36V 250w 8-Fun Rear Hub - is it user servicable?

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
My Oxygen eMate has done several thousand miles - I don't know how many, as the odometer resets itself from time to time - through freezing weather and heatwaves. As a unit, it hasn't missed a beat & it's still going strong. Of late, however, the whine it makes - never quiet - has become distinctly louder. The performance is unaffected, I think, but if it was a car, I'd be having it serviced now after 18 months good service.

Is there anything I can do myself, or can you point me in the direction of someone who services these hubs, please?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
warwick, it seems that your motor needs new bearings. If you are stuck, you can send the motor wheel to us for repair.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A re - grease and new bearings would be good for the hub
If you have the side plate with six screws they are quite user friendly to repair, bearings are all common standard size and a few quid each off ebay shops.
Bearings have there size stamped on them, so for example 6001RS or 6013RS etc,etc.

Last edited:

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Thanks. I'll see how adventurous I feel! I might take Woosh up on the offer if time and timidity get the better of me!

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I should add that the noise is a gear whine rather than a bearing one. The bike is silent when coasting. Granted it could be caused by worn bearings...

Anyway, the tyre on that wheel has a slow puncture, so I'll take a look once I whip it off.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Freewheels & cassettes also have bearings so may be due for replacement as well.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
The cassette was replaced a few weeks ago when I had the bike serviced, but the LBS didn't, understandably, want to touch the electric bits.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I did my bafang cst either last year or year prior at the 3500 mile point, two bearings inside I replaced.
6904RS bearing I think is located on the brake side so you need to remove all the innards at the same time I also replaced the main central one approx.60mm or so. bearing 6811RS was about £6 so didn't mess around not replacing it, again easy to replace and just needed easing/prying up with gentle even pressure on opposite sides.
A rubber mallet is handy if you need to give axle a helping hand from the brake side.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I'm going to take up Woosh's kind offer and have it serviced there. Not only do I have no time, but my lack of workshop facilities would hamper any repair I'd undertake.

I'll hop on the somewhat hamstrung Orbit in the meantime.

Thanks for all the advice.

Advertisers