30 very happy miles on my new Crossfuse!

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
After a lot of trouble with my Crossfire I returned it for This Crossfuse and I'm so glad I did! I think I got a fantastic deal!

I got the bike, mud guards, 3 years service cover, the large lock for £1380! Halfords has really taken care of me!

So I picked the bike up yesterday and I'd done 35miles on. Riding a mid drive bike is a different world over riding a hub driving bike! The mid drive is a lot more of a natural feel to it and MUCH quieter! Having the weight in the center of the bike makes a big difference as well! I will say you have to work harder on a mid motored bike over a hub. You could find the sweet spot on the crossfire were you'd barely have to put any effort in and the bike would push you forward which you cannot do on the mid motor as you have to put more into pushing the pedals!

I've done 35 miles over the last 24 hours and killed the battery from a full charge. We cannot compare the mileage range use because them 35 miles have been in the wind which I never did with the crossfire.

The wind has been so bad that I couldn't even free roll down the hills!!

Anyways, I'm so freaking happy right now! Added all my bits and bobs to my bike and I'm just looking forward to the wind dying down so I can see what the real range will be on my new breast :D

Happy cycling everyone!

my bike.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: daveboy and Fat Rat

John doncaster dn6

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2018
Really pleased for you. It's ideally the bike I want but I'm waiting until next year to see how I get on with a used freego first.

Keep us updated on the reliability and how you get on with it.

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
Hi John,

Sure will! It is going to be my main form of transport now so I'll be adding 50/100 miles a week on it so I'll be telling all aspects of the reliability.

It is already more reliable than the Crossfire, i had my first cut out at 9 miles on the crossfire!!

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I too am very happy with my Crossfuse. Just done 33 miles today down the Mosel Valley
I can’t undetstand why you have not got the elegant brown saddle fitted and the proper accessory stand that fits to the two bolt holes at the back
Mike

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
The brown seat is horrid! What stand are you talking about? Halfords said they don't do a stand made for the crossfuse.

fredtop

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 28, 2017
St Helens
After a lot of trouble with my Crossfire I returned it for This Crossfuse and I'm so glad I did! I think I got a fantastic deal!

I got the bike, mud guards, 3 years service cover, the large lock for £1380! Halfords has really taken care of me!

So I picked the bike up yesterday and I'd done 35miles on. Riding a mid drive bike is a different world over riding a hub driving bike! The mid drive is a lot more of a natural feel to it and MUCH quieter! Having the weight in the center of the bike makes a big difference as well! I will say you have to work harder on a mid motored bike over a hub. You could find the sweet spot on the crossfire were you'd barely have to put any effort in and the bike would push you forward which you cannot do on the mid motor as you have to put more into pushing the pedals!

I've done 35 miles over the last 24 hours and killed the battery from a full charge. We cannot compare the mileage range use because them 35 miles have been in the wind which I never did with the crossfire.

The wind has been so bad that I couldn't even free roll down the hills!!

Anyways, I'm so freaking happy right now! Added all my bits and bobs to my bike and I'm just looking forward to the wind dying down so I can see what the real range will be on my new breast :D

Happy cycling everyone!

View attachment 26853
Apart from the reliability issues and the more natural feel, how else does it differ from the crossfire?
I have a crossfire and have the dreaded cut out problem, so am considering something like a crossfuse, I have only ever ridden the crossfire so don’t know what a crank drive bike feels like. You mentioned you have to put more work in which I don’t like the idea off as I’m using the bike for work and don’t want to shower after my commute.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Crank/mid drive are torque sensor drive so it provides power in relation to the effort you put in so the ride/pedal action is more like a pedal bike.

Hubs are in the main cadence sensor if even if tired /fatigued you only need to in part ghost pedal for activation or pop it in to highest assist for ease of use.

Crank for sporty riding and cadence for leisurely commute riding.

fredtop

Mar 28, 2017
St Helens
Crank/mid drive are torque sensor drive so it provides power in relation to the effort you put in so the ride/pedal action is more like a pedal bike.

Hubs are in the main cadence sensor if even if tired /fatigued you only need to in part ghost pedal for activation or pop it in to highest assist for ease of use.

Crossfire still has torque sensor though, but I can ride slowly (around 7mph) up hills with very little effort although I usually take it to above 15.5mph which can take some effort on the steeper hills.
So I’m guessing very little effort on a Bosch crank drive wouldn’t get you far?

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
Apart from the reliability issues and the more natural feel, how else does it differ from the crossfire?
I have a crossfire and have the dreaded cut out problem, so am considering something like a crossfuse, I have only ever ridden the crossfire so don’t know what a crank drive bike feels like. You mentioned you have to put more work in which I don’t like the idea off as I’m using the bike for work and don’t want to shower after my commute.
Riding a mid drive feels completely different. I think I need to reward what I said about needing more work to move the bike. It was VERY windy since owning the bike and today I rode the bike and the wind is no way near as bad!

So I now can feel the full power of the motor helping me and it is doing a lot more than I thought it was.

The crossfire is a great bike and I think it is great value for money when it is on sale, but the cut out issues plagued me from day one. The Crossfuse is a better bike in every single way.

Want to know one of the best things about the new mid drive (active line plus)? No drag what so ever! With the crossfire once you hit 16.3mph the assist completely cuts out and you REALLY feel that drag on the back motor and I found it really hard to keep above 20mph as I was always fighting the rear hub motor.

The newer mid drives are completely different. There is NO drag on the motor once the assist turns off! I'm finding myself being able to hold 23mph in the same place where I would be doing 15mph because the bike isn't working against me.

Also I cannot explain what it is like going from having most of the weight on the back wheel to having in the center of the bike. I now feel like a fighter jet compared to the crossfire!

I'm so glad I didn't just put up with the cut outs which I nearly did. The final thing for me was when I was riding home after a 12 hour shift up a long hill and it cut out completely and refused to turn on. Took me 15 mins and having to take out the battery a number of times to get it working.

I tired EVERYTHING to stop the freaking cut out issues! I think it is the BMS on the battery cutting everything randomly because there is no pattern to the cut out issue!

Hope this helps, I'm here anytime you want to ask any questions! It's a big step spending that kind of money on a bike so ask away :)

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018

I don't know about that, I'm finding my commute much better on my mid motored bike but that said I am not unfit and I'm able to keep my bike at a higher speed.

The extra miles per charge is another thing to think about as well. on the Crossfire in the top mode you'd get a maximum of 20 miles to a charge, Crossfuse I'm getting around about 30 on the highest setting! But it is hard to compare at the moment due to the freaking wind being so mental!

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
Crossfire still has torque sensor though, but I can ride slowly (around 7mph) up hills with very little effort although I usually take it to above 15.5mph which can take some effort on the steeper hills.
So I’m guessing very little effort on a Bosch crank drive wouldn’t get you far?
I think it all depends on the gear you're using, a mid drive motor is a lot more gear sensitive over a hub motor for sure. That said, if you're riding slowly (7mph) you wont notice any difference what so ever between the two! Slower you ride more you noticed the drive helping you.

fredtop

Mar 28, 2017
St Helens
I think it all depends on the gear you're using, a mid drive motor is a lot more gear sensitive over a hub motor for sure. That said, if you're riding slowly (7mph) you wont notice any difference what so ever between the two! Slower you ride more you noticed the drive helping you.
Riding a mid drive feels completely different. I think I need to reward what I said about needing more work to move the bike. It was VERY windy since owning the bike and today I rode the bike and the wind is no way near as bad!

So I now can feel the full power of the motor helping me and it is doing a lot more than I thought it was.

The crossfire is a great bike and I think it is great value for money when it is on sale, but the cut out issues plagued me from day one. The Crossfuse is a better bike in every single way.

Want to know one of the best things about the new mid drive (active line plus)? No drag what so ever! With the crossfire once you hit 16.3mph the assist completely cuts out and you REALLY feel that drag on the back motor and I found it really hard to keep above 20mph as I was always fighting the rear hub motor.

The newer mid drives are completely different. There is NO drag on the motor once the assist turns off! I'm finding myself being able to hold 23mph in the same place where I would be doing 15mph because the bike isn't working against me.

Also I cannot explain what it is like going from having most of the weight on the back wheel to having in the center of the bike. I now feel like a fighter jet compared to the crossfire!

I'm so glad I didn't just put up with the cut outs which I nearly did. The final thing for me was when I was riding home after a 12 hour shift up a long hill and it cut out completely and refused to turn on. Took me 15 mins and having to take out the battery a number of times to get it working.

I tired EVERYTHING to stop the freaking cut out issues! I think it is the BMS on the battery cutting everything randomly because there is no pattern to the cut out issue!

Hope this helps, I'm here anytime you want to ask any questions! It's a big step spending that kind of money on a bike so ask away :)
Thanks for the information, I do hate the drag over 17mph on the Crossfire, I just put it down to it being a heavy bike and noticing difference without assistance but if you've seen a big difference on the crossfuse and can maintain higher speeds then I think I'm sold. Only trouble is my bike is now a year and half old and although still under warranty I can't see Halfords offering me an upgrade. I took the bike in on Saturday and complained about the cut out problem - they have sent an email to the people who fix the bikes and said they'd call me when they get a reply but I haven't heard anything yet.

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
Thanks for the information, I do hate the drag over 17mph on the Crossfire, I just put it down to it being a heavy bike and noticing difference without assistance but if you've seen a big difference on the crossfuse and can maintain higher speeds then I think I'm sold. Only trouble is my bike is now a year and half old and although still under warranty I can't see Halfords offering me an upgrade. I took the bike in on Saturday and complained about the cut out problem - they have sent an email to the people who fix the bikes and said they'd call me when they get a reply but I haven't heard anything yet.
Have you always had the problem? if so ask to speak to the store manager, explain in a professional manner what the problem is super common and you can show him or her many posts about the issues and is there any chance you can trade up to the crossfuse if you add the extra money.

The Halfords by mine have been amazing and super helpful. They admitted to my face they shouldn't be selling the bike as it has had the exact same issue for nearly 3 years and they cannot fix it. I had my whole system replaced including the battery and it still cut out exactly the same. I still have the footage on my phone if it is any good to anyone.

fredtop

Mar 28, 2017
St Helens
Have you always had the problem? if so ask to speak to the store manager, explain in a professional manner what the problem is super common and you can show him or her many posts about the issues and is there any chance you can trade up to the crossfuse if you add the extra money.

The Halfords by mine have been amazing and super helpful. They admitted to my face they shouldn't be selling the bike as it has had the exact same issue for nearly 3 years and they cannot fix it. I had my whole system replaced including the battery and it still cut out exactly the same. I still have the footage on my phone if it is any good to anyone.
I have always had the problem but it is far more frequent than it used to be, sometimes I could go weeks and weeks without a cut out so I put up with it but lately it has been happening almost every day sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row.
I don't want to go down the road of sending it away for repair if it is probably not going to fix it and I only have 6 months warranty left so I think I will try your suggestion and speak to the manager.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
I have always had the problem but it is far more frequent than it used to be, sometimes I could go weeks and weeks without a cut out so I put up with it but lately it has been happening almost every day sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row.
I don't want to go down the road of sending it away for repair if it is probably not going to fix it and I only have 6 months warranty left so I think I will try your suggestion and speak to the manager.
Explain this exact thing to the manager, I'd go down the lines of "I spent X amount of money on this bike and it has had problems from day one, i really need a bike to get to work and it keeps braking down ect" Push it but professionally! Don't get arsey at any point!

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I think both of you Fredtop and Kingsknight have or had Crossfire’s with faults you are not reporting to Halfords
The Crossfire does NOT resist your pedalling over 15 mph. Look at the Suntour HESC web pages. My Crossfire was easily pedalled at 22mph just the same as my Crossfuse - but only sometimes. Most of the time it would turn sticky, sometimes even proving hard to pedal downhill with the power off
It was for this fault that Halfords allowed me to swap
Mike

• Informative

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
I think both of you Fredtop and Kingsknight have or had Crossfire’s with faults you are not reporting to Halfords
The Crossfire does NOT resist your pedalling over 15 mph. Look at the Suntour HESC web pages. My Crossfire was easily pedalled at 22mph just the same as my Crossfuse - but only sometimes. Most of the time it would turn sticky, sometimes even proving hard to pedal downhill with the power off
It was for this fault that Halfords allowed me to swap
Mike
Mike I did report this to Halfords and they said it was just normal drag on the hub! I had my whole HESC recplaced and it was exactly the same. Their test ride bike was exactly the same.

You can get to 20+ mph on the flat but you're fighting the bike evey step of the way!

I think that is the reason I'd only get 30ish miles in tour mode!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I think this is a bit more Halfrauds B.S./lack of staff knowledge. I have two different hub driven bikes and neither acts in the way these have been described. The power goes off, no drama. Sure you feel the weight of the bike but no 'stickiness'. I have had the bikes on the maintenance stand, run to full speed on the throttle, then let go. The wheel gradually spins down to a standstill, no discernable drag. If a geared hub drags, there's something wrong with it or the control.

• Agree

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
I think this is a bit more Halfrauds B.S./lack of staff knowledge. I have two different hub driven bikes and neither acts in the way these have been described. The power goes off, no drama. Sure you feel the weight of the bike but no 'stickiness'. I have had the bikes on the maintenance stand, run to full speed on the throttle, then let go. The wheel gradually spins down to a standstill, no discernable drag. If a geared hub drags, there's something wrong with it or the control.

Yeah I understand why you'd think it could be the weight of the bike but It isn't that. The crossfuse and crossfire weight about the same and I can cycle the crossfuse without the motor with ease.

The hub was 100% dragging! Even the staff said the hubs drag as it was the design. I'm having no issues with my new bike :)