2018 Giant Quick-E+

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Here's a quick review for anyone thinking about one.
The 2018 model has 10 speed, and the bigger 500 integrated battery. Two small niggles, the standard seat went in the bin, and the battery rattled a bit on rough roads, but that was an easy fix with two small gel buttons normally used to stop kitchen doors shutting with a bang (diy stores have them for pennies). The whole package is well put together, cables routed internally, and the rear pannier frame easily supports my large Carradice Bike Bureau. The pannier frame has two inward facing pre threaded (5mm) spigots on each side, which I presume is for fitting a platform, which would be relatively easy to make with basic diy tools.
Unusually, for me, the riding position/set up has been comfortable from the start, bars, grips, stem length etc.
Learning how to get the most out of the battery has been interesting. My daily round trip is 30 miles, over varying terrain. I can easily do two trips on one charge, three if I'm careful. During the week I took the bike out on some mountainous roads, and using all three power modes, achieved just over 70 miles before the battery ran flat. This journey was not made with the power on at all times, only when required, and did include 3 pretty severe climbs.
The "dash" readout is good, although you need a bit of practice to get the most out of it. If it tells you there's 10 miles reserve on full power, that means 10 miles in near perfect conditions on flat roads, not climbing steep hill's, which greatly reduces it.
The hydraulic brakes are excellent and progressive, and the Schwalbe tyres are good.
A full charge takes takes just over 5 hours, and the battery is easily removed and replaced, but would benefit from a carrying handle.
Speed wise, my journeys are slower than on my road bike, but what is great is gliding up the last steep hill on the way home at 14 mph and feeling (and looking) casual about it. Once home the bike is easy to clean, and the mudguards do a decent job of keeping the road muck off bike and rider, so all in all I'm more than pleased.
As a foot note, I would add I spent a lot of time researching, before I bought this bike, and the final thing that swayed me was having an excellent local dealer. :)

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Good first review Shan, Giant make great e bikes and the Quick e looks the business as well. I understand that Giant batteries are manufactured in such a way that they are more efficient than their Watt/hour rating suggests. I really like the Yamaha motor as well , really smooth and powerful. I reckon there's a lot of fun in doing loads of research before deciding, spending hours on the internet gathering info and reading other owners experiences. And it's definitely important to have the back up of a good bike shop. I don't use my road bikes much now and plan to sell my carbon Planet X . Won't sell my Old 1949 Claud Butler or my 1994 Mercian though, love classic steel! Keep us posted on how the Giant goes, no doubt will be really reliable.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Good first review Shan, Giant make great e bikes and the Quick e looks the business as well. I understand that Giant batteries are manufactured in such a way that they are more efficient than their Watt/hour rating suggests. I really like the Yamaha motor as well , really smooth and powerful. I reckon there's a lot of fun in doing loads of research before deciding, spending hours on the internet gathering info and reading other owners experiences. And it's definitely important to have the back up of a good bike shop. I don't use my road bikes much now and plan to sell my carbon Planet X . Won't sell my Old 1949 Claud Butler or my 1994 Mercian though, love classic steel! Keep us posted on how the Giant goes, no doubt will be really reliable.
Thanks, when I went to pick up the bike it was set up perfect, I didn't even have to alter the saddle height, the personal touch is something that is sadly lacking in today's world, and the small independent has so much more to offer, which is why I continue to support them.
The motor is really smooth in Its delivery and doesn't suffer any "flutter" when you hit the governed speed cut out, it exits smoothly and starts up smoothly when you drop back to speed again.
I've encountered a bit of "hostility" for buying this bike, like its only one step away from a mobility scooter, but once the detractors have had their first go they are pleasantly surprised. :)

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Well it's usually those that have never tried e bikes that are the first to voice a negative opinion! I've noticed over the years that change is hard for some people to adjust to, I remember back in the early eighties when mtb,s first came on the scene many of the traditionalists took an instant dislike for various reasons, but now the MTB and hybrid styles of bike are overwhelmingly the most popular. I've always preferred touring and only did time trialling to keep fitness levels, loved cycling through Scotland and Wales. Now just like to find good quiet routes, not too bothered about breaking records now at my age ( we are of the same era I think). For me ebikes represent all that's enjoyable about cycling. Getting up to speed, maintaining speed against a headwind, and climbing long and steep hills are the three things that drain a riders energy levels, and ebikes make all those things easier. By being less tired, a rider can feel more comfortable, which adds up to being able to travel further enjoying more miles, which in turn increases fitness. After doing 70 or 80+ miles on an ebike I can still enjoy the evening without being flaked out on the sofa, unlike when on a conventional bike. So I don't care if anyone gives me any stick for riding electric, after taking part in ultra long distance 12 and 24 hour events in the past and cycling more miles on a bike each year than those did in their cars, I don't feel I have anything to prove. Many are misinformed thinking that ebikes don't maintain fitness, and also don't realise how they can be beneficial for those with conditions such as Parkinson's or Rheumatism. It won't be too long before the masses see the light, sales are expected to soar over next few years, just as mountain bikes did, but who care as long the converted continue to wear the ebike smile!

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Couldn't agree more. I have a friend who suffers from MS and the e bike has helped immensely. My personal way of looking at my bike is that it is replacing the use of a car rather than any of my bikes. If you remember these things, plenty used them when I was a boy. I've also got an Italian 2 stroke Buzz motor that attaches to the bottom bracket stashed in my shed.

Attachments

Reactions: arao99

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Its not mine, I just remember them from my youth. I stayed near a precast concrete works and half the staff had them, they're actually pretty awful, the roller wears the rear tyre out quickly, and slips in the wet and snow. Plus with it being high up makes the bike a bit top heavy, and they flex a bit, but they were an adequate form of transport when cars weren't affordable.

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Hows the new Quick E going, still pleased? I had a look at one at my mates shop, a Giant dealer down here in the Midlands, it's obviously a quality machine. It's only the lack of a proper rear rack that would put me off as it only caters for a couple of panniers. I think that Giant have come up with a bolt on modification though, putting a top to it so that a rack pack can be carried.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Hows the new Quick E going, still pleased? I had a look at one at my mates shop, a Giant dealer down here in the Midlands, it's obviously a quality machine. It's only the lack of a proper rear rack that would put me off as it only caters for a couple of panniers. I think that Giant have come up with a bolt on modification though, putting a top to it so that a rack pack can be carried.
Its great thanks. I'm using it daily, and now that I understand the best way to use it, I get three days worth of travel from a charge, which is between 60 to 70 miles. On my bike, it would be easy (for me) to fabricate a top rack. So far my huge Carradice bike bureau carries all I need. It'll be interesting to see how I get on through the winter. I agree with your comment regarding quality, its the first bike I've bought that I haven't had to fiddle with (saddle excluded). The only mod I'm going to make is to fit a flap/extension to the front guard to reduce the amount of road crud that gets flung up around the drive. I've managed to reduce my daily run a bit because I can sail up a steep climb that I avoided on my single speed. Getting fed up with the negative comments from "real" cyclists though.;)

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
I think you will probably hear less negative comments over the coming weeks as the wind and rain gets worse, especially north of the border. A lot of those 'real' cyclists tend to hibernate until the daffodils start springing up! As quoted by Riesse and Muller.... Ebikes have 'Tailwind as Standard!'

• Agree
Reactions: mr_s81 and SHAN

mr_s81

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 1, 2017
NI
I am one of those 'real' cyclists and the reason I purchased an ebike is so that I can continue riding into the winter when the winds and general hassle of the cold, wet mornings make me take the car instead! I'm 36 so probably a bit younger than many ebiking converts, but the move for me has made sense so far.

There's time enough for 'real' cycling when things are a bit more pleasant weather-wise. I'm enjoying ebiking too much at the minute to be venturing back to the 'analogue' bike for commuting any time soon. I can now complete my 9.5 miles commute in about 26 minutes each way regardless of the weather. I'm still able to work up a good sweat (we have showers in work so I can still work hard), but I no longer have to dread the inevitable horrible headwind I normally experience on the way home.

I still feel like I'm working hard, (my legs can testify), but the commute is done quicker and I'm less likely to take the car when the weather isn't so pleasant. I'm also using the bike more in general for messages in the nearest town (9 miles away) rather than using the car so clocking up more miles on the bicycle as the weight in the panniers has less of an effect. Ebiking at the minute is currently a win-win for me. :)

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Ebiking at the minute is currently a win-win for me. :)
Same here, my journey times via e bike are actually slower, but I no longer have the "oh no" bit when I look out the window before going out. Plus I wear "normal" clothes.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Well everything is fine. With good management I'm achieving approximately 70 miles between charges. I have had one problem; the OE tyres. For a good number of years I have been puncture free using either RimBo or preferred Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I've had more punctures in the last week than the last 7 ? years, so new tyre's are going on.

Happy riding. :)

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
I see some reference to offensive language has been made regarding my original post.

Why ?
Hi Shan pleased you are still liking the Quick E , thanks for updates. There is obviously no offencive language in your reports, am I missing something? Can't see where the references to these are?

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Hows things up north Shan, got snow I presume?
Not too bad. Had a light covering at the start of the week, all gone now. The temperature has been hovering around 0 c and minus, but its milder tonight. I'm getting a bit precious about my new bike in the bad weather though. I used to have an old "Postie's" Elswick for the winter which was fine with a low bottom bracket for cycling in snow, but I foolishly scraped it.