was in fact in eMTB mode. I switched to tour mode, and re rode everything again, and didn't have a single issue.

I then tried eMTB again on some climbs, and instantly found that I had to go up a gear, which wasn't what I wanted. The system was not intuitive to my pedal stroke or force being applied, as I had ensured that I had maintained the same cadence. The drop out of eMTB mode, then necessitated a drop in gear, to where I actually wanted to be.

Oddly I am pretty sure than even the Tour mode is different to that of the FS bike that doesn't have eMTB mode. The ride on that is less sharp and more in keeping to how I want the power to be.

I should also add that eMTB mode definitely had a noticeable impact on battery consumption, and it wasn't for the better.

As an aside to riding the bike, I have also been coming up with a design of front mudguard for the bike. I loathe mudguards of any description, the exception being the RRP Neo Guard, but the company have no immediate intention of bringing guard out to fit inverted forks. To this end, I have had a play and made my own, but have already decided to make a MKII version that mounts behind the forks rather than in front, It is too bulky as it is.

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Fitted new cassette and 14t chainring. Quick run up local hill, low gear peddling speed is 6-7km/hr, before it was 8-9km/hr. The lower speed is perfect when riding with friends on muggles bikes.

The other plus is being able to climb moderate hills unassisted if have flat battery.
Here are Bike discount PN and price for complete drive train.
Sunrace 11-46 cassettee pn20036921 €42
KMC x11e chain PN20040952 €23
Bosch lockring (must for 14t) PN20025729 €8
Bosch oring PN20025725 €2
Connex 15t chainring (don't have 14t PN available, bought it earlier) PN20018865 €8
XT jockey wheels PN20027672 €11.

Total €85

Switch from chainguard to lockring should help in mud. Clearing jammed chain due to chain suck is nightmare with chainguard.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Still a few more weeks before work eases slightly and I can get more riding time in, but this bike just keeps impressing me, or possibly the plus size wheel/tyre combination does.
I can't get over the limpet like traction that the size affords, and my first decent wet weather ride last night, didn't disappoint.

For the ride on the South Downs I had been running 22psi in the rear and 18psi in the front, but found that traction wasn't the best last weekend when riding locally in the damp. I have now dropped to 18psi rear and 14psi front, and the difference in feel and available traction was very impressive. The front is now spot on, but I still think that I need to loose a couple more psi in the rear. One thing for sure, the ride is certainly plush and inspires both confidence and very controlled speed.

I decided to fit the Ragley tracker saddle in the end, although the OE Fizik saddle was surprisingly comfortable, and I also removed the quick release seat post clamp in favour of a solid bolt on type.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
i used to have a mud fascination as well, when i was 8
Leaving aside your childish remark, it would appear that in respect of being eight years old, any preceding and or subsequent years of education within the subject of English grammar were certainly wasted upon you. :rolleyes:

Now to address the very odd statement that you have for some reason decided to make within a specific eMTB review thread. No one is forcing you to look at either this review thread, nor the eMTB photo thread. If you don't like the content of either, simply use the ignore function.

Just for clarity though, the clue as to the bikes intended use is that it is sold as an eMTB (electric mountain bike) a role that it performs brilliantly to date, as do my other bikes. Here is a link that you might like to view. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_bike

Riding the KTM Fogo 271 on the road and keeping it clean would be a pretty pointless thing to do. Many of us still enjoy the same things that we enjoyed as an eight year old, so why does age have a bearing upon enjoyment? Just for review reference though, the bike is actually quite pleasing to ride on metaled surfaces. It rolls incredibly well, the tyres aren't overly noisy, and it is very comfortable with a commanding riding position. The one caveat being that the front forks have a tendency to pull slightly to the left under initial braking. This trait is only really noticeable of metaled surfaces, and off road I don't seem to notice it at all, or have just become used to it.

I'm just glad that I haven't grown up to be as embittered as you frequently appear to be, and still know how to have fun in the mud.

To cheer you up before you head off for an afternoon nap, here are some photos especially for you.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Slightly off topic but I note your use of the word analogue!
What a good one word response to fire back at the uneducated who shout cheating when you pass them!
Chant..
"Cheating"..
Response..
"Analogue"
Sorry.. now back to reading this informative thread..

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
That was a serious headlight Eddie, what kind is it?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Forget it. Eagle F3. Saw it in another thread.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The guy that I rode with in Switzerland said that they refer to bikes as either "retro or bio" :D
Motor or not upright bikes are still so 19th century :p

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Time for a short rainy-day update.

The isn't really much to add, other than I don't think that I have ever enjoyed riding a bike as much as I have this one, and it seems to encourage playful riding.

Arguably, I could perhaps have done with the next frame size down, but I tend to prefer larger frame sizing, although it does have it's disadvantages when tackling tight and technical terrain with short steep climbs.

I really can’t believe just how much grip and speed that is afforded by the 650b+ set up, to the extent that you could be forgiven to thinking that the size was created with eMTB is mind. If you have never tried this size, you really should, or perhaps shouldn’t, as you might not want anything else afterwards. I had intended to ride the Macina Lycan today, but scanned the tyre size, and just thought no. I have now settled upon tyre pressures of 16psi in the rear and 14psi in the front, and remain amazed by the traction that is given by even the OE Schwalbe Nobby Nic. My original intention of downsizing the tyre size for winter use to gain chainstay clearance, and also swapping tyre brand/type isn’t even in my head anymore. Even in today’s wet and muddy conditions, I didn't feel the need for additional grip, although controlled slides did happen a few times. But that is the thing about this bike, any iffy moments don’t turn into drama. I’m not sure whether it is the frame geometry, wheel/tyre size, or the front forks, but this bike is faultlessly user friendly and confidence inspiring.

Speaking of the front forks, clearly it is still very early days, but I really do rate them very highly. They certainly have a couple of very odd design quirks about them, which perhaps might not suit everyone, but I can say without hesitation that I prefer them to the front forks on my previous and current bikes. I’m also surprised that the stanchions remain so crud free, and I am expecting good things from the life span of the seals. They are just so compliant and nice to use, and with the flex, it feels as though the suspension has suspension. The forks do pull to the left under heavy braking, but this isn’t something that causes me any concern. One negative that I could say about them, is that I suspect that upgrading to a larger disc size from the OE 180mm, might not be the best of ideas. The 180mm set up is adequate rather than outstanding, but anything bigger might just be asking a little too much of them. For my riding use, the set-up is fine though, so all good.

Now for a bit of change from my previous comment about not liking eMTB mode. I very much suspect that the issues that I was having with it, must have been linked to a possible software glitch. It is still a worthless addition when pulling away on wet and slippery ascents, but the fierceness that I was experiencing with it has now ceased, and it has become an enjoyable mode to use. I haven’t found the time yet to get into Cycling Made Easy to have the system checked, but it is on the list of jobs to do. I had been dead set on having it removed and the software container added to prevent re-installation, but it is now on the re-consider list.

The sign of brilliant Sunday morning ride.

Reactions: Deere John and Gaz

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Time for a short rainy-day update. [...]
Nice reading. Ain't it nice with wide tyres. Was out with my regular MTB yesterday. The thinbike :) only 2.25", feels like a gravel bike now :) as you write it is very confidence building. Only downside is that it can be slippery in some occations. But otherwise only positives I think. As long you don't ride enduro or something, then I have read, that the tyre can crawl of and other strange things, because of the low pressure.

Well. What do you think of the EX1 now after a while? Quality, function.

I was into the ebike store the other day and got my hands on bike with EX1. At the same I found the need to replace my cassette, chain and the derailleur was crashed, again, so I bent it in place but it feels very unstable. So I thought it was time to replace all things. Might just as well buy a EX1 kit, so I did. Will be great to try. Have read alot and it feels very right sort of. Only issue is that I hope gearing will be good because I have only 16T option on my bike. So it is like it is. But I feel that I don't need higher gearing for now so I guess it is good. On the Haibike with EX1 in the store they had also 16T. Also hope the chain is not wide enough for the Haibike standard sprocket but I think not.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I think that it is perhaps slightly wasted upon me.

I have always changed gear smoothly and never carried out multiple changes, so the one shift at a time just feels normal to me, but I can't deny that shifting when under load is super smooth and very precise, and this wouldn't have been a riding style that I would normally adopt. With other systems I sort of subconsciously ease off pedal pressure slightly when changing, but with the X1 you don't have to at all.

I do need a new rear mech hanger it was bent in a fall, and as hard as I try to straighten it, the feel isn't as crisp and precise as it was.

I really couldn't say whether I feel that it is any better than say my Shimano XT Deore and Sunrace set up on the Lycan, so the question could be, do I consider the system warrants the cost, and based upon my own personal use, my answer to this to this would be no. If I were racing then perhaps it would be a different story.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can go eagle 12spd and still save 60 quid over a ex1 cassette lol.

it will all have to be the gx range but id rather have that than the ex1 ;)

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ

Finally did some MTBing with new drivetrain. What improvement, replacing chainguard with locking nut makes cleaning so much easier. Lower gear works treat when riding with unassisted riders, managed quite a few kms of unassisted climbing. Should increase life of cassette as spend less time in low gear which is alloy spocket.

I don't think I'll go to 13t chainring but could see it being an advantage in alps.

Rick Bullotta

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Hi, EddiePJ. I also own a KTM with the Boltron fork (mine is a Kapoho Macina), and thus far I am not particularly impressed with it. There is a noticeable top-out "thunk", a bit of bushing slop, and plenty of oil seeping onto the sliders (I know that is partially by design, but wow). I've also had the fork "stick down" on me, even with the rebound and air pressure properly set.

My biggest gripe, however, is the lack of a service manual for the fork. There is a user manual, but it doesn't provide any information on maintenance, disassembly and assembly, fluids, etc...Magura has been no help either.

My intention is to replace it with a Fox 36 unless Magura steps up with proper documentation and solutions to the issues. And after I replace it, I'll likely be stuck with an expensive piece of kit as I'm not sure how easy it will be to sell.

If you want a spare fork and a spare front hub, let me know. ;-)

Thanks in advance for any additional experience/feedback on the fork, and also any guidance as to where to find a service manual.

Cheers!

Rick

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hi Rick, I am afraid that the only info that I have been able to find is the following pdf, which isn't of much use. http://www.magura.com/media/922396/boltron_2017_en.pdf

I have yet to experience any of the "thunk" that you describe, but oil is already slightly weeping onto one of the sliders. I'm currently just keeping an eye on it.

I oddly really like the fork, and find it very compliant and fun to use. But perhaps they just suit my style of riding.

I hardly ever ride on the road, and I'd not really want to with these forks on the road, as they certainly pull to the left under the initial braking phase. It isn't something that I pay any attention to off road, but don't find it pleasant on road.

A limitation with them, is brake rotor size. With 180mm up front, the feel afforded by the fork, doesn't match braking performance, and I would prefer more of a ramp up on the compression side. You always manage to stop, but I'm sometimes left wondering what would be the result if you had to suddenly grab a big handful. I kind of feel that I'm often in a balancing act between the brake and fork performance.

I'd quite like to pull the forks down, and see exactly how they are assembled and operate, but as they are under factory warranty cover, I'll leave them alone.

I guess that the crucial question is, would I buy another bike that had them fitted, which I would find hard to answer, as for the most part I love the feel, but I'm not holding out for durability. If the forks failed out of the warranty period, I suspect that I would more than likely change them for something else.

Many thanks for the offer of the forks and spindle, and had you been in the UK I might well have taken you up on that, just so that I can play with them.

Last edited: