25st rider - available bikes?

chinsup

Just Joined
Oct 2, 2016
Herefordshire
Hello all,

I've been searching for the past month, reading this forum and going through a wide assortment of options and I can't seem to find something suitable on my own that is actually available - so I thought I'd ask!

I'm 25st, 5ft 10in with a 30" inside leg. I've been looking at Kalkhoff XXL models but they seem to be out of stock until the new models appear next year, similarly the Gazelle HeavyDuty - with both being quoted at far higher prices than the previously available models, pushing the Kalkhoff (at a quoted £3299) beyond what I'm happy to pay.

Beyond those, I'm struggling to find something suitable with most bikes seemingly not listing a weight capacity. I have thought about taking a punt on one that comes close (Wisper 805) but it's a lot of money on a gamble for an extra 20% over the quoted capacity!

I've no preference for folding/non-folding, or frame type, and my usage is going to be 6-8 miles a day on mostly flat ground so battery capability isn't a massive concern as most seem to do this with ease.

Am I missing a blindingly obvious option?

D

Deleted member 4366

Do you have DIY skills. If so, you can make your own, which will be much more suitable and a lot cheaper. buy a cheap used mtb with a steel frame. install a 48v 201 rpm Q128H motor and 09 bottle battery with 20A controller from BMSBattery. The kit is very easy to install. Total cost about £600 including the bike.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hello all,

I've been searching for the past month, reading this forum and going through a wide assortment of options and I can't seem to find something suitable on my own that is actually available - so I thought I'd ask!

I'm 25st, 5ft 10in with a 30" inside leg. I've been looking at Kalkhoff XXL models but they seem to be out of stock until the new models appear next year, similarly the Gazelle HeavyDuty - with both being quoted at far higher prices than the previously available models, pushing the Kalkhoff (at a quoted £3299) beyond what I'm happy to pay.

Beyond those, I'm struggling to find something suitable with most bikes seemingly not listing a weight capacity. I have thought about taking a punt on one that comes close (Wisper 805) but it's a lot of money on a gamble for an extra 20% over the quoted capacity!

I've no preference for folding/non-folding, or frame type, and my usage is going to be 6-8 miles a day on mostly flat ground so battery capability isn't a massive concern as most seem to do this with ease.

Am I missing a blindingly obvious option?
Hi Chinsup,

If there is no particular reason you are looking for a folder. The Wisper 905 or 705 Torque would be far better options for you than the 805. Although we have chosen very tough locks and hinges, a bike without a break in the frame will always be stronger. My choice for you would be 905Torque with 575Wh battery.

All the best, David

• Agree
Reactions: Mike63

chinsup

Just Joined
Oct 2, 2016
Herefordshire
Thanks for the replies and advice.

I don't fancy a DIY job right now, I don't profess enough knowledge to do it with any confidence. Maybe the next one could be a DIY project.

The Haibike again doesn't offer a reported max weight limit high enough, and the user review that was linked notes wheel and brake concerns with higher weights which would turn into a DIY job. I'd much rather an 'off the shelf' option as one of the reasons I'm the weight I am is an inherent laziness!

I think I'll make arrangements to trial the Wisper 905 on David's suggestion but I'll welcome any other options.