36v Bulbs?

kwackerman

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2010
Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can buy 36v bulbs to use on my ebike. I would like to utilize a trailer rear light fitting and replace the 12v bulb with a 36v either 5w or even better 21w. I can get hold of 24v bulbs but assume these will just blow when used with 36v battery.

Any info will be gladly received.

Cheers

Andy

dan

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2009
Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can buy 36v bulbs to use on my ebike. I would like to utilize a trailer rear light fitting and replace the 12v bulb with a 36v either 5w or even better 21w. I can get hold of 24v bulbs but assume these will just blow when used with 36v battery.

Cheers

Andy

you will need 40 volt bulbs not 36 volt on a 36 volt battery

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
I got a DC / DC CONVERTOR (15W SINGLE OUTPUT POWER SUPPLY) off ebay to drop my 36V supply to the lighting voltage-just the IC so had to solder it in and weather protect, won the bidding for only £1 plus postage. It just depends on what is on the site when you look.
For reference I use one from the Melcher IMR 6 family, The outputs are 5V, 12V and 15V. Different chips have varying input voltages- the 40 IMR is 20V to 60V nominal 36V input. For a further smaller voltage drop if needed (eg 5V down to 3V you could just use a resistor of suitable wattage). Efficiency is reasonably high for this kind of component at 75% so is fine for these kinds of applications.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Hi All,

Cheers

Andy
The rear light on my Alien Aurora takes a 36V 5watt bulb and works a treat.

Dave

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
That second unit looks like it would do the business. The first is probably not the one, typically when a semiconductor device states it's maximum voltage as XYZ.....it REALLY means that's the maximum voltage ;) and in this case 40v is not enough.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
?? The max input voltage for the linked to DC-DC converter from RS is 40v, its not enough as it will fail with any voltage over this and a fully charged 36v battery will be around 42v...